Russian Mosin Nagant Experience

Nah, recoil pads are for sissies! :D

Ignition Override:
Ja, ständigen bis ist der einzige Weg ich mache. Vergib mir, mein Deutsch ist eine kleine abgehackt. Noch nicht wirklich gesprochen zu haben in Jahren.

Problem is, you were firing the Mosin on a bench rest. That hurts MUCH worse than standing up. Try it sometime.

Very true, I'm also going to echo what a a few others have said on here by saying that you have to rest the stock squarely on your shoulder (not high) and hang on tight. That should lessen pain a bit. Even doing this I don't think I would want to shoot more than 30rds from a bench. Standing and sitting are much easier on the shoulder than benched with a Mosin.

Got rid of my Mosin around a year ago, but I don't remember the kick being all that bad. More loud than anything else. (I'm 5'10, 165). I enjoyed shooting mine.

You just have to learn how to get a good shoulder weld. You probably kept the butt relatively high on your shoulder, with your elbow low at your side. If you're shooting a .22 or AR, this is just fine, but not for higher power cartridges. Get the butt SNUG against your shoulder, right on the inside of the deltoid meat, and get your elbow up. Use the sling as well, the typical Mosin sling does have enough length to get a wrap around your left arms' elbow. It's not a M1907 sling, but you can do a handy sling with it easily enough.

I use one of the tickbite butts just to help deal with the short stock length and comb height making me hunch to the sights.

I have a M44, never shot it yet, but looking forward to. I just have to get it to me. I bought it through a friend that is 1900 miles away.

Now I have shot a 12ga with the steel bar retracking butt. I loaded three full powered slugs, needless to say I only shot two.

buy the recoil pad, get a bunch of ammo, and have someone take pics. We're talking fireball here. Love my Mosins. Recoil pads, mojo sights (rear only I like a front post), and we're talking adrenaline rush.:eek:

The M44 is just a hoot to shoot. Ammo is cheap and plentiful and I usually go through ~80 rounds per session. I've had it nearly a year and have gotten used to it for the most part. The fun thing was actually watching someone ELSE shoot it. I got the chance when me and a buddy went out to the range a few weeks ago. I now understand why my Dad said that the fireball out the front was impressive. I never noticed it when I was shooting it but I sure did when my buddy touched one off. I don't use a slip-on pad as it detracts from the beauty of the original walnut stock. If its properly placed on your shoulder and in tight the recoil is quite manageable.

I shot a friend's M44 once. 5 rounds was enough for me.

I had an Enfield jungle carbine once, and I thought the recoil on it was bad. I think the M44 was worse. At least the enfield had a rubber butt pad.

Chaz

Back