S&W 342PD or 640?

SDforce

Just a question for the LEOs and those who have experience with the two guns: the S&W 342PD or 640

Which ONE would be better for backup/off-duty?

Here are the factors concerning my decision:
*On duty it'd be either in a BUG body armor pocket holster or body armor strap holster.
*Off duty it'd be carried on a strong side belt holster.
*I don't plan to ever carry in a jacket or pant pocket.
*Department issued ammo is Federal 147gr .38 +p+
*342PD is $599, but only 10.8 oz
*640 is $419, but is 23 oz

My agency has a VERY strict list of approved weapons and approved ammo. I'm only looking at these two guns, and can only use the 147gr .38 +p+ in these weapons. Thanks ahead of time for the advice.

:)

I'd go with the 342PD. You'll have enough gear to carry without the added 12.2 ounces.

The 342PD is a remarkable weapon because it weighs so little, but if it is the only J-frame that you've got, you may not want to shoot it much -- the felt recoil of these is very stiff and even a box of 50 is probably going to leave your hand "ringing." Based on how you're going to carry it, there is an argument that the reduced weight is not as critical as it might be for some other carry modes, and that you might be better off with the 640, which you'll feel a lot better practicing with (and therefore do so more often).

You might also want to consider the S&W 642, 442 , or 638. All shoot .38 +P and weigh about 15 ounces.

I have to agree with AJennings on this. I would go with the 638. Since you are forced to carry a .38 spc load why go with the .357. You will also find the recoil in the 638 MUCH more pleasant than the 342 and can save $200 as well. That brings up another thing, the prices that you mention seem a little on the high side. I suggest that you call Bachman Pawn and Gun on NW Hwy in Dallas, Tx. and ask for a LE price from them.

The 342 is a nice light gun, but I'd choose a 642 over a 640 or 342 anyday. The +p loads get pretty stout in a Ti gun, and having carried a 640 daily as backup or off duty, before switching to a 38 Airweight, it gets noticeable.

BTW, got a good price on the 38. Am still looking for a 642, but I just bought a Baby Vaquero the other day, so that's on the back burner for now.

I'm with the airweight guys...a 642/442/638 are all great, light enough, have smoothe actions and cheaper than a ti....and the extra 3 1/2 ounces makes a world of difference in shooting, but not much in carrying...

Thanks for all the responses. The approved list of revolvers are:

Ruger SP101, S&W 60, 342, 337, 638, 640, 649, 940

I'm limited to only these. Why the 442 isn't on there is beyond me. I'm in California. Thats why prices are SO dang high. Also, most of these models are hard as heck to find. The 2 most common are the 342 and 640. I have yet to see any of the others. It's kinda depressing to walk into a gun store here. It's even worse at a gun show (all pokemon cards and beanie babies). :confused:

I carried a SW 640 nearly everyday for 3 years and loved it. It does weigh a little more but I honestly never noticed the weight. I could not really tell if it was on my hip or not and would occasionally brush it with my elbow just to make sure it was there :)

I did notice the extra weight to be benefit during qulifications. After our 120 round course my hand was just a bit sore from the 640 with wooden Spegal boot grips (which I highly reccomend you check out). I shot the course with a airweight one time for fun and it was well..not fun and I did not score nearly as well. Another factor to think about is the 640 should hold up a lot better to 38+P+ loads than any airweight (the 147 grain +p+ is also one of our three approved carry loads by the way).

One caveat on the 640, I did break the firing pin on it once, the gunsmith said it was because of dry firing. He told me that the concealed hammer Smiths need to be used with snap caps when dry firing due to a slightly different design than the "open" hammer models.

Good Luck, Blueduck

SD,

Another vote for the 638. I am not LE, but concealed carry my 638 more than any other handgun in my collection. I use an Uncle Mike's Mirage which is made specifically for shrouded hammer snubbies. Also, the 638 is rated for +P, which will satisfy your ammo needs, and is very pleasant to practice with using non +P loads.

I may be wrong, but your duty load

MAY go against Smith's warning about heavy-bullet loads in their Ti guns.:confused: If that's the case, you may want to inform your department's training staff.

I would avoid the Ti gun for two main reasons other than cost. First, I've yet to handle one with an action as good as it's counterpart in all-steel, or aluminum-steel. Let's face it, those have been bad enough lately.:eek: Second, it's gonna be much more of a bear to shoot. If it's uncomfortable to shoot, you won't practice with it. If you don't practice with it, you may not qualify with it.

Were it me, I'd get the 639 or 649 IF you really think the weight would bother you on the side of your vest. If you are wearing a steel trauma plate, I think the 640's extra weight would be hardly noticeable. Ditto for belt holster carry. It WILL be much more pleasant to shoot and qualify with.

you're right Victor

I think you're absolutely right Victor about the bullet weight. I could tell them, but then again I have absolutely no say. The "higher power" is a bit behind on the learning curve as it is and think completely different from the street officers. Sheesh, our standard issue is the Ruger KP93 in 9mm. Ever seen 15 failures to fire in a row? Firing pins break in several guns during a qual? :confused:

It's going to come down to how you decide to balance comfort during carry (due to weight) and comfort during use (also due to weight).

I used to carry an SP101 as a second the same way you're suggesting. I've switched to a 442. The lighter weight did make a difference in comfort during carry on and off duty.

I've fired the 342PD. I like the red ramp front and I didn't mind the additional recoil. The 442 was easier to shoot fast, but part of that could have been the different grips.

Given a choice between the two, I'd go w/the 342. You'll carry it more than you'll shoot it - even if you shoot it a lot :)

Try to find one of each to shoot w/your duty load. Either way, neither gun would be a bad choice.

Just to speak up for the 342 and other Ti series here, I am very familiar with them and I think there are carry situations where losing the weight makes a big difference. How many guns do you own where a full load weighs more than the gun? :D But for practice, use something else.

"147gr .38 +p+ "

The 640 would be your only choice. The 342PD is rated only for +p. If you want too risk tearing up the gun with +p+, the lighter weight is a plus. I'm not a cop, but I do carry a gun (342PD with std pressure loads BTW) and to me, weight matters alot.

sdforce, I'm sorry to hear that.

Are you tenured(off probation) yet? If so, SAY somthing.(If not, have a fellow officer who IS say something.:D)

Notify the firearms instructors. Take it to the union. Do it before an officer who's not 'into' guns has a Ti gun lock-up during a fight due to the ammo. Like Wilord Grimley says, "It's the right thing to do.":)

Of the guns on the approved list, I would go with a Centennial model, which limits it down to 342, 640, and 940, IIRC. These are good, reliable, snag-free designs that force you to learn double action shooting - the best way to operate a snubby , imho.

If you don't want or need the light weight of the Ti gun, I would choose the 9mm of the 940 over the 640 38 Special/357. The 9mm really zips outta there similar to a 357 in the 640. The 940 is also smaller (and lighter) than the 357 640 which is nice.

Sorry to expose my ignorance, but is the warning on the new ti guns for all heavy bullets or just heavy lead bullets? I've heard of lead bullets slipping forward in light guns, but not jacketed rounds like the 147 Grain Hydra Shock I assumed we were discussing.

My vote goes for the M-640.
What most, seem to forget is how you are going to carry it. In a good belt holster you would not know that it's there. I have been carrying a M-10 for years. At the end of the day it has to be the one YOU can shoot better with.

Blue Duck357

+p LEAD is warned against due to possible buller jump. The 342PD is not rated for +p+ which the original poster said was the only ammo allowed by his department though.

Back