Ruger Super Blackhawk 44Mag

I've owned 3 SBH over the years and still have one. If you are recoil sensitive, at all, the short barrel with the round trigger guard will bite you, even though the short one only weighs 3 ounces less. I have a 5.5" Bisley 45 Colt that I just had a SBH grip frame installed because it pounded my middle finger knuckle. If you insist on the short barrel, get some big Altamont Grips. FWIW, I've got six Blackhawks, two with 7.5" and four with 5.5". I've been using El Paso Crossdraw holsters for a while and can sit comfortably in a vehicle with any.

DSC_0232cs.jpg

Though a little larger, I find the Bisley significantly more comfortable to shoot with stout loads. My hands are a little smaller than average.

I have a blued .44 SuperBlackhawk with the 4 5/8" barrel and unfluted cylinder and love it. I only use it as a range toy, but with my cat sneeze handloads (240 gr SWC's loaded in .44 Mag brass at around 850 fps) it is a joy to shoot all day and shoots like a lazer, second in accuracy only to my Les Baer.

Also, I've taken mine apart for a deep cleaning, and wasn't difficult after watching a youtube video or two.

I have a 9.5" super redhawk. Heavy sucker. As the 5.5" is closer to 6" that's what I'd be tempted to go with at this time if I were going to replace the redhawk.

I’ve got an older Super Blackhawk that I love. I’d go with the longer barrel for the joy of shooting at the range (and hunting) but you’ve got a wider range of use than I do if you’re doing general woods carry. Enjoy it!

Excellent choice....I like the 10.5in version carried around the waist on the outside of my hunting coat in a cross draw style nylon holster.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned with the newer ones quality could be better. It may be that buying one you can look at and handle would be the best idea. I bought a Blackhawk with the 4 5/8" barrel two months ago and was surprised by the good quality.
The Blackhawk I received 2 months ago locks up very tight, is very accurate and the machining quality is very good. Even the trigger was decent for a stock trigger. I did do a trigger job but I very much dislike creepy and/or heavy triggers. First time out I was able to get my 1.5" accuracy at 25 yards without even trying any tweaked loads. I had a SBH with the 4 5/8" barrel and which would also fire 1.5" groups at 25 yards. Wish I never sold it.

I have some experience hunting with this revolver in 44 mag and 45 LC. Barrel length is related to my expected shot distance. IMO, for hunting, I like:

4 5/8: 0-25 yds

5.5: 0-50 yds

7.5: 25-75 yds

10.5: 50-125 yds

I have shot 125 yd deer with a 10.5" 44 mag and a scope. Really, it is all about ease of carry, speed of draw vs your ability to aim the revolver.

But...
Buy used.
Current Rugers are garbage

Not all of them...........My SBHH was purchased about 2 years ago and is just as good as every other example that I've had over the last 25 years.....Not to mention the GP100 44 Special that I purchased a few months back....it's even better than my older GP's right out of the box.

Maybe it's just me, but I find the typical carry statements here just a little bit odd, as if most folks must use the 7-1/2" revolver as a range toy or perhaps a truck gun. What good is it if you won't leave your truck behind and take your revolver on the trail in a holster? Now, I know, most of y'all can't relate to my next question, but I will ask it anyway: If you could only have one centerfire revolver for all outdoor purposes, including trail carry, hunting and related use, actually out in the field, forest and mountains; which would it be, and more specifically, how long would the barrel be? Try to assume, if you can, that you can only afford one; or that you had to sell every every redundant thing in your life due to some unexpected emergency and you had to be ruthless about it. I only have one and it has to make do. Currently, and for the last 20 years it has been a stainless original original Vaquero in 45 Colt, with 4-5/8" barrel, the one that can take hot loads. I backpack into wilderness lakes with it in a holster and bring a fishing rod while I'm at it. My buddy thinks I'm rather good with this gun and maybe I am 'cuz I shoot it a lot. But it has limitations. I do OK with it at 25 yards or so; but it's no 50 yard gun. It has been more than 30 years since I had a 7-1/2" Blackhawk, so, how well I shot it back then is not as clear in my mind as last week with the Vaquero. But it was my trail-gun then and worked just fine in a cross-draw holster. Maybe I should go back to a 7-1/2" barrel because I would like it to be 50 yard reliable? What say ye, brethren: does the longer 7-1/2" barrel shoot well at 50 yards compared to your shorter guns? Just to be clear, I'm referring to a single-action Ruger, holstered revolver, 44 or 45, and no darn scope. Thanks for your shared experiences.

