Ruger Security Six - My first revolver

NICE!

One of the few gun regrets I have is selling my 6" Security Six. I have a 2.75" Security Six that's never going to be sold or traded.

My first handgun purchase was in 1972. It was a six inch stainless Ruger security-Six. It has been with me every day since. In the last 45 years I have used it plinking, target shooting, hunter's pistol silhouette, falling plates and hunting. It has never failed to do anything I asked of it. It has outlasted one wife, many girl-friends, quite a few cars, a few back packs, a couple of bows, and one rifle. Even though I have to wear my reading glasses to shoot it at the 25 yard targets it will still shoot 1 inch 5 shot groups. It has never seen a gunsmith and the only modifications were when I made a new set of sight blades for it. (front and rear)
You have a great gun and it will likely outlast you so plan on giving it to someone who will appreciate the gift and pass it on when they can't use it any more.

While the current GP100s are superior in strength, the old Sixes were smooth and lighter in the hand to carry. Fantastic revolvers!

As everybody has said, it's a great gun and you got a very good deal.

My nephew carried one just like yours when he was a deputy sheriff in Kerr County, Texas during the early 1980s - before the department went plastic.

While the current GP100s are superior in strength, the old Sixes were smooth and lighter in the hand to carry. Fantastic revolvers!

I had a GP and got rid of it for a Security Six. Never liked the weight and balance of that GP. Durability maybe, but I will never wear that Six out.

Mine had too heavy a trigger pull, an aftermarket spring set-Trapper ?-cured that. HKS speedloaders marked Model 10 work nicely.

Sixes

Yeah the Sixes were ideal as a carry/belt gun and very tough for their frame size.

I have written before that a "shoot 'till it won't" test conducted at FLETC back in the day, rendered the Ruger Six the clear winner. Seems like the Border Patrol did this......heck that was over 30 yrs ago though.

A good solid gun at a very good price.
Gunsmith? Why? There is little to go wrong, go shooting.
I'd rather have a Security Six than a GP.

My Security Six has been at the gunsmith four times and shot very little. A 25-40 year old gun could be pretty dry and gritty. Part of the concern is what bubba did before I got it. After 60 some guns, many of them Rugers, SA and SA/DA, I have some useful experience and a file on gunsmithing expenses, all justified. The latest visit was restoring spring force to cure light strikes.

New guns are no prize either.

Just sayin'.

I've got a 1982 model same as yours and 4-5 years ago I got it for $350 which at the time was a great price. Going forward to now.............$300 is a steal!
You got a great deal, on a great gun!:D

The good: You got a fantastic revolver at a great price.

The bad: Ruger doesn't service them anymore.

More good: It probably won't ever need to be serviced.

Nice gun. My first Ruger Revolver was a SP101,357. First thing I did was put(stock grips to small) Ruger Houge grips on it & now its the house gun for the wife. I loved it so much I soon after that got the GP100,357 when they came with the rubber grips with the rosewood inside. I love the hell out of that one also. Now I would love to get a Security six in 357 to go with them. That would make a really good set of Ruger Revolver's. I will take a Ruger over a smith any day! Enjoy your new gun.

It is more expensive, but the Match Champion is very similar, fits the same holsters, and weighs only two ounces more. It also has a grip frame design that can better accommodate short grips that are easier to conceal than the Six's square, open-carry frame. The MC double action is way smoother than the Six and doesn't require a stout mainspring for ignition. I have both guns, so these are my assessments of my own guns. YMMV.

What you won't find is a MC with a longer barrel than 4.2.

If the match Champion, or another GP100 variation fantasy with half lug, was a Security Six clone, I'm sure many would buy them. As with many other aspects, not the least of which is an eye for a Ruger, I have grown to ignore or accept the pretentious labeling on the barrel. Sort of like accepting all the warning verbiage on the barrel, if you want to own a Ruger revolver.

I am very partial to how the MC shoots, so I tend not to be critical of how it looks.
WP_20161205_002.jpg

My friend's Security Six.

Back around 1981, my shooting buddy bought one new in stainless steel. I got to shoot it and it seemed OK. I had a used S/W model 28 with a trigger job, and my other buddy had a Dan Wesson with a long barrel, all three guns were chambered in .357 magnum. We went to a farm in the country and spent hours shooting. Was quite an experience to see how all 3 performed.

Had read at that time that stainless steel was a problem, galling in semi-auto pistols and the Security Six's had cracking in the forcing cone, although my friend's pistol had no issues, although he died a year later and the gun was sold in the estate. The prior posts here state that they have shot theirs for many years with no cracking issues.

However, I bought a new GP-100 in 2002 and made sure it was the blued carbon steel model as I was leary of the stainless, but I think they have worked out the issues now. I left the original springs in my Ruger GP-100 with 10 years of shooting mostly .38's and when I finally did spring work on all my Ruger revolvers the GP-100 did not need much work as it was well broken in, as I suspect yours will be too.

It would be interesting to do an online search of the supposed "cracked forcing cones", perhaps this was an old wives tale from the old days?

As others have said, that was a steal! No worries about its age. I wouldn't waste my time or money taking it to a gunsmith unless you think something is wrong with it. It is a modern firearm. It's not like it is something from the 1930s. You'll be fine. Congratulations!

Back