Ruger reintroduces the 3" SP101 327 Federal

Great. Just what I need, another .327. I haven't even got my hands on the Birdshead Single Seven yet, and they spring this on me. At this rate, all I'm going to have are .327s as I sell other stuff to get more .327s. It ain't fayer, it jist ain't fayer.

I'm glad to see a 3 inch .327 is being offered. I really think that's the perfect barrel length for the .327 cartridge.

But, and this is just me, I'd really like to see in on the LCRx so I can compare it to the 4 inch SP. Yeah, I like adj sights.

I've got mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I like that Ruger generally listens to their customers and puts out requests like this. On the other hand, I wish they would focus more on QC with their existing lineups for a while. I don't see a lot of point in a 10mm revolver, and if .327 is coming back, I wish ammo choices for it were more varied and available without being a reloader.

I'd much rather have a 3" 357 or even a 38.

If Ruger brings out the 327 in a 5" or 6" with a slender barrel and adjustable sights I'll buy the 1st one I get my hand on. I have small guns for concealment, but a 5" field revlover for small game and back-packing would be the cats meow

If Ruger brings out the 327 in a 5" or 6" with a slender barrel and adjustable sights I'll buy the 1st one I get my hand on. I have small guns for concealment, but a 5" field revlover for small game and back-packing would be the cats meow

Ruger makes exactly that. Its called the Single Seven

Yesssssssss!

Missed the first offering. Gonna have to put my money where my mouth is and pony up for this one.

I'd much rather have a 3" 357 or even a 38.

It'd be cool if Ruger made a DA .327 with a 5 or 6 inch barrel, but I don't see Ruger ever doing that. SP101 has never had a barrel longer than 4 inches on it and Ruger gave up long ago with the .327 in the GP100.

BUT, with the 7 shot .357 Mag GP100 now existing, if Ruger made an 8 shot .327 in the GP100... dude, that would be a big selling point. The nice trigger of the GP100 over the SP101, the larger grip, and the recoil dampening would make that a dream to shoot.

The .32 calibers, .327 Federal magnum, 32 H&R magnum, and .32 S&W Long, make the .327 revolver versatile. One can pick and choose the ammo and caliber to get the job done. These are user friendly cartridges.

Some of the above listed rounds can introduce new shooters to shooting without a lot of recoil and noise.

I've got an earlier SP-101. It's a fine gun and ammo combo for most of my needs.

This is good news for those of us who missed it the first time around. The 4" model is a lot of fun and it's become a local favorite for blowing up bottles and cans. However, it rarely gets carried. (Once I'm going to the trouble of carrying a 4" steel revolver, it's hard to justify not carrying a high-capacity polymer semi.) I was actually waiting to see if they'd release a magnum-frame 3" LCRx but this 3" SP101 may find a place over here.

I'm very happy to see Ruger continuing to support this great little round. Unfortunately, I will have to agree with DM357. Some things were a little off with my 4" SP101. A trip to the gunsmith helped but it's still both sloppier and chintzier than my old SP101. That's not the only strike, either. The SP101 has never been known for having a great trigger. Given that their LCR has such a wonderful trigger right out of the box, it's kind of a kick in the pants. Having already gone to the trouble of re-engineering for MIM parts and such, at least they could have put a little energy into updating that trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
I see the adjustable rear sight is gone.

Ruger never misses an opportunity to cheapen their guns anymore.
The 3 inch .357 SP101 has the same fixed rear sight. For ease of manufacturability, why change things?

Because some folks want the ability to adjust the sight so POA =POI for their reloaded ammo, and for different power levels of factory ammo. The adjustable sight is not a huge manufacturing change. The SP101 match champion is already being made with the adjustable sight in .357 magnum.

Because some folks want the ability to adjust the sight so POA =POI for their reloaded ammo, and for different power levels of factory ammo. The adjustable sight is not a huge manufacturing change. The SP101 match champion is already being made with the adjustable sight in .357 magnum.
And some of us prefer the fixed rear sights, as we don't intend to use these revolvers for anything else but close SD and/or plinking.

So why not offer both in 3"?

I suppose the reason is that Ruger doesn't feel that the SP101 is meant for anything other than an up close to short distance defensive revolver in 3 inch barrels or less, which is a reasonable feeling. These little guns are made for the masses, and the vast majority of the customer base is never going to touch a reloading bench or sight in different loads. They'll buy whatever they hear is best and what they can find at their local Walmart or Cabelas, and call it a day.

There's always the 4.2 inch SP101, if you can manage to get a hold of one. I personally like adjustable sights myself, but I admit having the stock rear sights of the SP101/GP100 on my carry gun gives me pause. I've found that they are pretty fragile and break with not much effort. I really don't want that for a gun that I'm going to carry on me all day every day. Of course you can always change them, especially on the GP, to sturdier alternatives.

If the 4" SP101 is any indication, adding adjustable sights would include a very high front sight to get it regulated to the elevation adjustment platform in the rear. My older SP101 3" in 327 includes as standard a windage-only adjustable rear sight that serves well enough. It is enabled with just a slot cut in the top strap.

Be careful with these 327 Rugers, because some like the Single Seven are Lipsey's exclusives, with Ruger not fully committed to supporting them, especially once production of Lipsey's orders stops, and cylinders are gone. Any problem is instantly a trade in for more money. The 4" SP101 is at least in their standard line. Don't know about this new offering.

Yeah, I'd always be wary of things like that. It's pretty much a guarantee anyway that if sales aren't there, the line will go away and they may only support it for a short time, Lipsey or not.

If the 4" SP101 is any indication, adding adjustable sights would include a very high front sight to get it regulated to the elevation adjustment platform in the rear. My older SP101 3" in 327 includes as standard a windage-only adjustable rear sight that serves well enough. It is enabled with just a slot cut in the top strap.

Be careful with these 327 Rugers, because some like the Single Seven are Lipsey's exclusives, with Ruger not fully committed to supporting them, especially once production of Lipsey's orders stops, and cylinders are gone. Any problem is instantly a trade in for more money. The 4" SP101 is at least in their standard line. Don't know about this new offering.
It's standard.

Back