Mine would be the 5" BFR in 454 Casull. Not only do they pack better, but I think they look more balanced as well.
I only load 45 Colts in it, but a 325 gr at 1200 will do anything I could ask of it. And 200 SWC at 950 make pleasant range fodder.

IUnji55.jpg

I use to own a 4" M29 that was exceedingly accurate that I liked and could shoot very well. I also have a Ruger OM Super BlackHawk 7.5 that I've used to kill deer. I don't like handgun scopes and just use the iron sights. It fits in a holster I've had for a long time and is convenient to carry for hunting. If I need a smaller "big revolver", my OM Ruger BlackHawk .45 Colt is what I carry. It has the 4.5" barrel. Out of my 7.5" .45 BH a 265 grain cast swc gives 1250 fps, a bit less in the short tube and not far from a .44mag.

I carry my original, un-altered 7 1/2" SBH in an Uncle Mikes shoulder rig(hammer down on empty chamber of course). Very comfortable, and convenient.

With in the scope of your question I would have to go with a 7.5 in ss 44mag. While I dearly love a shorter barrel 45 colt , if it is one good for everything the 44 mag just gives me more options. If one does not reload the 44 mag is easily available with good strong loads. { example hornady 300 gr XTP factory loads}. I do know magnum level 45 colt loads are out there but they are not as easy to come by on local dealers or big box store shelves as the 44. The longer sight plane makes 50 yard shoots much more doable not to mention the gain in velocity from the longer tube.

With in the scope of your question I would have to go with a 7.5 in ss 44mag. While I dearly love a shorter barrel 45 colt , if it is one good for everything the 44 mag just gives me more options. If one does not reload the 44 mag is easily available with good strong loads. { example hornady 300 gr XTP factory loads}. I do know magnum level 45 colt loads are out there but they are not as easy to come by on local dealers or big box store shelves as the 44. The longer sight plane makes 50 yard shoots much more doable not to mention the gain in velocity from the longer tube.

Mostly agree with this. I love my 45 Colt, but for me the one gun is my 6.5" Model 29.

Well, the caliber is not the issue, as for all intents and purposes, I consider the 44 Magnum and 45 Colt to be roughly equal in performance since I am a dedicated reloader. In my case it would be 45 Colt. However, regardless of caliber, the point of my question is whether going from a 4-5/8" barrel to a 7-1/2 inch barrel will make it a reliable 50-yard gun, as the shorter barrel, clearly is not. Within it's limitations, my short-barreled Vaquero is a great handgun. But I can shoot better than the gun can and am wondering if going to the longer barrel will pay off with extended range capability. Honestly, my current Vaquero is a 25 yard gun. I feel that it would be worth it if 7-1/2" would give me 50 yards of good accuracy, but not if it won't.

There is nothing inherently inaccurate about a 4½" barrel. Elmer did pretty good work with his 4" model 29. I've shot many fine groups at 50 yards with a 4" model 57. Never had a 4" 29, but I do have a 4" 25-5 coming soon. I'll let you know how it shoots.

Here's an idea....lets make a more modern, safer copy of the Colt Single Action Army. To make it even better let's make it so that for loading/unloading you have to visually line the cylinder up with the loading gate. Also let's make it much, much more difficult to take apart and put back together again.

I'm sorry, but get a Ruger Redhawk or S&W Model 29.

Back