Ruger SA Revolvers

My parents gave me a 3 screw Blackhawk in 1966 for Christmas. I've carried the old Ruger for many miles
and sent thousands of rounds down range in the past
34 years. I've yet to encounter a problem.
This year for my Christmas present, my wife bought a new Super Blackhawk with a 4.625" barrel. I look forward
to packing the new Ruger for the next 34 years.
As I know both revolvers will out last me by many years,
hopefully my grandchildren will enjoy them as much as I have.

dk6: I'm eager to hear how your new SB does at the range! Have you shot it yet? By the way, don't ever let that woman get away, she's special to be willing to give you something so special. :) Dennis

Dennis, no range time yet. My wife is a stickler
for the Christmas tradition. I will be on the range
12/26/00.
Not much chance of me letting her go, she has put up
with me for over 30 years, I'm not sure I could break
in a new one.
I will make a range report after I fire the beast.

i read a story about a guy out west that hunted problem bears for the government and park services in the days before it became politically incorrect. he used dogs. he and his brother would follow the bears with hounds trailing until they wen to ground. his preferred weapon was a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. he used 300 grain bullets he loaded himself. must have been hot loads because when he was questioned as to the load he said he would rather not be quoted on the specs.
long story short, i went out and bought one the next week. after several years of loading and shooting i found my .44 magnum DA's had been pushed to the back of the safe. to this day even when i am hunting with a rifle when i hit the woods my stag gripped .45 Colt is my best hunting buddy.

I'm a semi-auto guy, but picked up my first revolver, a Blackhawk convertible in .45LC/.45ACP a couple of months ago. Range time with this Blackhawk is a HOOT! I HAVE to get a Redhawk so I have a double action now too...Dan in GA

The only gun I have gotten rid of was my Ruger Vaquero 44 Magnum. It had some spring work done and was oh so sweet. The only reason I got rid of it was because I got an offer I couldn't refuse. I traded it, with 5 boxes of ammo, for a Glock 22 with 3 high-cap mags. Man I miss that gun.

Got two, both Bisley's - .45 Colt (7.5" BH) and the other a .22 (6.5"). love em both. I plan on giving them to my nephew someday (he'll have to wait until 2050 or so though !)

Still looking for a Bisley in .32 H&R.

I've finally learned to shoot a handgun with that .22, and am now moving up to full-power loads in .45.

Anyone tried the .45 Buffalo Bore 325 gr stuff in the BH ?

-ric

I've got a 51/2 blued 45 Colt Vaquero that is probably the most accurate centerfire gun I own of any type and shoots exactly to point of aim after filing. I recently picked up a stainless Bisley Vaquero in 44 Mag. Darn, it shoots about an inch to the left...haha. Still one hole group at 25 with 240 cast and 7 Unique. Also have owned other 44s and 41Mag Blackhawks. All excellent.

One, new SS Super Blackhawk

I ordered it with a 4 5/8" barrel (like my .357/9mm Blackhawk). When it gets here I finally feel like I've got a complete set of Ruger SAs in the calibers I like to shoot: .22LR/.22 Magnum, .357 Magnum/9mm snd .44 Magnum. Happiness is enhanced by a a pile of ammo and a bunch of Ruger SA revolvers to shoot (IMHO). :) Dennis

I currently own 12 Ruger Firearms. Among them are a Stainless Single Six, A Blackhawk in .357/9mm, A Blackhawk in .45 Colt/.45 ACP, and a Super Blackhawk. Yeah, I like them a little bit.

Way to go Dennis. Mine is still in the safe wrapped and waiting for Christmas morning. Guess 7 more days will not kill me.
I stumbled up on a cool site you may be interested in;
http://www.reedercustomguns.com
This shop does some nice things to Rugers.
Check out his Montana Hunter Series in the custom revolver
line. I may have him round the grip on mine like the example.
Hope you are enjoying you new toy. dk

ah yes my favorite guns Rugers :)
npw back to the subject i own a 6 1/2in Blackhawk in .357 now all i need is another Blackhawk, a WInchester, and a Shotgun for CAS :D

A 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk is a hoot. Relatively compact, built like a tank, and quite a fistfull with factory grips and stout loads (which it will digest long after you are no longer capable of making it do so). Only "issue" is that the front sight is a little on the low side for the 300 gr hardcast Federal ammo I'm using right now...

Interesting. Other folks on other threads have had the same proble with the 7 1/2" and 5 1/2" SBH but have said the front sights worked okay on the 4 5/8." :) Dennis

dk6: Picked up my 4 5/8" SBH today. Only change was I ended up getting it blued rather than SS. I put a set of Ajax Ivory Polymer grips on it and took it in back to shoot up a box of 240 JHP ammo. Shot great, right on target(when I was). Recoil was very nice - enough to let me know it wasn't a .357 Magnmum, but not enough to be bothersome (at least not with my favorite grips on it). Only problem was the 100 lb. factory trigger. Left it for an action job. Hopefully when I pick it up on Tuesday or Wednesday it will be perfect. Dennis

Dennis, I'm glad you got it. I should shoot mine Tuesday.
Do the Ajax polymer grips yellow with handling like real
ivory? I like the look of ivory but dont want to take out
a second loan on the house to buy a set.
I'll let you know about my range trip next week.
Merry Christmas to all....

dk6: How did yours shoot? I don't know about yellowing. I believe the Ultra Ivory grips from Eagle Grips (if that's the grip firm run by the fellow from India) age just like ivory but they're also fairly expensive. I've got Ajax Ivory Polymers on all 3 of my Ruger SAs and like the way they feel, and how the absorb (for me) much of the recoil energy. Let me know how you like yours at the range. Does yours need a trigger job? I find I shoot the Ruger SAs best with a 2.5 to 3 pound pull. Merry Christmas! :) Dennis

Back