Ruger Red label reborn!

Quote:
I can flip the gun open with one hand while getting fresh shells with the other.
Most of the shooters I know would consider that gun abuse.

Maybe it is and maybe its not, but its my gun and it works for me. When I feel like it I have been known to go over speed bumps faster than some other drivers as well.

That IS abuse and also a sign of poor manufacturing - if the gun is THAT loose, you have issues

Not really, I have been able to do it with other O/U’s as well, including a Baikal. Its just easier with the Red Label.

well for one your hammers are getting a good jolt by flicking it open and slamming it shut along with other enternal parts. but you are right its yours. if you need quick follow up shots maybe a semi-auto would be better. eastbank.

We've known Ruger's been working on a new shotgun for a while, but I'm disappointed that it turned out to be a new Red Label.

I was hoping it was going to be a solid and affordable semiautomatic.

Sorry to say, if price is your concern, you need to look elsewhere; they weren't that expensive about 15-20 years ago
Says one that recommends a three thousand dollar used gun.:rolleyes:

Ruger is known for putting out a quality product at a bargain price. Not so with the Red Label.

I must have been lucky. I have one in 12 ga and one in 28 ga. Never had a problem. Shot hundreds of rounds for doves..never missed a lick. Oh well.

Says one that recommends a three thousand dollar used gun

What 3K USED gun? 3K new? That is what Browning and Berettas cost. Buy once, cry once. Buy a cheap POS from Turkey or Russia and replace it a lot and you have spent the same AND had to handle a lousy gun with poor features - seems a no-brainer to those of us who shoot a lot

:rolleyes: backatcha

I must have been lucky. I have one in 12 ga and one in 28 ga. Never had a problem. Shot hundreds of rounds for doves..never missed a lick. Oh well.

Hundreds? Really? I shot 200 today 6 weeks after hand/wrist surgery. My main O/U has almost 300,000 rounds through it. When your Ruger comes close, please let me know - that Browning has had $100 in parts replaced and that was at 90,000 rounds

I and several people I know own at least one red label, Mine is a 1995 model and has had thousands of rounds fired through it. It was fired quite a lot for trap and skeet, along with acquiring a few minor scratches and such in the field.

I find it interesting that the Red Label was introduced in 1979 (12 gauge) and was produced until when, 20XX? This is not the typical production run of a POS shotgun as some would have you believe.

To be honest, the only complaint I ever heard first hand from a Red Label owner was that it was a little heavy, and maybe they didn't think the wood was "fancy" enough.

It was not only heavy, it was VERY muzzle heavy, even with the short barrels. It opened TOO easily, indicating a loose and sloppy fit. When opened, there was side-to-side play with the barrels and action, not a good thing
Again, the concept was good, the execution of the concept sucked - glad yours worked out for you, but for many of us, it was a big let down - especially among us 28 gauge owners which was the model they supposedly got "right" (but didn't)

Time will tell this time around whether they corrected things

And sorry to tell you, but 20 years does not make a good production run - 100 does as a start

Well, I bought them as field guns...which is what they were designed for. As far as the looseness, there designed that way. Looser as the barrel falls to eject and tighter as you raise them up to lock. The receivers are tapered for this. That way you don't need two hands and three buddies to open and close them.
I also know people that shoot a lot of skeet with theres with no issues. Mine do what I bought them to do. To each his own.

BigD in FL said:
What 3K USED gun? 3K new? That is what Browning and Berettas cost. Buy once, cry once. Buy a cheap POS from Turkey or Russia and replace it a lot and you have spent the same AND had to handle a lousy gun with poor features - seems a no-brainer to those of us who shoot a lot

tired.gif

No, NOT 3K new, by your own word.:rolleyes:

In post #13, you said: (direct quote)
BigD in FL said:
You might want to look at a RBL from CSMC - well made, no major issues and minor ones immediately corrected, handles well and was nicely done. Used they run about 3K, including a nice case
While you're thinking about how you can next brag about all your multi-thousand dollar guns and the hundreds of thousands of rounds you put through them, stop and think that maybe, just maybe, not everyone is as wealthy as you, (Or pretends to be) and try to remember what you posted before. I've never spent over 1200 dollars on ANY gun, and I've done quite well for myself. I don't intend to ever spend more than that.

I've had my straight stocked 20 since 1992. Beautiful wood (except for my scratches) and has served me well. I'm sure the new ones will be typical of Ruger. Good value. Not the best shotgun but a very good one for the price.

Sorry Stevie ray - THAT recommendation was towards the person who wanted a US-made gun and said there weren't any. As to being wealthy - not hardly - shooting is my hobby, I do not fish, own a boat, RV or camper, nor do I drive a pickup that gets 5 miles to the gallon - I shoot targets, and a lot of them and I do without in other areas to pay for it - so get over your wealth envy in that regard.

The Ruger I owned was a POS, and it was the one they supposedly got right. I will take a well-made Japanese Browning over a poorly made US gun every time. I can get a nicely-made Beretta for what the Ruger will sell for - to me, that is a no-brainer - either of the Browning or Berettas are time-proven to be well-made - the Ruger sucks and was pulled from the market because it sucked

Back