Ruger sp101 vs. Taurus 605

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market for a CC .357 snubbie. After much looking and contemplating I have come to a decision between either the Ruger sp101 or a Taurus 605. I have a Taurus 85 in .38+p and it is a great lil gun (this will be becoming my wifes CCW as she is in love with it more than me I fear). My father has an old Ruger security six in .357 and that also is a great gun and deerslayer. I am looking for some opinions on which gun would be the better "boom" for the buck?

The Ruger SP 101 gets my vote. I have one as does my mother and a few range buddys.
They are very well built revolvers that will stand the test of time.

Id get the Ruger
I have a few Taurus revolvers and they are great guns, Id buy another in a second but not over a Ruger.
Its real hard to beat a Ruger revolver

The SP101 would push the Taurus 605 down, steal its lunch money, and make it run home after school crying.:D

I've put thousands of rounds through my 2.25", .357 SP101 with no apparent effect. It still looks brand new, and locks up as tightly as when I bought it new. I have tested it for accuracy by shooting it from a bench rest, it's suprisingly accurate, with about a 2-3" group at 75feet. I recommend it highly.

Last edited:
Which feels best in your hand? I have a 605 and it's great. It shoots nice tight groups all the way to the back of the range. My friend got a sp101 and didn't like it, so go figure. I've heard of problems with both. I will say this: If you're thinking about pocket carry then go with the lighter of the two. If you're going to mostly shoot magnums, then go with the heavier. Whatever you get, look it over good before you walk out the door with it.
Otherwise buy a S&W Model 60 which is probably better than both. :)

Otherwise buy a S&W Model 60 which is probably better than both
I did not want to swerve off the two guns you mentioned but I would agree that a good Smith j-frame would be a better choice. It would be as easy to carry as the Taurus and as well made as the Ruger.

Thanks for all the input I'll have to do a little more shopping and get back to you abouth the Smiths. Hey PBPengiun are you more worried about the invasion of zombies or the canadians?? They are one giant sleeper cell.

I have owned both Taurus and Ruger revolvers. IMHO there is absolutely no comparison between them on any level other than cost. Taurus revos do tend to cost less. Rugers are far and away the better product. Ruger Sp101 all the way.

I like the Ruger because it is just so dang tough. It's a solid chunk of stainless steel. The only thing I don't like about mine is the factory grips.

The only thing I don't like about mine is the factory grips.
I agree...they suck. Luckily Eagle makes a good wood replacement grip. :)

RugerSP101.jpg

I have owned several of both

And choose the Ruger with confidence. Although you say you are satisfied with your 85 (I assume it is an older model as they actually seemed to be built better a decade ago) Taurus revolvers are junk in my opinion. I never had one that worked right. So, I would warn against the Taurus. If you do decide to get the Taurus, the next best thing to do is to examine all of their stock and pick the best one. You must remember to get the serial number that you picked because quality and problems vary widely from specemen to specimen and the salesman may try to slip one by you, if you don't insist on a specific gun.

Happy hunting

Funon1

Ruger SP101 for me , my wife has a chrome Taurus M85 ala Angie Dickinson style with the pearl grips and gold accents which is pretty sweet just not as burly as the SP101.

I have had some pretty good luck with Taurus revolvers. Never owned a SP101, or even held one.

But my experience with rugers in general and ruger revolvers specifically would have my saying SP101 between the two. Not that I don't think a person couldn't have a good ownership with a Taurus because I and others have.

It's just that those Rugers are so solid and a good value for what you get. Good luck with your choice.

I bought a used SP last year, didn't look like more than a couple hundred rounds got put through it. Tight, good shooter.

The other day I got curious and looked up it's birthdate. Shocked me to find it was one of the first made back in the 90's. I thought for sure it was an almost new one.

I can't make a decision either way about the two choices, but I can vouch my SP has been flawless, especially after I swapped out the mainspring with a 10#.

Having owned one Taurus, an 817UL, I can say that they just aren't for me. The one I had functioned fine, but the overall fit and finish was a little off. I hated the "Ribber" grips too and replaced them with a Hogue. Even with the Hogue though it just wasn't for me so I traded it after only firing about 100 rounds through it.

I just recently bought a used SP101 and it is a very solid revolver. With 125 gr. .357 Mag JSP's it holds 3" groups two handed at 15 yds too.

I'd have to recommend the Ruger over the Taurus personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back