Ruger re-introduces the Marlin lever actions...

Yes, I am interested in a lever action 30-30. I would like a Winchester, Henry or now a Marlin/Ruger if it's not a million bucks.

That article is from February so I'm guessing out of date, last I heard was 2025 but think that was just on the forum here.

Will Ruger use investment castings or forgings for the receivers?
I bet I know the answer to that one;)
I'll stick with the real McCoy's.

There are things that I like, and things that I dislike about the rifles Ruger has shipped.
But I don't want to judge it based on photos. I need to get one in my hands first.

Either way, it is good to see the name in the wild again.

I bought a 336 30-30 right about the time Marlin went belly up--and it actually works well--I wonder if it's worth money since it actually shoots OK?

If JM stamped, with a serial number on the tang, it should always be worth more than RP stamped and the ugly serial number on the side of the receiver (particularly the MR and barcode serials).

Th retail price is stated as being $1399 so its not cheap. But looking around on GB no 45-70 is cheap and that includes the Henry.

Have a old JM model 36. That's the one glorious thing in owning a used JM model. It comes to its replacement owner >already broke in.
Paying upwards of a 1000 dollars for a new Marlin? That is some serious green backs.

I certainly wouldn't buy one within the first year or two of release, I don't trust any gun maker with a brand new product they've never made before and for the price of nearly a grand... nope.

I'm not really interested in lever actions in .45-70 anyway, I don't use a .45-70 assuming I will need 3 or more shots or a fast reload.

What will interest me is lever actions in revolver calibers and I expect those are coming and I'm a bit surprised they weren't first given how few casual gun owners care to spend the money on factory .45-70 ammo. Actually, now that I think about it, only hardcore gun enthusiasts and hunters are interested in this and they make for better beta testers than Joe Schmoe or Tom, Dick, and Harry.

At the very least what "Marluger" is doing is adding rifles to the market and increasing competition. From that if quality improves and prices go down it's a win for all of us.

Lots of great post in this thread. I’ve never owned a Marlin but I certainly know their reputation as a great lever action before being taken over by Remington. I own three lever actions and acquired my first one nearly 33 years ago new. Therefore, I feel like I can add something to this thread.

No question it’s an uphill battle for Ruger launching this new Marlin especially after the failed attempt and poor quality control by Remington ownership. Most fair minded people will wait to see many of the trust worthy reviews come in with regards to craftsmanship and reliability before purchasing. With that said, I do believe Ruger will eventually succeed with a quality product and that’s a good thing. Competition is what keeps everybody else honest.

Sadly, Winchester with it’s strong American roots are no longer produced in the United States. Therefore I don’t even consider buying one of their firearms. I will gladly pay an honest hard-working dollar for an American made top quality Henry rifle.

Last edited:
Sadly, Winchester with it’s strong American roots are no longer produced in the United States. Therefore I don’t even consider buying one of their firearms. I will gladly pay an honest hard-working dollar for an American made top quality Henry rifle.
I already have a Henry big boy in 45-70, but if I didn't I would buy the ruglin without hesitation.

I already have a Henry big boy in 45-70, but if I didn't I would buy the ruglin without hesitation.

That’s a leap of faith. When Henry introduced the side gate 3030 (H024), I decided I wanted one but not until all the reviews poured in showing reliability.

Mossberg for whatever reason, couldn’t seem to get it right with its 464 lever action… Notorious for feeding issues. Remington for whatever reason just went downhill right into the grave. Keep in mind, the lever action is Henry’s main platform… Not something that secondary or subsidiary. The lever action for Remington and Mossberg was just that.. Secondary’ and it will be for Ruger as well. Winchester more or less is the same… Moving its production out of the United States shows that I could care less about American heritage and tradition.

Hopefully Ruger will not make Marlin something that is secondary.

eb431b49-3d3d-49d7-ac18-391eb9a019cf.jpeg

How close is the Henry action to a 336? Just looking at the guns from the outside they look very similar, if both have loading gates.

I would have thought the first would have been one in 38/357 - as popular as they are and priced accordingly, I would bet they would sell out quickly.

Back