S&W 12-2 Cracked Frame

montana09

So there's a local guy in my area selling a S&W 12-2 with a cracked frame, the crack is in the frame just under the forcing cone. I know it can't be fired, does S&W fix them under their warranty or does it fall outside that spectrum and basically it's a you snooze you loose not worth paying even parts gun prices for? I'm mostly just curious if it'd be worth it to buy on a good deal then be an easy/cheap fix or not

A cracked frame is a deadline item. S&W will not fix it, nor will ANY manufacturer. If its covered under the original warranty, (and if you aren't the original owner, better ask S&W) S&W will replace the frame with another one, and give it the original frame's serial number. Replace, not repair.

If you're buying the gun second, or third hand, its pretty much worth only what the undamaged parts will bring, and nothing more.

Ship the gun to S&W. They can't send it back to you, as that would make them liable.
Nor can S&W legally keep your gun. Nor will S&W repair your gun.

So- they have to remunerate you somehow-either by buying the gun from you, or replacing it.

Trust me on this. I have done it-twice.

See that's what I'm curious of if I buy it for $150 then send it back do they ship me something new or send me money value of a functioning one etc. I wouldn't care if they ship me a completely different gun, a new ones $500+ haha

And I suggested that to the owner but he's the I'm not dealing with this type and didn't want to be bothered to even try

A friend of mine bought a uaed Model 12. The frame cracked shortly after he bought it. He sent it to S&W or called them, the gun is his as is, tough. No warranty, no repair.

Another option S&W might take is to offer you credit for your gun against the purchase of a new gun.

I doubt it would be the full price of a new gun, though...

If you choose not to use it to buy a new gun from them, that's your choice. They offered...

I don't know the outcome but you just can't send a gun to S&W without arrangements made for them to accept it.

I sent 2 cracked model 37s in.
Got 2 new J frames in return.

Don't call them. Email them with pictures of the cracks.
Once they accept the gun, they won't send it back-and they can't legally keep it.

JB Weld won't do a thing for the crack.
The cracked airweight frames are a known issue.
BTW- it has nothing to do with warranty- it's a liability issue.

A current production gun is far different from one that hasn't been made in nearly 40 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mike-
I'm telling you my experience-within the past 3-4 years.
I bought a mod 37 from a friend. Noticed the crack. I emailed S&W and when they didn't reply, I called S&W. They told me no warranty, can't fix it, etc.
Then another rep answered my email. He told me to send the gun in and provided RA. I then realized I had a used 3" 37 that I had never shot. Out of curiosity, I took a look at it. Darned if it wasn't cracked too! I emailed the rep about this, and he told me to send both in. I did.
2 weeks later, he called me and told me S&W was going to replace my guns with new 637s. I asked if he could swap a 642 for one of them, and he agreed. 2 weeks after that, my dealer had them in hand.
This was all chronicled right here on TFL.

This is why I avoid alloy revolvers. Way too many crack. Doesn't even take high performance loads to do it. A percentage just seem doomed.

That guy is knowingly selling an unsafe firearm. Why would you buy a damaged revolver in the first place? Just curious. Oh and the Model 12 hasn't been made since 1986.
Then there's this from Smith's Warrantee.
"Smith & Wesson’s Lifetime Service Policy begins after the warranty period has expired. Smith & Wesson will repair, without charge, for the lifetime of the original owner, any Smith & Wesson handgun purchased on or after February 1, 1989,..."
JB Weld is just epoxy glue with powdered metal in it instead of powdered fiberglass.
"...What have you got to lose?..." Use of your hand. A finger or two.

"...What have you got to lose?..." Use of your hand. A finger or two.

So long as the cylinder and barrel are ok, where the crack is typically manifested on a Model 12 will likely not cause the revolver to blow up if standard velocity .38 Special loads are used. The JB Weld "solution" was made with a little tongue in the cheek (ergo, the :)).

It is not advisable to shoot any firearm with a cracked frame.

Back