Ruger sp101 vs. Taurus 605

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the repies I guess I have finally found a good place to come for solid opinions. I am sold on the Ruger aftere a little range time with the ol mans security six. Now I'll have to make a new post about holsters and carry with for the sp101... this will be coming soon... Thanks all

Best

The only thing I don't like about mine is the factory grips.

I actually like the factory grips, I just hate the plastic panels they ship them with. Luckily a fellow who goes by "41 Magnum" over on Rugerforum.net makes nice wood inserts for the Ruger GP100 and SP101 grips. I bought cocobolo sets for both my GP and SP. He makes them from some pretty exotic stuff too though. Excellent craftsmanship and quick service.

I recently picked up a 605. I chose it over the SP101 due to weight first and price second

just picked up a 605 (blued) last month and had been in the same situation between an sp101 and a 605.

the gun is a pocket and/or ankle carry so that ruled out the slightly larger and much heavier ruger. I have had exactly 400 rounds of 38spl, 180rds of .357 mag and 100 rounds of .38 spl +p through the gun with out a single problem.

I would recommend getting the hogue grips for the taurus. they add more grip/tackyness to the gun and personally they fit the hand better.

if you want a good gun you can't go wrong with the ruger, but i have found no problems with the tuarus 605 to date.

JOE

Is grip tackyness somthing you really want in a pocket gun?
I do like the way Hogue grips feel on alot of guns thow.

I have a Taurus 605 SSCH but if money was not a consideration, I would go with the Ruger. For my carry piece, I much prefer my Smith & Wesson 638.

Ruger SP is the way to go

I picked up a SP snubbie 357... I was very impressed w/ the quality and would hands down recommend the Ruger over the Taurus. I put the Hogue rubber grips on for a better fit for my hands. I think the the revolver looks better w/the grips also.

The SP-101 was my first carry gun back in 1993 and it is still a frequent "go to" gun in my selection of favorite CCW pieces. I don't have any real experience with the Taurus revolvers, but I don't hesitate to say that I love my 2 1/4" SP-101. :)

006small.jpg

I was deciding between the two, went with the ruger.

I love to shoot .357s out of it. I put on a hogue grip and I can shoot .357 all day very very accurately. I leave .38 +P for my girlfriend.

I have the 101 and love it. Even full power 125 loads are not a problem or punishing. I also have a Security Six. Ruger revolvers are built like tanks.

I have owned a Taurus 605 SS for about a year. I purchased the 605 principally to shoot 38s through it. I have owned snubbies before and the small, light-weight guns are not fun to shoot hot 38 loads. The 605 is engineered to handle a 357 load. This gave me confidence to use it with hot 38 loads and it was a good decision as that little gun performed beautifully. It is a purpose built handgun and it is not meant to be a super accurate match trophy winner. My gun pals are pretty good shots and I typically outshot them at 21 feet while they used their Sigs, Colts and Glock pistols. The fit and finish on the gun was great and I never had a problem with it. I suppose the only issue I ever had was when I got near 100 rounds at the range, the gun would run hot and the shells would not eject as easily.

Just to see how the gun would handle Magnum loads, I put half a box of 357s through it. The gun operated fine however the experience was not great. Each shot felt like a mini baseball that was being smacked into my open hand. After about 10 shots my right hand was vibrating. The gun still shot very accurately but the longer I shot it, the more my hands were shaking. In fact, my hand was vibrating for nearly an hour after I finished shooting. I know there are trade-offs and with a little gun, this is what you deal with for that emergency situation.

I decided that I wanted a gun that was slightly larger and would manage the Magnum loads a little better. My SP101 3 inch Ruger is in DROS now. I don't expect it to manage Magnum loads like a full-size gun but look forward to a more pleasing experience when shooting Magnum loads. I will follow up with this post and give you my first out of the box and range impressions.

I am aware of the age of the post. The reason for posting was not meant to respond directly to the individual who began the discussion; rather, to add to the topic. That's the beauty of the internet. Old posts stick around for a while and serve as a reference for others with the same or similar questions. Will follow up with my impressions of the Ruger Sp101 very soon. Your response will be tolerated with patience then, as now.

More info

So I gave the Ruger a first look at the range a few days ago. Certainly has more heft than the Taurus. The front sight is made from black plastic and gets lost in the low profile rear sights and subdued lighting of an indoor range. I ended up putting small glow-red stickers on the targets and then had good contrast between the front/rear sights and down range.

I practice at 7 yards. The Blazer Brass 38's had very little kick with no hand fatigue. On my 4th set of 5 shots, the gun was shooting tight groups.

I shot a few 357 loads (Blazer Brass) and although it wasn't as difficult to shoot as the Taurus, I wouldn't put in extended practice time with it

In all, I'm very pleased with the accuracy and build quality. Will definately invest in some higher contrast sites.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back