Ruger Security Six - My first revolver

Vulcannut

Hi everyone been lurking for some time and have commented on a coupe of post but this is my first thread so here we go.

My wife and I acquired our gun permits early last year ( I am 44 so I waited long enough) and since have purchase six semi auto polymer pistols. I know plastic guns...but I like them.

Now them I had been eyeing revolvers and been reading on what I would want but what I wanted and the cost well wasn't ready. As with my other guns I wanted a US made by a US owned company. Yep that's me so... I am what I am.

Today while going to the range and looking at the used guns well I caved and purchases a Ruger Secuity Six .357. It has a 6inch barrel and is Stainless. I asked the guys at the store and they said it was the model before the GP100 series. So without knowing anything about it and $300 later it came home. Now while I was looking at it I told my wife that it can't be no older than 15-20 years old. Well I think I was wrong as according to a dating document I found from Ruger it from 1975.

So there it is. I am asking for any information on it. The good and the bad. To me if it is 42 years old it seems to be in great shape and not fired much. I cleaned it and it wasn't that dirty. The trigger is smooth and everything is solid. The single action is really nice and the double action not too bad either. Any info anyone has would be appreciated. I have not fired it yet as I wanted to clean it and go over it before I do.

The pictures show some light surface scratches that you really don't see when looking at it.

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1365_2.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1363_2.jpg

Last edited:
Outstanding find! Based on my Security Six, if you mess with the springs trying to get the action of your dreams, expect light primer strikes (FTF). It's a Ruger.

I think at this age it is time for a gunsmith to take it apart for a clean and lube, maybe polish the action a bit.

Yep the thought of having it checked by a gunsmith has crossed my mind. The dealer I bought it from I trust and they don't sell anything dirty or trashed. They are picky on what they will allow as a trade it. Even though I will probably have it checked out.

I am so amazed how solid this piece feels. I did by it on a whim and for $300 I figured it was a decent deal. No box came with it so anyone know if the box was anything special? Not that I use the factory boxes but in 1975 it may of been something decent.

I bought one for my (now ex-)wife years ago. They are great shooters. I think you did well on the price for an example in such nice condition.

Nice looking gun. For $300 that was quite the deal. Unless there appears to be something wrong with it I wouldn't worry about taking it to a gunsmith. It looks like it has been very well taken care of. Usually range safety officers can answer generic function questions or determine if something is unsafe (assuming you shoot at a range with employees).

I have the newer larger GP100 but would buy a matching security six in a heart beat if I found one at that price in that condition. I believe the typical box would have been cardboard and nothing special. Maybe worth an extra $20 or so.

You bought an excellent gun at a most excellent price. I have two 4" security sixes and would love to have a 6" version. A range report is expected soon.

Thanks everyone. The shop and range are one with really good people working there. One of the range officers actually came out and went over it with me as well as one of the guys behind the counter. All good stuff.

Appreciate the feedback. It will be a couple of weeks before we head back to the range.

For now I can sit and admire it and hopefully learn a thing or to about it.

Excellent choice. I bought a new 6" SS Security Six in about 1980. Untold thousands of rounds later, it's still tight and looks new. The trigger breaks at 3.5 pounds, and it has never been touched. This thing is very accurate.

Best 192 bucks I ever spent.

Factory grips were much too small for me so I changed them. Here's a pic:

Bayou

Nicely done! I had one in blue back in the 80s (was stolen unfortunately).

Personally, I feel these were better looking and better made than the newer ones.

Yes, $300 was a great price. I have a 4" model and it is a pleasure to shoot, I love shooting 38 out of it because it is such a smooth shooter, it just makes me look good lol. I'm not sure about the grips and your grip but Ruger had a target type grip like the S&W coke grips that they clearance out years ago and it may help balance out that longer barrel during longer range sessions. I picked up a pair and really like them. Congrats on a fine addition.

Very nice gun. I wish I could find one like it for $300.00 in my neck of the woods. Everyone I have seen they want a lot more(up to 2X)for them. You bought a Ruger for a Taurus price.

You got a fantastic deal on a great gun. You do not find those at that price.If you post this on the Rugerforum you will have guys drooling and jealous.

I've got a stainless 4" Security six that was made in 1976. Still functions flawlessly at 41 years old. It's my favorite revolver overall and my Son will no doubt inherit it when I'm gone.

Congratulations on finding a great gun for a great price!

Congratulations. For a guy who doesn't know revolvers very well yet, you did a great job finding that Security Six for $300. Its a very nice find and a quality Ruger. No problem with the age other than finding parts. But, they have great durability and chances are you wont be needing any parts for it anyway.

An excellent choice. I bought mine back in 1976, has been more accurate than I am. I recommend Pachmayr grips.

Back