Ruger v. S&W. v. Taurus .44 mag

Joe Isuzu

Inactive
I'm considering buying a .44 Magnum revolver as a "good boy" present to myself in the coming weeks for the novelty of the thing. (I've shot .44s and owned a .44 Mag Desert Eagle for a short time, but never had a .44 revolver)

I'm looking at something with a shortish barrel if possible (not a snubby or anything, but not a Howitzer either... like 4"-6") and am wondering about a Redhawk vs a 629 or M44... I don't want a Super Redhawk (too big and goofy) or a Mountain Gun (prefer a fuller lug and heavier barrel)

Which one, all things considered (toughness, value-holding, fit & finish, accuracy, user-friendliness, initial outlay), is a better buy? What kind of trigger and/or hammer work would I be looking at to make it pleasant for a .44?

In all honesty, I'm more likely to shoot .44 spl out of it, but want the stronger, heavier gun.

And, please, do not turn this into your personal political rally. We have all read how Bill Ruger molests farm animals and how Smith & Wesson tempers their steel in the blood of innocents.

Thanks!

Greeting's;

If it were my choice, I'd stick with the Ruger Redhawk 5.5"
barrel or a Smith & Wesson pre-sellout 629-5 with the 5"
barrel. The Taurus would'nt even be in the running. Both,
the Ruger or the Smith would serve you well. I own the
629 Classic, and I just outfitted it with a nice set of
the smooth walnut wooden grips with the S&W monograms; and
it sure looks great. It also shoot's extremely well; in the
hands of good marksman.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Joe; I've owned a S&W mod 29, a mod 629, a Taurus M44 blued 4" and a Taurus M44 stainless 4". The S&W's had better trigger's, we're nicer looking and are simply "Classics". Holsters and grips for S&W's abound. I had absolutely NO complaints with either M44. Frankly, they appeared to have a heavier frame than the Smiths. Would they be more durable with magnum pounding? I don't know. My M44's were good solid revolvers and are an excellent value. The Ruger Redhawk is hell for stout and pretty good value also. Never had one but everybody likes their's. Good Luck, J. Parker

I've not shot the Taurus, but the word on it is that they're good, but won't last as long as the Ruger or the S&W. Having spent some time with both the Ruger and the S&W, I can say that the S&W, or at the very least the one I shot, had a much smoother trigger than the Ruger. I understand that it usually works that way, however. If you reload hot rounds, the Ruger might be better for you since it is, I understand, practically indestructible.

The Smith & Wesson by design is the most accurate, aesthetically pleasing, well built and most collectable of the three. The Taurus is the least expensive and most problematic. The Ruger besides being butt ugly is the strongest. If you have a roll of dough burning a hole in your pocket, try something from S&W's Performance Center. Very unique and collectable firearms.

Robert

Why NOT the Mountain Gun?

To me the .44MAG Mtn. is a properly configured piece. At 39oz.it has enough heft to handle occassional stout loadings and is very accurate. They can be found for 425-450 and maintain their value. I packed mine yesterday and was a joy to carry.
....dewey

I was at the garret ammo site and they have P+ 44 mag ammo that they say ONLY SHOOT THROUGH THE RUGER REDHAWK AND SUPER REDHAWK. That, I think, says it all. Ruger Rules! I have the Redhawk in 44 7.5" and my grandkinds will be shooting it...

I just got the Taurus M444. It is a great gun at a great price. But if you want a BIG good feeling gun you might want to keep the Taurus M454 in mind.

ONLY SHOOT THROUGH THE RUGER REDHAWK AND SUPER REDHAWK

That is because it is too long to chamber in most guns. It is using the longer cylinder to allow for a more massive bullet to be shot a a high velocity but at very close to std 44mag pressures.

-CAL

I was pondering the same question. I really wanted a .44magnum that I could shoot specials out of that was sturdy, relatively accurate, and reliable.

I looked at each of the ones you mentioned and they all seemed a little pricey for what I was wanting.

And then I came across a used Vaquero with a 7.5 inch barrel in the Blue Color Case finish and Rosewood grips. For $250.

Bought it on the spot and now have the perfect companion gun for my Winchester 94AE.

You asked about "value,... fit & finish, accuracy, user friendliness, intial outlay." This one covers all those items with good scores. The only remaining one, retention value, is irrelevant when you get a good gun for $250...

Re: Why NOT the Mountain Gun

I don't like the look of it and I don't like the lighter barrel on the front of it. That pretty much is my issue with the Mountain Gun.

I've eliminated the Taurus after handling one this evening. It seems like an ok gun, but something about it turns me off. Just don't like the trigger.

I understand the inherent cache of a S&W (despite that they now test fire them at targets fashioned with puppies and kittens)... though after owning a Ruger SP101 9mm and a GP100 .357, I appreciate the ruggedness of a Ruger, which has not been hindered by Bill's transvestitism.

