Ruger SR1911 in 10mm, Pros, Cons.

NobodyJones

I shot a friend of mine's FRuger SR1911 in 10mm yesterday and it was amazingly smooth, low recoil and very accurate. So since my idea of getting a 5.7mm pistol has died I am now looking at this.

Does anyone here actually own one? What's your review? Any reason you would say not to get this pistol?

I already own 9mm and .45 acp pistols, so I'm not looking for a caliber war. This would be something new for me.

Personally, I like the 10 mm. I had a Bren Ten, then the Springfield "Omega".
I sold those and bought a Colt Delta Elite. I still have it.
I've added a Glock 29, and the full size Glock.

Sorry, I do t own the Ruger mentioned, but I'm confident that a proven, known cartridge like the 10 mm, and a company with an excellent record of great guns like Ruger will yield a great result.
Buy it, you'll love it.

The main thing you need to know is that about half of the "10mm" ammunition available is loaded down to .40 S&W levels. You'll need to look at the box or the manufacturer's web site to make sure you're getting full-power 10mm.

While I don't have any experience with the 10mm Auto chambered SR1911, I can safely say based on my brother's NRA Limited Edition Ruger SR1911 chambered in .45 ACP, that Ruger makes one heck of a nice 1911.

attachment.php

So I have no doubt that their 10mm Auto 1911s are excellent too, and if I were in the market for a 10mm 1911, then Ruger would be my first choice.

I'm not looking for a caliber war.

Well you shouldn't find one because there is no such thing, its a nonsensical term invoked on gun forums when somebody doesn't like the caliber discussion.

I've got the Ruger 10mm 1911 and its a nice pistol, can recommend.
I've also have Ruger 1911 in 45 acp as well as lightweight CMD in 45 acp & 9mm and would say the same for those.

I have the Ruger SR1911 in .45ACP. Only comparison I have for that is one of my Springfield's is chambered in 10mm. Absolutely love it. I love my Ruger, as well. My speculative answer is if Ruger made their 10mm as well as their .45ACP version, then it would be worth getting.

Thanks for all of your answers.

I have definitely put this pistol on my list and will be doing some looking for a good price.

If you want full power 10mm look at underwood and Buffalo bore. If you want 10mm I would not hesitate on the ruger.

I like 10mm, and like the Ruger 1911. But I don't like them together. If I'm buying a 1911 make it a 45. If I'm buying a 10mm I like them fired from a Glock.

But that's just me. I'm sure Ruger makes a fine 1911 and one in 10mm is sure to be a fine gun.

I like 10mm, and like the Ruger 1911. But I don't like them together. If I'm buying a 1911 make it a 45. If I'm buying a 10mm I like them fired from a Glock.

But that's just me. I'm sure Ruger makes a fine 1911 and one in 10mm is sure to be a fine gun.
I'm on the fence. I generally feel 1911s should be in 45acp. I can't stand 1911s in 9mm. but 10mm does not seems sacrilegious.

I like the 10mm 1911, the only thing to watch for is overpowering the gun and cracking the frame by the slide release. The only reason I would stay away from the round is if you don't reload. 10mm can be a bit expensive if you don't reload for the round, just something to look at. I enjoy my S&W 1006 & 1076 10mm guns and would love to add a Glock 29 to the mix.

One of the first 10mm Auto Pistols on the market was the Colt Delta Elite 1911, so there's no valid reason to shy away from a 10mm 1911. If the design couldn't handle it then there wouldn't be so many on the market, much less the amount of folks who swear by them.

So yeah, if you like the 1911 design and want a 10mm Auto Pistol, then it should be a no brainer to get a 10mm Auto 1911, and Ruger makes a darn good 1911 in any chambering.

Thanks for the additional responses.

My original question was about the SR1911 in 10mm. Many have answered that question, as well as other responses about 10mm 1911's, and I appreciate it. I appreciate the information on ammunition too.

I understand there are a ton of Glock fans out there, and I won't try to dissuade you in your opinion, but I am not a Glock guy. They don't fit my hand well and to me they don't have the natural pointability of the 1911. But I never try to talk anyone out of any pistol they want to buy or are a fan of. If one brand was the answer there wouldn't be so many to choose from.

I have 4 10mm handguns and two of them are 1911's. One is the Delta Elite Gold Cup and the other a Springfield Armory Range Officer Elite Operator and they are my favorites. I have a buddy that had a Ruger 1911 10mm and after shooting my Range Officer sold his Ruger and bought one. Nothing wrong with the Ruger, just liked the Ranger Officer better. Better trigger and more accurate.
SAROELOPERATOR_2.jpg

Some have said in the past not to get the cast framed RIA 10mm 1911.

The Delta is forged and gets some abuse.

I'm not saying this is true of Ruger. That would be the one area to focus your investigation. It should shoot, should be accurate, and any factory 10mm is about .40 level. I don't know if anyone could tell you if this is a valid area to consider.

So I would focus on researching a cast frame 1911 in 10mm using hot 10mm. If you aren't concerned about hot 10mm, I think you are good to go.

Personally, for all of the hubbub over investment casting over the past few decades, one would assume that any doubts in regards to the longevity of investment casting would have been long since put to rest by none other than Ruger considering that their Revolvers like Blackhawk/Redhawk are capable of holding up indefinitely to loads that are otherwise only capable of being shot from a heavy duty Freedom Arms, Colt Anaconda, Taurus Raging Bull, or Manurhinn MR-73 Revolver.

So yeah, not only are concerns over investment casting arguably unwarranted, but otherwise also completely invalid for anything made by Ruger who pioneered investment casting in the firearms market, but also made some of the absolute toughest, heavy duty firearms on the market.

Agreed, BUT on a 10mm using hot Underwood or Buffalo or DT?

I think that is an entirely different conversation to have. Meh.

That is something I'd look into. If I'm not shooting Underwood or BB or DT all the time, I wouldn't worry. But then I also wouldn't buy a 10mm if I wasn't going to shot a lot of Underwood or BB, or DT :)

I have a Springfield 10mm and if there is a con it is only if you reload. It ejects the cases to the next zip code.

Back