Rusty Handgun Thread

Another not a hand gun but I find this thread very interesting and wanted to add this one.
This was my Grandfathers gun. The story I got (no idea if it’s true or not) was that he used the gun for bird hunting and the thing started going off when the pump was set forward. Got so mad he broke the stock and set it in the corner of the garage. This would have been some time in the 20’s.
Over the years at some point the barrel was used to break up something with a sledge hammer (at least that’s what it looks like).
I’ve thought seriously about getting the old girl working again but the biggest problem is that the threads on the receiver for the barrel are striped.
Don’t know if that’s repairable or not, I would also have to find a barrel and stock.
Not for the value but it would make a nice wall hanger.

Last edited:
Spacecoast I totally forgot about this one. Maybe they are twins.
Serial number is 108394

When my father passed away 15 years ago I took all his tools and tool box and box’s of tools.
Several months later going through all the boxes, stuffed in the top of the one tool chest he kept in the garage I found this wonderful piece.
It was wrapped in a greasy rag.
The grips are missing but the gun actually feels solid for an HR and the trigger in double action is very nice. On par with a Ruger SP series. Single action it's about 1/100000 of a pound.
Never fired it and don’t think I ever will.

Last edited:
Someboy gave me (most of) a Webley RIC revolver, yesterday. Really rough, inside and out. I think a month-long kerosene bath might loosen things up.
I'll see if I can post a pic.

Mine is an Argentine Sistema Colt.

I bought this gun at a Gander Mountain store about 7-8 years ago with the intention of making it a project gun and turning it into a carry or range gun. I think I paid $249 + tax for it. It functions fine but the sights are almost nonexistent and the trigger was horrible. I dramatically improved the trigger by replacing the mainspring and sear, and swapped in a long trigger, but that's all I've done. I bought a bag of other parts, new sights, grips, a bottle of black Gun Kote, etc. to fix it up but I just lost interest.

The latest Blue Book says these guns are worth $500 at 60% finish. I can tell you that if somebody offered me $500 for it I would throw in my big bag of replacement parts and shake their hand with gusto! I'm coming to the realization that I'm just not a 1911 guy anymore.

This Model 40 was purchased from a shop in San Francisco in 1962. The owner stored it on his boat down in the marina and the sea air caused corrosion to cover every bit of metal. It was sold to a shop and they polished it as best they could and then parkerized it over the pitting. Absolutely looks like hell (much worse looking in person). But it functions perfectly and it made the perfect carry gun. Can't cause any additional damage from using it and if lost or stolen no tears will be shed. I packed it for about 15 years. Now it's part of my emergency preparedness kit.

standard.jpg

This 1968 Colt has that "patina" gun dealers like to speak about. Patine is another word for corrosion. No pitting, but no finish either. Got it cheap at a local show ($205) and have considered sending it for a nickel finish.

standard.jpg

1st gen .45 Colt SAA found under the mattress of a dead drifter in Elk Park, Montana around 1932. The front sight is a segment of a silver Liberty half dollar. The s/n dates it to 1876. Although it's a bit worn and not as tight as it was in the 1800's, I still shoot it every now and then with 28 grains 2f BP and a 230 grain bullet.

This H&R top break .38 S&W was found in the wall of a house in Butte, Montana about 40 or so years ago by a friend who used to demolish buildings for a living. The grips were missing when found and every spring had been removed... weird. It's a bit loose, but with new springs could be shot again.

This Luger was brought back from WWII by an uncle and is in perfect shooting condition, but the left side is slightly rusted & pitted. The holster is original and still contains the original takedown tool.

He also brought back this .25 Mauser pistol. It is missing the magazine and the entire firing pin assembly... perhaps something to do with bringing it back?

Back