Ruglin Dark

FrankenMauser,
I wonder how one of the original 444’s with the Monte Carlo (I guess that’s what it was?) stocks would compare to your 07 or my 90’s vintage? They did look a little strange to me though.

To those questioning who this Marlin Dark rifle would appeal to, I'm guessing it's made to appeal to more of a younger crowd, and to those with "modern sporting rifles" who have never really been into lever action guns before. As an example, I would bet that my 22 year old son would probably love it. I bought him his first gun a couple of years ago, an M&P 15-22 AR style rifle, which he loves shooting. Then, for Christmas this past December, a Henry .22 lever gun appeared under the tree for him. We went out shooting with both the guns a couple of days later, and he said that he actually found the Henry to be more fun to shoot. His answer didn't surprise me all that much. I think the fact that lever guns are now featured in a number of video games, including one or two that he plays, may have had an influence as well.

Frank

When it comes to managing recoil. Gun fit is one of the biggest factors between kicks like a mule, and wow that's potent, but not bad at all.
The pitch of the stock is critical, as is the length of pull. They are related in that length will exacerbate incorrect pitch. A bruised cheekbone is an excellent indicator of incorrect pitch.
All the good fitting in the world goes out the window if your mount is inconsistent. Work at mount consistency from your typical shooting positions. If the length is right, pitch is the next place to look.

There are a number of terms about stocks and how they fit, length, drop, pitch, cast off or cast on, and others. All of them have some effect on the feel of the recoil.

All the good fitting in the world goes out the window if your mount is inconsistent.

And, this is also entirely true. Even a perfectly fitted stock will beat the snot out of you, if you don't mount the gun correctly.

knew a fella who had a .300 Weatherby MkV. It was his caribou rifle, had several successful seasons with it. Never a problem. Then, one year, he took it deer hunting. Deer popped out of some brush about 30-40 yards from him, he snapped the gun up and shot. Got his deer.

Also got "Weatherby eyebrow" and a huge bruise covering nearly the entire the right side of his face. The factory stock fit him well enough to not hurt him when used the way he usually used it. Snap shot, no time to mount the gun properly, it beat him up badly.

Now, a 7lb .45-70 with a stock that has the traditional lever gun kind of drop to it, (and a cheekpiece to put your head up a bit for using optics) firing 300gr slugs at 1800fps is going to kick. Pretty stoutly, for some folks, though the muzzle brake should take a lot of the edge off that.

knew a fella who had a .300 Weatherby MkV. It was his caribou rifle, had several successful seasons with it. Never a problem. Then, one year, he took it deer hunting. Deer popped out of some brush about 30-40 yards from him, he snapped the gun up and shot. Got his deer.
I shoot the weatherby 300 wm a lot; it's one of the "jumpiest" cartridges of all the weatherbys IMO; even more so than some of their more powerful ones. I think that might be in part because--at least in my case--I tend not to pull it in as hard as I might bigger Weatherbys. Also the 300's I've shot generally don't have brakes--whereas the bigger ones usually do.

Interesting specs:

Manufacturer: Marlin
marlinfirearms.com
Action Type: Lever action
Caliber: 45-70 Gov't
Magazine Capacity: 5 rounds
Finish: Graphite Black Cerakote/Nitride
Barrel Length: 16.17 inches
Rifling: 6 grooves; 1:20-inch RH twist
Sights: Ghost ring rear; fiber-optic/tritium front
Trigger Pull Weight: 5 pounds
Stock: Nylon-reinforced polymer
Length: 35.5 inches
Weight: 6 pounds, 13 ounces
Accessories: Cheek riser, manual
MSRP: $1,379.

Should make a handy bush/brush/timber gun, where shots on deer-size (or larger) game are inside 100-yds and more frequently 50-yds or less. Limited hunting applications, given both the caliber and the compact size.

It’s a big-bore lever action that’s similar in its concepts of compactness and weight to the Old School Remmy M600 carbine in .350 Rem Mag with 18.5” barrel. Mine, in iron sights only configuration, weighs in @ 6.2lbs (or thereabouts).

It is "compelling"--which is why I hope to get my hands on one to try one day. My collection of rifles that are mounted on nylon/polymer stocks and chassis is growing--I'm sold on the stuff.

Interesting . That is what I did with my first Bandit cartridge , the 45 Bandit which became the 460 S&W . A 16 1/4 inch light weight barrel on a short action bolt rifle . The basic load was a 300 grain .45 cal pistol bullet at 2150 fps . Compact and real knock down power on large hogs . Good to about 150 yards . I even made a 5/8 scale K-98k with a 5/8 bayonet in the caliber .

Back