Ruger SRH 10mm?

If Ruger decided to do a 5-shot 10MM GP, I'm still in. Id' much rather have a heavy duty 5-shooter, than a 6-shooter that was less so.

I have no experience with 10mm magnum but for someone looking for something more in 10mm, it would seem like a likely avenue. I do have revolvers in 10mm and 41 mag, two 6.5" Ruger 10mms and a Ruger 5.5" Redhawk in 41 mag. I have never bought factory rounds for the 41 mag and the 10mm factory stuff I bought is pretty tame. Handloading your own ammunition the 41 mag has the edge in power but it is not a big jump from the 10mms. Both 10mms are very accurate (as is the 41 mag) and this is a round that headspaces on the case mouth, not on the rim like a 38/357 mag. I would think that just hanging a 10mm unsupported at the mouth in a 10mm mag chamber would not make it shoot better. The moon clips are not as solid as a case rim. It may work fine and if the 10mms did not shoot very well this may have been something worth looking into.

Both 10mms are very accurate (as is the 41 mag) and this is a round that head-spaces on the case mouth, not on the rim like a 38/357 mag. I would think that just hanging a 10mm unsupported at the mouth in a 10mm mag chamber would not make it shoot better.

That's not entirely correct if you're talking about the 10mm AUTO.

In a semi-auto, e.g., a Glock 20, the 10mm does head space on the case mouth. But in a revolver, where the cartridges are loaded into the cylinder chambers via moon-clips, they head-space on the clip.

The moon clips are not as solid as a case rim. It may work fine and if the 10mms did not shoot very well this may have been something worth looking into.

Maybe, maybe not.

At least in my old 6.5" S&W 610 using the moon-clips, the 10mm ammo was very accurate. No complaints on that point. Now, maybe if the clips themselves are out-of-spec crap, ....

By the way, I never got around to having my 610's cylinder reamed out to 10mm Mag. Sold it before that idea came up ...

Last edited:
That's not entirely correct if you're talking about the 10mm AUTO.

Can't speak to the 610 but on the SRH, they headspace on the mouth. You can load it without the moon clips and they seat to the same depth; very solidly. The only difference is the extractor/ejector will not remove them and I just take the fired cases out individually with my fingers. When I was testing some loads I just skipped the moon clips to save the time of putting them in and out of the moon clip.

Here is a link where he mentioned shooting with or without the moon clips. In the second video he explains it in more detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FRdbdf_7cU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbmob147ues

Last edited:
agtman,
I am fully aware of bullet crimping and that if you want to head space on the case mouth a firm bullet crimp will not work.

Guess my 44 mag bullets creeping was just my imagination.

Back