Rust on guns? Help!!!

I'd put them in a gun case(or a closet) with some dessicant packs or a dehumidifier. Living in the deep south, the humidity is going to reek havoc on your guns.

I've oiled them lightly and wiped all oil off and I have also tried leavings thin layer of oil on them... Regardless they still rust

Stop using oil. Use a good grade of grease instead.

Well, I bought a cheap $5 gun sock from Walmart and put my rem 700 in it a couple of weeks ago.... It seems to end the rust issue. However my model 770 was rusting badly, so about a week ago I purchased another one and put it on ( talk about dedication involved getting a stock on a gun that has a 16" long scope on it). I'll pull it out tomorrow and see how it's doing. I did pull the blinds up in my gun room today though and there was water all over the inside of my windows ( it did rain last night). The contractor will be hearing from me. My house isn't very old , but I might try re caulking the windows. Btw the gun socks stink something awful, I'm guessing it is silicone based on what people have told me but it sure smells a lot more toxic than that. $5, and made in china, what can you expect.

Water on my windows after new construction was unexpected since I wrapped the walls with plastic. It meant I needed to cover the crawlspace floor in addition to getting the underfloor insulated and plastic covered. That ended the water on the windows. You may have too much moisture maybe related to new construction or an older home? I did come across gun socks in a sales flyer. I thought they were just something cheap to transport a gun in, but the sales ad says they are designed for gun storage and prevent rust.

Rem oil is all I've been using. Regardless of if I wipe the oil completely off or leave a layer on it, 3 days later they seem to rust. All of a sudden the $5 gun sock is kicking a**

Also, move them to the other room.

Don't forget to :

A.) Clean your gutters
B.) Get those windows re-caulked. Be sure they use a ladder and caulk the top of the window while looking down at the work. I've seen guys just stick the tube of caulk up there and hope they get it right.
C.) Check the weep holes on the window frames, unplug them if necessary. Hopefully, the windows are not upside down.
D.) Check your siding joints, is it caulked? Sometimes contractors will just butt the joints tightly and call it good. That works for about 15 minutes.

Last edited:
One thing I will never do is put guns in another room where people can see them. This room is entirely for guns and my fishing rods and it is a locked room. My closest of friends and even family members are unaware of what I own. I don't trust people, plain and simple. I'm dang sure not putting guns in a room that a youngin' sleeps in. I'll caulk the windows, but then again the gun socks are kicking ass, much better than my high dollar hard cases do.

Guv- I live in a nice neighborhood. I don't think my neighbors would like looking at a window unit, nor would I. I'm sure there is even a rule against it per the hoa. Those idiots walked in my yard while I was building my fence and told me that I had to ask permission from them to build a fence. I think I won that argument. Also, someone photographed me replacing the starter on my camaro z28 awhile back..... We can't work on vehicles here. I'm ready to move to the woods!!

I know what you mean. One neighborhood here has no cars parked in drive overnight more that 3 days and no storage in garages?
Sounds like the gun socks are working. I'd still get some eezox and put on them.

The first thing you will have to do is get rid of the rust. Until you completely get rid of it, you will never stop it. From that point, Tri-flow should take care of you.

You MAY be oiling the guns too much. I know that sounds crazy but too much oil traps any moisture between the barrel and the oil film causing rust to form under the oil covering.

Oil prevents rust by shielding the metal from oxygen. No oxygen, no rust. There's no such thing as rust forming under an oil coating.

----------------------

The OP should try an oil made for the job. Such as:

Break Free COLLECTOR

This is an excellent choice, because it goes on easily and doesn't need to be removed.

If you REALLY want to protect it, use LPS3. It's not as convenient as BFC because you'll want to wipe it off before using the gun. I once had a shotgun barrel covered with LPS3 that sat in a soggy cardboard box for three months without a speck of rust.

If all else fails, use RIG grease. It won't rust with RIG, period.

Back