Ruger reintroduces the 3" SP101 327 Federal

The 85 grain HydraShok is still a little rocket, but the recoil is tamed considerably from the Federal 100 SJSP burners. Federal developed the cartridge, so I think they wanted to provide ammo to represent both ends of its range.

Let's not get all testy, Nancy. I stated my opinion about where it fits into my choices of calibers. You are free to buy it. Trust me, you really are.

Still wish they offered it with the rear adjustable and the black grips.

Face it, the .327 is a reloadsman's cartridge. The ability to adjust for different POIs with differing loads is very useful for the true fans of the .327 Fed Mag, the reloaders.

"...they aren't really all that fast, often coming in at 11-1200 fps...".
Factory Federal 100gr JSP averages 1600fps from my 4 5/8" Single Seven.
1550fps from the 7 1/2" Single Seven (b/c gap, I believe). 2241fps from the 20" Marlin 1894CB.
A powerful, compact, seven shot six shooter in .327 federal on a .22 frame. You can do just about anything one would reasonably expect with very near .357 oomph on a small frame. I love it.
Still working on those 133gr. Keith SWC loads. Maybe a close range cow elk in store next year. I have thousands of .32 71 grain cast boolits, gang molds in 95 gr RN, 120gr SWC, and the aforementioned 133 gr. I very, very rarely shoot anything else the last few years, and I hand load for 28, I think, cartridges. With handloads, it is my .22. To me, the .327 is perfect. Very, very versatile, just as useful as any .357, and all on a smaller frame. The S7s are actually lighter than the S6 due to the bigger holes, and more of them. My EDC is a Single Seven.

DM357 said:
What I mean is that Ruger revolvers in the last couple of years have a habit of going into boxes with lots of burrs, cosmetic issues such as tool marks where sights were installed, surface cracks, throat measurements, etc. Basically a lot of simple things that can happen with mass production.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but over the last 1.5 - 2 years I've purchased a Ruger LCR .357, a GP100 .357 and an SP101 .22lr and haven't seen a single one of the issues you mention.

So, is this something you've experienced first hand? Or just what you've read on the Interwebs, and now pass along as fact?

2. Less recoil. I don't know if this is true or not, I haven't shot a .327 yet, but I have hot loaded some .32 H&R and they feel like a .38, so the .327 probably must feel like a .38 +P, but with the power of a moderate .357 load.

Yes, this is generally true. I know I've discussed this elsewhere on the forum but I've done back-to-back shooting across calibers with different models of LCR. Between a few friends, nobody could differentiate the felt recoil between mid-weight .38 +p in the LCR 38 and 85-grain Hydra-Shoks in the LCR 327.

Yes, it was louder. The crack of .327 rolled across the hills and echoed unlike any of the .38 special. However, there is just as dramatic a difference between .38 and .357 magnum. Comparing apples to apples, the heavier loads in .327 Federal (such as the surprisingly hot 100-grain American Eagles) start to approach the lighter .357 magnum loads in terms of felt recoil on the LCR platform.

In general, .327 Federal gives you higher capacity and lower recoil than the .357 magnum while still providing significantly more power than .38 special.

In general, .327 Federal gives you higher capacity and lower recoil than the .357 magnum while still providing significantly more power than .38 special.

And that, my dear sirs, is why I bought the reintroduced SP101 in .327. It might fit my needs, it might not - but that's my choice whether others dismiss it or not. :)
However, I shall invest in a few boxes of the 85 grain to supplement the four of 100gr bought for my Happy 73rd Birthday yesterday..... ($5 cash rebate per box too)

0_F839_B33_9641_4_F1_F_AAB9_5_AE5_B20_FC8_C4.jpg

Ruger QC problems? I've read of such frequently on the various gun forums, but have not encountered it in the past two years with the 4 new handguns I purchased - New Vaquero 5.5" stainless .357, Super Blackhawk 5.5" stainless, New Vaquero 4.62" stainless .357, LCP (Gen 2). All are flawless in fit & finish and function better than I do. I expect the same with the new SP.

and for your viewing pleasure - the last NV:

38415848da15bb06aab0a5ca8c3deb03b33bd8b.JPG

Last edited:
Back