S&W 19-3

S&W 19s are neat. I have mine for a while now and paid $200 to $250 for them and inherited the Raymond Sassia revolver, a rare 3" version of the 19 with fixed sights.

19-3 is last of the good ones. The 4” & 6” were easiest to come by. The 6” was the bargain for several years. Every one wanted 4” or Snubby and the shorter the barrel the more the bucks, true on N frames too.
Just remember the m19 is a trade off. To make a gun that gave magnum carry to cops, they had to reduce package for weight. The 4” m19 is the best police revolver ever made. Their only drawback is durability with extensive shooting of magnum loads. You can shoot forever with 38sp ammo.

...The 4” m19 is the best police revolver ever made. Their only drawback is durability with extensive shooting of magnum loads. You can shoot forever with 38sp ammo.

Many people that have the privilege to own a Manurhin MR73 will not agree. The MR73 Gendarme is not heavier, nor bigger but considerably more solid.

The S&W 19-3 RS I have posted above was ordered by Raymond Sassia for the GIGN and when he was not happy with the long term performance, his requirements inspired Manurhin to incorporate the best features from many other manufacturers and improved on others. I do not have a 4" version anymore but a five inch Mulhouse gun and the difference in quality to the S&W 19 series is obvious.

LOL the Manuhin revolver is super expensive and not made in the USA, so it won't be in a lot of folk's (certainly not mine) safes here. For what that would cost you can likely own a half dozen Colt and S&W revolvers.

"LOL the Manuhin revolver is super expensive and not made in the USA, so it won't be in a lot of folk's (certainly not mine) safes here. For what that would cost you can likely own a half dozen Colt and S&W revolvers."

I think that price has nothing to do with an absolute statement to call the S&W M19 the best police revolver ever made. The best is ... the best no matter where it is made and quality has its price.

It is not that I can own four or five S&W or Colt revolvers for the price of one Manurhin MR73, I own much more than that already, but since I had bought my first Korth the S&Ws have been mostly in the safes and the Python has been gifted to one of my sons. The remaining Python does not compare in quality and trigger characteristics to a post 1969 Korth or MR73, where the D/A trigger is on a roller bearing.

The only S&W that is special to me is an old 29-2.

Just like the OP, I cash in on a good education and we allow ourselves a few luxuries to make life more pleasant.

My favorite S&W revolvers are the Model 13 and Model 34….

Attachments

• 09E6B686-4B7A-47A2-9763-F3E964B312E1.jpeg
    09E6B686-4B7A-47A2-9763-F3E964B312E1.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 57
New S&W grips finally arrived! Original classic look restored.

Attachments

• IMG_6739.jpeg
    IMG_6739.jpeg
    370.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6738.jpeg
    IMG_6738.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 41
Back