Ruger SBH .44 Magnum

Back in the 70's my buddy had a S&W Model 29 44 mag 6' barrel. I shot it a couple times and decided to get a Ruger Blackhawk .41 magnum 4" barrel ... 90% the power of a 44, faster, flatter shooting, less recoil. Boy, am I glad I did! At 100 yards, compared to my shorter .41, his longer .44 was like lobbing mortar shells ... trajectory like a fast rock. The .41 magnum has been my favorite big-bore cartridge ever since.

noted

No less an authority than Elmer Keith noted that the .41 all up was flatter than his beloved .44, and he said so in print. He overshot long range targets until he figured it out, but I'm not sure which of his books discuss that.

The .41 is different, but the .44 can do all the .41 can and more, in the same size gun........I suspect that is why the .41 has sort of floundered over the years. You can load a .44 down, but you cannot make the .41 more gun than it already is.

Good luck to the OP with his new SBH. I have always wanted one in the 7-1/2" length, with the dragoon square back trigger guard. I can remember when a new one was less than $200!!!!! Dad had a 10-1/4" model, which he scoped and was incredibly accurate....sister has it.

Back