Russian 7.62 Nagant Revolver Buying Guide

Odds of getting a Nagant revolver with bright bore

Hi,

If a person buys an un-selected Nagant revolver from a place like J&G (or whomever), what are the odds of getting one with a bright bore?

I realize it is just speculation, since I highly doubt if there has been a statistical study made, but based on the experience of those who have bought them one might be able to make a good guess.

Thanks.

Well, I'd say that given that they came from Russia, where guns were used hard and put away wet, repeatedly, all with corrosive ammo, I'd say the chances of you getting even a select one with a bright bore are pretty low.

Well, I'd say that given that they came from Russia, where guns were used hard and put away wet, repeatedly, all with corrosive ammo, I'd say the chances of you getting even a select one with a bright bore are pretty low.

Considering 99% of the Nagant's on the market are Russian refurbs your chances of getting one with a bad bore are very low. I have yet to see a refurbished Mosin rifle or Nagant revolver come from the importer with a bad bore. Whats the point of sending a gun through the refurbishment process if its going to come out with a crappy barrel? The only Russian refurbs I've seen with bad barrels are ones that were abused by their new owners here in the US. (shooting corrosive and not cleaning properly).

there is a world of difference in between a bright bore and a bad bore. A dark bore is not the same thing as a bad bore. Read my post again and you'll notice I never used the word bad.

I've yet to see a Nagant of any stripe with either a truly bright bore or a really trashed bore with ruhr exception of a Vietnam bringback.

There were a flood of these released on the market recently. Even Gander Mountain was selling them for $99 on Black Friday. I checked some out, and they all appeared to be about the same condition and all came with original holsters and cleaning tools. The dates on the ones I saw ranged from 1940 to 1944.

I believe most of these are unused surplus, but I'm not sure.

Have these pistols been through the same sort of Soviet "arsenal refurbishment" that the 91/30 rifles have?

Yes, for the most part. I've got one with what I'd call a clean bore and one that looks pretty cruddy. Both shoot fine, though. I kind of get the impression that if you can see the rifling, they'll shoot OK.

Back