I wish these choices were easier.

I don't know if a Smith would necessarily outlive a Taurus. A Ruger would definitely take abuse better than either, but I think Taurus would be at least as durable as Smith, if not maybe even more so. Smith magnums just cannot take a steady diet of hot loads. For what its worth, I own a Taurus M44 and a Smith 629 Classic DX. The Taurus is not as accurate as the Smith, nor is it as smooth. But it does appear to be holding up as well as the Smith. And just because I say its not as accurate as the Smith DX, don't infer that the Taurus' level of accuracy is inadequate by any means. The DX is just a damn tack driver! Anything would suffer by comparison to that one. My point is, don't dismiss Taurus out of hand. Good luck with whatever you choose.

S&W overpriced,Taurus a Smith clone,Ruger solid frame no side plates to shoot loose, and the price is hard to beat,
Ruger does RULE!

Joe; I had a couple of "mountain guns". One in 41 mag and the other a 44 mag. Hey, I agree with you...looks are important! I didn't like the skinny barrel either. Scratch the Taurus's (good guns however). Scratch the S&W's...over priced, skinny barrel's, and politically UN-correct. Bill Ruger did this and Bill Ruger did that...the Ruger Redhawk is a sweeet revolver. Best, J. Parker

I like the S&W's. I have a taurus and the trigger could be better. I did get to try a ruger and it had a nice double action trigger I liked a lot, too bad they are so heavy.

shiro

I spent my money on 5.5" stainless Redhawks, and I believe that I made the correct choice.

I am not a "brand buyer". I do not think "price". Function is my only criteria.
I suggest that a 5.5" 44 Redhawk is the correct launch platform.
Add Pachmayr Decelerator grips and a Millett orange-ramp front sight blade. Shoot good ammo.

The best bet for an 'only' .44 Magnum, IMO, considering price, strength, accuracy and looks, would be a stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk with 4-5/8" barrel. I've got a lot of Ruger revolvers, but my pard bought one of those a couple of years ago and I WANT ONE TOO! This barrel length is close to what Elmer Keith carried as an everyday gun; would handle soft .44 Specials well, and still have the heft and brawn to use the hottest Magnum loads if needed. The cylinder on SBH's isn't quite as long as the Redhawk/SRH's, as another poster mentioned...but with rounds short enough for it, it is very capable.
I've tried to talk my pard out of his, but it's already saved him one mauling by a mama bear, and he values it above pearls.
Ruger's stainless steel is great stuff: it takes a trigger job readily, and generally smooths up over the years. I have a 22-year old stainless .357 that runs like it was dipped in silk.
For 99% of the shooting you do, a SA is equal to a DA, with less to go wrong, more strength for weight, and they are damn' handsome.
Don't get me started about Taurus. Brazil should stick to exporting coffee and hot pics of Carnival cuties.

Don't even get me started about Taurus! Perhaps Brazil should export MORE firearms!

I have a stainless M44 with 3" bbl and I LOVE it! It is double action only, so I intend to buy the M444 with 4" bbl and single/double action. And then I will buy the 454 Raging Bull in 5" bbl and case hardened steel. And then maybe a .480. And then a .38 snubbie, and then...

Point is... I love my Taurus and will buy more.

Just about everyone agrees that the Ruger is the stoutest of the bunch. And most people like S&W quality and consistency. And I just happen to like Taurus' VALUE.

I don't really care whether or not anyone else buys, uses, or even likes Taurus. It just means more for me. You can have the Rugers and S&W's that I don't buy...

I've always had good luck with Taurus revolvers. I can't say the same about their semi-auto's however. They were used pistol's so maybe that was the problem. Out of the 8 or 9 Taurus revolvers I've had I only had one problem and that was with a stainless mod 605 a few years ago. It was pretty minor, fixed it myself and I was back in business. As for myself, I can't buy a NEW S&W. Ruger doesn't have innovative variety like Taurus does. Fact is, Taurus is top dog in the revolver market right now. I recently picked up a Taurus mod 415 41 maggie. I'm really impressed with this piece. Fit and finish are excellent, trigger pull as good as my S&W's, and the grip is incredible. Well, it's either a USED S&W, the same old Ruger's (expand your DA revolver line please), forget Colt, or the fine and extensive line of Taurus revolvers. Just my thoughts, J. Parker

I have a 4-inch 44mag Redhawk, cut down, ported, action job, and other work by Mag-na-port. I'm extremely happy with the gun. I chose the Redhawk as a camp gun for black bear country because it will hold up with the heavy Garrett loads. But Redhawks are heavy, and this can get tiresome. Maybe you could compare the 5.5" Redhawk, a 4" 629, and a Mountain Gun at the same shop to see how the relative weights and other features feel to you. I think they are all fine guns. Good luck with your search. L

Back