S&W 1076, 10mm, any reviews?

Quadsport

Inactive
I bought a like new $450. I was wondering if they had any weak points and will Smith and Wesson would service them if problems arrive?

I'd always heard good things about the S&W 1076.

These guys seem to like it:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...l-1076-in-10mm-auto-object-of-obscure-desire/

I admit a fascination with the 10mm cartridge and kind of decided that a Glock would be the gun for me because I (irrationally) don't like what the cartridge would do to a nice 1911 style gun.

The S&W 1076 for $450, if it was in good condition, would have had me reaching for the checkbook. The reason I never much considered the S&W was because I just never ran across one.

I think you got a nice gun at a nice price.
Good luck.

Quadsport, I owned a couple of 1076s, as well as several other S&W 10MM semi-autos and revolvers. The 1076 is a reliable,robust 10MM pistol, that should serve you well for a very long time. None of my 10MM S&Ws ever experienced parts breakage or damage. The S&W 10s handle the "real" 10MM ammo without the need of double and/or extra heavy recoil springs, buffers, etc. S&W is out of the 3rd. Gen metal frame business now, and I'm not sure if they would service a 3rd. Gen gun.

I personally preferred the 5" guns, 1006, 1026, etc. just due to the increased weight and improved ballistics of the 5" barrel. I currently have a 1026 that I bought several years ago. It has proven as boringly reliable with factory and reloaded ammunition as the other S&W 10MMs I had.

The 1076 is an excellent pistol IMHO, and if in decent condition, you got a big time bargain at $450....

Attachments

• 10mm too (1) (800x600) - Copy.jpg
    10mm too (1) (800x600) - Copy.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 78
I haven't read a bad review of the 1076. But then again, I'm not into the 10MM. Just my preference, nothing more.

I still don't have a 10, but I've had reloading dies and brass for about 23 years. Just haven't decided what I want, but a five inch barrel Smith and Wesson with SA/DA trigger is high on my list. Then find another slide, section two inches out of one slide into the other and have a 7" pistol.

The S&W 1076, there was a recall related to the "odd for S&W" Sig-style frame mounted decocking lever, S&W may even still honor the recall. There should be a couple dots on the frame under the lever if the recall has already been performed. The price you paid is ridiculous, if the gun is in good condition and not torn up you still got it for half of market price.

I still don't have a 10, but I've had reloading dies and brass for about 23 years. Just haven't decided what I want, but a five inch barrel Smith and Wesson with SA/DA trigger is high on my list. Then find another slide, section two inches out of one slide into the other and have a 7" pistol.
Well, as I love the Smith & Wesson pistols and the supply of the 10xx pistol is finite and not excessive, I hate the idea that one would get cut up for this project.

I'd suggest if that is the plan, find a 645 or 4506 slide for the hacking. Either way, not sure where you'll find a Smith & Wesson 3rd Gen 10mm barrel that is 7-inches in length.

The barrel would have to be custom made. I would use a 45 slide, whatever I can find. Lots of gun parts for sale these days, everything there except the numbered receiver. I wonder what the supply line is for those "parts kits". Stolen guns.
Now that I have a Coonan, the need for a 10 is really back burner.

Seven, it has the dots from the recall. Do you know what was done to it? It looks new. The guy I bought it from owned it for about 15 years and said he shot it about hundred rounds..

I'm the happy owner of a 1076. I have owned mine for a half dozen years. I can summarize my thoughts on the pistol into one sentence from the link DaleA posted "A dead nuts reliable handgun that was impervious to the weather, heavy enough that you could kill a man with it, unloaded." That also goes for any of the stainless 3rd gen pistols S&W produced!

I owned the DAO version (can't remember the model number of the 1070 series) years ago when I was going through a 10mm faze. Had a Delta Elite, a Glock 20, and a custom long slide G20. The 1070 series S&W was reliable and shot well. The only problem was it was a brick. No, it was a HEAVY brick. It out weighed the long slide G20 with a full magazine. Finally sold or traded it off.

Dave

Hey Quadguy, how ya fixed for magazines?

I sold my 1076 years ago and find I still have 5 or 6 magazines for it. They are for sale.

Bart Noir

I have one I bought, I'll have to get out out the paper work to check the age, that has been shot exactly 50 rounds. It was not sent in for the recalls, so it is as it came off the line.

I have an extra barrel and maybe some other parts. Wolff has spring kits for them.

It is a hunk of steel.

Since velocity is the 10mm's raison d'etre, I'd get a 1026, if a big, heavy, metal 10mm is what you want.

Since velocity is the 10mm's raison d'etre, I'd get a 1026, if a big, heavy, metal 10mm is what you want.

I have the 'Commander'-size 4.25" 1076, and the full-size 5" 1006.

The model 1026 is simply a 5" 1006 but with the Sig-pattern, frame-mounted decocking lever, same as on the 1076 (as opposed to slide-mounted).

The 5" tube will get you more ballistic benefit from a hot 10mm round.

In fact, the S&W 1006 is the 10mm pistol Sonny Crockett should've 'upgraded' to after his Bren Ten got toasted in a car explosion.

Last edited:
So that's where all the Bren Ten magazines went. Burned up by Hollywood.

Dang but that was a long time ago. Anybody remember the sidearm Sonny started carrying after the B. T. ?

Bart Noir

Well, the 1026 would be a "five-inch 1076", since it does have the frame-mounted decocker.
I'm no fan of DA/SA, but I'll bet 90% of DA/SA autos are never fired in DA mode; rack the slide to load, and start flinging lead.
Apparently, when Miami Vice filmed near water, they had divers available to go after any Bren Ten mags that might fall in the drink, for fear they would be gone when the tide went out.

Anybody remember the sidearm Sonny started carrying after the B.T.?

Following the tragic loss of his Bren Ten, Sonny armed himself with the (then-new) all-stainless S&W 645 which he carried in a SH similar to his B.T. set-up, with 2 spare mags on the off-side.

For the show's last season (1987, if I recall correctly), he switched to the new S&W 3rd Gen model 4506.

Back