Ruger Super Blackhawk 44Mag

Buckeye!

Thinking about making my first revolver of 2018..,
I first thought about a SA/DA revolver .. maybe a S&W 69 or even a Taurus Tracker .. ... Both are lighter .. but 5 shot .. and Id like to try some of my brothers 300gr HC that are a bit stout ... He has had a 3 screw SBH for years ..and has taken quite a few Whitetails and a couple of large blackbears ...
So I decided on the SBH , a no nonsense , tuff as nails SA revolver ..
Im leaning toward a 4 5/8 inch barrel ... making it compact and easier to tote ..
Use of the gun will be range fun and woods carry ...

Just wanting to see what you 44 mag shooters think about my choice or have any suggestions..

Sounds like a good plan to me.
I'm sure you will get some flak about a 4 5/8 in barrel, that's too short , you need a longer barrel for hunting , not as accurate , giving up velocity...yadda , yadda , yadda

I like the 4 5/8 inch , easier to carry, faster into action , lots of reasons....but mainly I just like the way they balance and how they look. Don't let them talk you out of it.....
Gary

I own a lot of handguns, Rugers especially with a 7.5" Super Blackhawk among them. I use it for hunting here in PA. The barrel is a tad bit long for general, all around woods carry, so your choice of the 4 5/8" barrel is a good one.

If I ever get some money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd probably pick up another Ruger with the shorter barrel.

I like the look and feel of the 4 5/8" SBH. And I enjoy shooting it with light to moderate loads. But I find it uncomfortable with full power loads. Others like shooting stout loads in them.

Last edited:
Well, I own a 5" .44 mag (not a SBH) and I really wouldn't want anything shorter. Yes, it carries a tad better than a 6" but the downside is more muzzle blast and a shorter sight plane.

I'm leaning toward a 4 5/8 inch barrel ... making it compact and easier to tote .
Yep, so long as it's legal for hunting in your state, it's far better for carrying, and I've not seen any accuracy difference out to 50 yds using a 4-5/8" bbl. vs. the longer 6-1/2". I believe that while handgun hunting deer or other big game with iron sights, shots should be limited to 50 yds to ensure a good clean ethical kill.

The longer bbl. just pokes up into your ribs on any sort of modern conveyance when using a belt holster. The longer tube can be carried in a shoulder rig or even a tanker chest type, neither of which suits me. YMMV, Rod

I'm in the minority. With the magnums, I like the longer barrels. Cartridge performance is better, sight radius is better, felt recoil is less. I with S&W would bring the 8 3/8 barrel back for the M29. 45s, 38s 9s, 40s, etc. I like smaller. But, if you're going to shoot a magnum...make it a big one. Just my 2 cents. Good luck. Cannot go wrong with a Ruger revolver - they'll outlast you and your kids.

I love my Super Blackhawk. I have a 7.5in model and it's extremely accurate. I also think the dragoon triggerguard 7.5in models look great too.

For decades, the only way you got a Super Blackhawk was with the 7.5" barrel and dragoon triggerguard. Today, you've got a lot more options.

I have one. Also 7.5" Blackhawks. Don't care for shorter barrels on hunting guns. Have 5.5" and shorter Vaqueros for play. For serious work, its adjustable sights and longer barrels for me.

Either/all are good guns, all a matter of what you want most, there's no free lunch.

Sounds reasonable to me Buckeye. Though I've had more than one 7 1/2" SBH, the 4 5/8" - 5" barrels are my favorites. I do prefer the longer Dragoon grip frame to give purchase to my little finger. The shorter barreled SBH variants with the standard short grip frame are too short to be comfortable for me, especially in .44 Magnum. Years ago, I had two 7 1/2" SBHs shortened to ~5" to get the barrel length I wanted, with the longer Dragoon style grip frame. Felt the same when I ordered My Freedom Arms revolver with the 4 3/4" barrel. Fortunately, the FA grip frames are plenty long and relatively comfortable in use IMHO.

I have both 4 5/8 and 5 1/2 SBH. I prefer the 5 1/2 as best over all compromise for looks, feel/pointing, sighting and carry. I was not going to bother posting since the first insulting reply then I read rocks comment on the small grip frames.

Rock is 100% right on and it boggles my mind how ruger would put the single six grip frame on a 44mag just because the barrel was shorter! It looks odd and grip is horrible. I setup both of mine with Pachmayer wrap around rubber grips. Problem solved with an improvement over either grip frame. I have big hands, this may not suit everyone. The hogue does not seem to install and fit as well and it typically scars the bottom of the back strap. The hogue might give more clearance to the middle finger and trigger guard? And, not sure the Pachmyr is still made. I found one on ebay for my 45 black hawk conv. Same deal - small grip frame! I will let you guess the barrel length.

Oh yea, the quality control and new guns do leave something to be desired. I got my recent 45 new, would have been better off with a good clean used example. Things keep changing, it hard to keep up. It is ok though. I will be more careful in the future and no more internet Rugers for me.

Last edited:
I enjoy shooting my 7 1/2" SBH and have taken an eight point with it. But it isn't as fun to carry as a shorter barrelled revolver might be.

I like the look and feel of the 4 5/8" SBH. And I enjoy shooting it with light to moderate loads. But I find it uncomfortable with full power loads.

I've owned Super Blackhawks in 5.5" , 7.5" and even the 10.5" versions and for firing full power 240 grains and heavier I like the longer barrels. The small grip frame of the 5.5" is just like the 4 5/8" and the first time firing it with 240 XTP reloads the revolver pivoted upwards to the point where the sharp edge of the upper grip frame actually cut the base of my thumb.

For the short SBH I would still rather have the longer Dragoon grip frame. The short grip frame is fine for 22 lr Single Sixes and even Blackhawk 357s.

Id like to try some of my brothers 300gr HC that are a bit stout

Good luck!

Goid choice! Have had my 7.5^ SBH since 1977-78. Great piece, accurate as hell put thousands of rounds through her without a hiccup. I think your choice of a shorter barrel is a good one. I recently switched to a 4" 629 because the 7.5" SBH in a hip holster (my preference) was uncomfortable sitting in my stand, or car. The shorter barrel carries much nicer for me.

Be well

My 7.5" 44 magnum Super Blackhawk is my favorite firearm. I prefer shooting the longer-barreled revolvers, but I don't prefer carrying them. If the OP is going to carry his, the shorter barrel makes sense.

I also would recommend buying used. They are very sturdy tools. Mine is from 1970 or so and has been shot a lot. It still functions perfectly and is more accurate than I am. I won it for a $399 bid on Gunbroker a couple of years ago.

Back