Ruger Super Redhawk yes/no

superpelly

Ok , I just bought a Smith 64-2 last week, I have an opportunity to buy a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag 7.5 inch , for 600.00 out the door, new condition with box and scope rings I only have Smiths and Colts for Revolvers.

Is this a good price and how are the Ruger's ? Never had one.

It would be fun to put a scope on it and try to take a whitetail deer.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1050.PNG
    IMG_1050.PNG
    708.6 KB · Views: 101
Good price.

If you're in the market, grab it quickly.

Go handle it and see how it feels to you. Rugers are a little less refined and more utilitarian.

Good Lord grab that thing. I just won the bid on a like new 1984 7.5” Redhawk on Gunbroker for $900, a bit high but not kicking myself. $600 is a steal.

Good Deal

superpelly
That is a very good price. Give you a little hint and don't hold me to it but was discussing this model with a friend and he needed a set of 30mm rings. Contacted Ruger and they sent him a set for free. This normally comes with 1" rings. ...... ;)

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!

Good price.

If you're in the market, grab it quickly.

Go handle it and see how it feels to you. Rugers are a little less refined and more utilitarian.

+1. Definitely not as refined as a Smith. But, rugers are revolvers I wouldn’t be afraid to hurt, they are built like tanks, and will outlast generations. Would make a great deer gun I wouldn’t be worried about taking into the woods with me. They feel pretty good in hand and they just work. I don’t own a Ruger revolver myself but my buddies gp100 is an absolute tank of a gun, I’d expect the same, or higher quality from there flagship double action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot one in .480 Ruger. It's a big gun - think chest rig to carry it. But it is a pleasure to shoot. Full house. 44 Mag will be close to pleasant. Now if you can find some ammo...

Super Redhawk is WAY BETTER than the Redhawk. Had a Redhawk and the single spring mechanism can light strike on double action. The super Redhawk like the GP100 use 2 springs and are very reliable and accurate guns. They are just UGLY but beautiful when you are shooting them.

I’ve killed several deer with SRH with the 9.5 barrel with a Leupold vx3 2.5 by 8 pistol scope out to 100yards, I probably have a few thousand full tilt rounds down the pipe with zero problems . $ 600 is s pretty good deal I actually found mine for $450 I had to ask if that was correct price when told yes , I couldn’t get my wallet out soon enough . . If you want to fine tune the action look into hammer / trigger springs and hammer and trigger shims also I did mine with both and my trigger is super smooth. Super easy to do yourself and for about $20 a no brainer.

The Redhawk will shoot any load you can fit into the 44 case. The gun is big
and that help's tame recoil. Don't forget that the 454 and 480 are built on the same frame
just different cylinders.

Buy it it is a fun gun!!

It's a huge, heavy revolver. If you're ok with the weight and the balance, and its looks, it a good gun. Don't expect a S&W quality trigger pull right out of the box.

I have a deep love for Ruger SA revolvers. Never cared much for their DA guns. They're decent but just don't "do it" for me.

Do be aware that despite everyone saying "they're tanks" and "you can stick anything in them" they do have limits and you CAN wreck them with too hot ammo. (that same ammo would also wreck about everything else on the market as well. The point here is that they are strong and tough but not indestructible. Nothing is.)

I love my SRH. It is heavy, but I see that as a positive. I put a Leupold 4X EER scope on it, and find it to be very accurate. If I were to do it again, I think I would opt for the 2X scope of the same type.

I paid $480 for it over 23 years ago. So if you figure in inflation, both of the financial type and the political type, you are getting a very good deal.

Get it! I’ve had the 9.5” SRH for, gee...I guess close to 30 years now. Got me started on the path to becoming a dedicated handgun hunter. It’s built like a tank and quite accurate at 100 yards with a scope. I have a 2-6x Bushnell scope on mine.

Got it, Great shape. Complete package. According to serial number looks like it manufactured in 2004.

Attachments

• 62986052696__1758054C-460D-4664-AEF4-C8CD01D835B3.JPG
    62986052696__1758054C-460D-4664-AEF4-C8CD01D835B3.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 71
I have a GP100 in .38/.357 Mag; a Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag. A Super Redhawk in .44Mag. A Freedom Arms .454. I just ordered a Super GP100 in 9mm.

20 years ago, when I could see better and had no jitters, I was testing the trajectories of 180gr JHP and 215gr cast SWC, using a .44 Mag Super RedHawk with a non-magnified Red Dot sight at 200 yards, off hand, at bowling pins. A fellow shooter stopped by to ask what I was shooting at. I told him. He said, I thought so. What are you using? I showed him. The next week I stopped by local gun shop for "stuff" and the guy was at the counter - he said, "That's him." He was buying a Super Redhawk. Nuff said.

That’s a great revolver and you should buy it.

That said I find Ruger’s big DA guns to be a little less refined.....heavy, unbalanced with just ok triggers and grip fit not quite right to me.

I’m not saying not to get it, just be clear in your mind whether those things might bother you.

I find Ruger’s big SA guns and GP series to be much more refined.

I had one, but ended up selling it because it set in the safe rather than used. I traded it for a NIB .45 Colt original Vaquero and some cash. The Vaquero was a much better 'fit' for me. The SRH, in my mind, is for hunting ... about the only use I can think of. It doesn't pack on the hip, but needs an across the chest type holster. Not a house gun that sits in a drawer, etc. Not a range gun or plinking. So just didn't 'fit' anywhere. I don't hunt any more, and never did handgun hunt. On the plus side it did shoot well and is built like a tank.

Anyway, hope you enjoy yours!

Back