Russian Mosin Nagant Model 1891/30 7.62x54R

Are you sure your thinking of a Mosin?

Its pretty much a physical impossibility for a Mosin safety to "snap off" due to the way it operates.

I'm certain I'm thinking of a Mosin, my M44 specifically. If you don't seat it all the way, or accidentally sweep it against something, the safety snaps off.

That's what I'm saying.

I'm certain I'm thinking of a Mosin, my M44 specifically. If you don't seat it all the way, or accidentally sweep it against something, the safety snaps off.
+1. The only thing that holds it in the "Safe" position is a little ledge on the receiver. It's possible to hang the cocking piece just barely on the edge of the little ledge, and since it has the full force of the firing pin spring pulling on it, it doesn't take much to knock it back into the "Fire" position. Furthermore, if you (or Private Simonov 60 years ago) do this a bunch of times, you're going to round off the ledge and make the rifle more and more prone to this problem. :(
I agree with everyone else though...working the safety is a PAIN!!!! And you can forget even bothering with it if your hands are cold.
For the OP's benefit, one of the reasons for the stiff trigger is that these rifles were built to be carried with the safety on "Fire". If the rifle is correctly assembled, it can be jolted extremely hard and the cocking piece won't "push off". Many historians seem to agree that most Russian and Soviet troops in the field carried their rifles with a round in the chamber and the safety on "Fire".

OTOH this is 2008 and you're not a peasant conscript from the Urals, so I recommend carrying on an empty chamber. ;)

Serial number question

I just bought, what appears to be a Mosin-Nagant 1891/30. So far the only markings on it are "1954 UZ1792" and a triangle with another triangle inside (which could be an arrow, but doesn't appear the same as the indications on websites.)
Could anyone give me more information about this gun and the serial number (I'm assuming that's the UZ1793)

carlb416:D

Its from the other place that's harder to say than Tula and no coffee yet and not going to attempt to spell ony cell.

You can find it easy on the mn sites.

I like Mosins. I had to opportunity to go through a batch and pick one with an excellent barrel. It shot high but I fixed that.

I like them for the history of the rifle. I got mine for the CMP Vintage Rifle Matches.

However, I don't understand the comments about it being a hard kicker.

Recoil doesn't seem to be that much of a problem to me, and I'm a real wimp with it comes to recoil in my old age.

On a side note, I found the Mosin a reasonably easy gun to shoot off hand. Probably do to the extra long barrel dampening the wobble.

Speaking of the safety, I just installed a Timney trigger on a Mosin Nagant for a family member and it comes with a Rem 700 style safety. You have to inlet the stock for it, but its worth the hassle and very simple to use. Anyone familiar with the safety on a Rem 700 would appreciatte it on the Mosin Nagant.

As for the Timney Trigger itself, its adjsutable between 2-4lbs, and comes factory set at 3lbs. Its super simple to install, very crisp with absolutely no travel or play, plus has the additional 700 style safety. Its a huge upgrade over the stock military trigger. It cost almost as much as the rifle itself, but if you like the Mosin and want to shoot it to the best of its ability and/or you like tinkering then its worth every penny. You have to inlet the stock quite a bit for it, but just take your time and its fine.

My 303 kicks harder, so does my 12ga.

Only had my mn since Christmas. I worked on the trigger already.
I noticed that you must ensure that the sear catches the bolt squarely. You can get a bright light and look under the cocking piece and see how it catctches. Loosen the screw a little and adjust side to side. That makes a huge difference alone and a little polish job. I found it was good without shimming.

Beware of loose 7.62X54 ammo with yellow painted tip. These are not intended for use in the bolt action rifle. I have been told that they are "higher pressure" and were used in a 7.62x54 belt fed machine gun. Dont know if its true but I have been told this on several ocassions.

Not true The yellow tip designates heavy ball, 182 grain vs light ball at 147 grains. It was intended for machine guns, as the heavy ball had momentum farther out. Not only is the yellow tip safe in Mosin Nagants, some seem to prefer it.

Back