S&W 342PD or 640?

It doesn't make sense that a dept. would approve a titanium centennial and a magnum centennial but not the popular airweight version.....maybe it wasn't on the cali approved list for testing at the time.....but if it is between the 342 and 640..the 342 hands down for comfort....

Trust me on this one, SD, if you are never going to carry it in the pocket, go with the 640. On a vest holster, or belt, the weight doesn't make much difference, and the 640 is a hell of a lot easier to shoot than the titanium, and you won't ever wear it out.

I carry a titanium, and they are a bitch to shoot. They're accurate and fast, but I can usually only fire 20 rounds in practice before my hands bloody. The 640 took me thru a 3 day class with no problems. They'll get you thru a gunfight just fine, but alot of practice is NO fun at all.

If'n you're going to carry on a belt holster off duty, go with your duty gun (or a compact version), 'cause you gotta dress to conceal it anyway, and if you can conceal a .38 revolver, with the proper holster, you should be able to conceal the duty piece.

Moon

Thanks for all the responses! Keep 'em coming.

I just went and looked at the 342 and 640 side by side. Sheesh, if I could have it my way, I'd get BOTH! The 640 does have a nicer trigger pull but the 342 is so light. Decisions, decisions...

I tried carrying my roommate's 342 in my duty pant, left front pocket. Didn't work cuz it printed like crazy. :rolleyes:

When I first started carrying front left pocket, I thought I was printing like crazy too. But after a while, I realized that it was just getting used to the gun in your pocket. I've carried front left pocket for 6-7 years now, and no one has ever asked me the proverbial question, "Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

Pocket carry works best with enough loose fabric to cover things up. Pleated fronts and pockets on the seam (not angled forward) help a lot. A pocket holster like the very low cost but effective Uncle Mike's (about $9) covers the trigger, keeps most lint out, and breaks up the revolver's lines. This is where the Ti Js beat the all-steel versions hands down.

If you are going to carry in a pocket or in some place like that, you should buy the Ti version, but you should also buy a 640 (or a 60, or whatever floats your boat and leaves you with some cash) for practice. My experience agrees exactly with DMoon's. You cannot practice enough with a Ti j-frame -- it's too punishing.

So, buy both. <ka-ching $$$$>

JNewell,

I concur, but the one caveat is the 331/332, which is the Ti snubbie in .32 Mag. At 10 oz., the recoil is on par with my 15 oz. 638, so not too bad.

I traded in my 442 to get a 342Ti for pocket carry. It might be worth it for the weight savings in a pocket, but certainly not for your other carry methods. In retrospect it wasn't worth the effort. I should have just kept the 442 and the extra money! The 442 is easier to shoot and is not really too heavy. Too bad the fools in charge don't list it as an option. I also have owned a 640. It was also a good gun. Unless you plan on pocket carry the 342 just isn't worth the price.

Good to hear Watch...I was pining for a 342 until I shot my friend's. I thought i was bear hunting. Then I found a used 442 for 200 bucks and I like the little extra weight. The ti just didn't feel like I was holding anything. I can handle the 442 recoil much better and the 3.5 ounces, like you said, doesn't make a bit of difference in my pants (although I guess 3.5 inches would)...or on my ankle....when buying guns, we always wonder if made the right choice (except in the case of my P7 and Hi-Power)....thanks for the validation....

I really don't think the recoil on the titanium is as bad as everyone says. I regularly put a box of 50 lead or FMJ generics down range thru mine.

I think the recoil of the little Ti J-frames is hard to describe. It has no "dwell." It's not that there's a lot of recoil, just that it's very "sharp." Whatever, after 50 or so, the nerves in my right hand are literally ringing.

Damn, now I want BOTH!!!! Problem is, agency will only allow 3 weapons total for use. Beretta 92fs for duty, S&W 3913 for off duty... only 1 spot left for backup. :confused:

Man, I also get the department issue Ruger KP93 with 3 hi-caps. Not gonna use that as duty though, maybe home defense. Free gun to use and abuse :D

I have been on vacation for a week, so I'm a little late with this post.

I carry an early model 640 (.38 marked "tested for +p+), with rubber boot grips and stoked with mandated federal 147 grain +p+ ammo. We qualify twice a year with 50 rounds, and it is a bit rough on the hands. I have no experience with the 342, but I do not think that it would be fun carrying a lighter gun with that ammo. I can also say that the 640 cylinder over time has become more difficult to spin when the cylinder is open, even though it's supposed to be able to take the pounding.

For the carry modes that SDforce mentioned, the extra weight should not be a burden. I use ankle carry for backup, and I often shove it in my front pocket when not working. The front sight is a bit rough on the pants pocket.

If I could choose my own ammo, I might choose a different gun, but with the 147 +p+, I will stick with something that's a bit heavier.

Back