Ruger sp101 three inch. The do it all revolver?

With my birthday approaching at the end of June I've decided to treat myself to a good revolver. With my funds being limited I want to choose a revolver that can cross over for concled carry or a home defense/hiking companion. I was look at a gp100, 686, or a sp101 with a three in barrel. All options in 375 mag. I would hate to buy something that just sat in the safe. I want something I'd actually carry. Thanks for any input given.

I don't think you can do better for an all-round firearm
In fact the 3" SP101 is the one I usually recommend for those who ask similarly
Small/light enough to conceal well, yet beefy enough to not make practice a chore
Good barrel length for carry yet still has enough length for good sighting and use of gas
Its also built like a tank so using 357 isn't going to be an issue and with 38 Special you'll likely never wear it out

Although for typical self defense 38 Special is perfectly suited in the SP, it doesn't break the bank so you can practice much more if on a budget and its actually fun to shoot.
In fact my preferred SP is actually the 3 inch "police" in 38 Special only, gutter sight and lanyard grip, a true "shooters" gun.
If I could only have one firearm and it was that model... I would be happy as a puppy.

I had a GP100 in .357 magnum and I actually carried it. Sometimes even concealed.

IMO, It's just too big and too darn heavy for a 6-shot carry handgun.
I actually carried one as my duty gun in a full duty belt for many years
That really is the only practical way to carry one IMO
CCW with one is frankly just a wee bit absurd
Sure you “can“... but why ;)

The 3” barrel really is the sweet spot for a practical revolver

OP if you were going for a range, bedside, truck gun... then I would suggest the GP
But given your desire for a carry option then the SP is a solid practical choice
:)

I would be looking at the 3" LCRx if you might want to carry it.

I've had two SP101's, and both had poor triggers. The trigger on my 38 special LCR is very nice.

:confused:
Clearly you've never compared them side by side
There is a massive size/bulk difference between the two
As for a "few ounces more"... try almost three-quarters of a pound more
Better sights, better trigger, better grip all mean a better shooting gun and 2 more rounds in the cylinder.

I would take that in a heartbeat over the SP101 and not drink a beer for two weeks to lose half a pound to compensate for the extra heft of the GP.

I would be looking at the 3" LCRx if you might want to carry it.

I've had two SP101's, and both had poor triggers. The trigger on my 38 special LCR is very nice.
I would agree with you, but if it were a .327 3" LCRx. Ruger strangely doesn't want to make that gun (along with the .32 LCP I so nicely asked them for) so... yeah.

I’d love a 3”LCRx in .327 mag, probably the only gun I’d even be interested in buying anymore. Although a 6shot .327 mag version SP101 with a 3” barrel would Trump that.

I was originally interested in the 3" .327 LCRx, but after a while I can't see what it's going to do better as a carry gun than the snub LCR .327 or what it's going to do better than the heavier, recoil reducing, longer barrel 4 inch SP101.

Thus, I don't see the point to it.

This is where I can see the advantage of taking the Aluminum frame LCR and chambering it for .32 H&R Mag. Then you'd have the 3 inch barrel for the LCR, but it would weigh 16oz.

My 3 inch Model 60 .357 gets a lot of holster time. It has proved a great kayak revolver on the rivers and lakes in North Fl, and especially welcome when paddling salt creeks and marshes.

I was originally interested in the 3" .327 LCRx, but after a while I can't see what it's going to do better as a carry gun than the snub LCR .327 or what it's going to do better than the heavier, recoil reducing, longer barrel 4 inch SP101.

Thus, I don't see the point to it.

This is where I can see the advantage of taking the Aluminum frame LCR and chambering it for .32 H&R Mag. Then you'd have the 3 inch barrel for the LCR, but it would weigh 16oz.
Going back to when the LCR first came out, before they even had magnum frames, I wished for a six-shot in .32 H&R Magnum. That would have been a sweet little carry gun.

The LCR 327 is still my most-carried gun, only losing out to higher-capacity semi-autos when cold weather bulks up my wardrobe. It's a dandy little gun and I've gotten fairly proficient with it. I keep it loaded with the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks in .327 Federal.

I'm still hoping that Ruger does a 3" LCRX in .327 Federal. They've had the 3" magnum frame available for a while now. There are definitely times when I'd carry that. The 4" SP101 is nice but honestly, I never carry it. It's svelte for its size but still heavy. Like any 4" steel revolver, the EDC footprint has it competing with polymer-framed semi-autos with twice the capacity. That relegates my 4" SP101 to the range and "BBQ Gun" categories.

Going back to when the LCR first came out, before they even had magnum frames, I wished for a six-shot in .32 H&R Magnum. That would have been a sweet little carry gun.

The LCR 327 is still my most-carried gun, only losing out to higher-capacity semi-autos when cold weather bulks up my wardrobe. It's a dandy little gun and I've gotten fairly proficient with it. I keep it loaded with the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks in .327 Federal.

I'm still hoping that Ruger does a 3" LCRX in .327 Federal. They've had the 3" magnum frame available for a while now. There are definitely times when I'd carry that. The 4" SP101 is nice but honestly, I never carry it. It's svelte for its size but still heavy. Like any 4" steel revolver, the EDC footprint has it competing with polymer-framed semi-autos with twice the capacity. That relegates my 4" SP101 to the range and "BBQ Gun" categories.
I'd never choose to carry the 4" SP as an EDC over a semi auto, but I'd open carry it. The 2" .327 LCR I would EDC over the 3", especially on a hot day.

I wouldn't want to readjust to carrying something like an SP101 after carrying an LCR regularly for several years now.

A 3" S&W aluminum j-frame is another good CC choice. I think there are models with adjustable sights.

I wouldn't want to readjust to carrying something like an SP101 after carrying an LCR regularly for several years now.

A 3" S&W aluminum j-frame is another good CC choice. I think there are models with adjustable sights.

Me either. The SP101 is a pretty gun but the weight and relatively bad stock trigger are a hard step backwards.

I don't know how many people still care about this but the ILS hole on most S&W revolvers still makes me wary for EDC. I know it's extremely rare but it can fail. It is also a visual reminder of government pressure to infringe upon our rights.

That, the excellent stock trigger, the overall ergonomics, and the ability to carry six shots of .327 Federal have all cemented the LCR as my favorite carry revolver. A 3" model would fill one of the few gaps I have left in my carry rotation.

Back