Ruger QC or lack thereof

TxFlyFish

So let’s be honest here how is the fit and finish on your new ruger revolver? I purchased a super blackhawk hunter and had to send the first one back due to:

1) inconsistent and overzealous polishing
2) trigger guard grind marks leaving visible ridges
3) barrel offset to frame
4) poor grip panel fit
5) poor grip to frame fit

The second one that came in had:

1) canted barrel
2) forcing cone not square to cylinder, cylinder contact
3) barrel not fully cut leaving a little “nub” at the edge
4) crooked hammer (looks hand ground??)
5) poor fit on ejection rod housing
6) poor grip to frame fit

Does ruger have precision fitting capability, many of the parts seem like ground and polished by hand, hastily and in many cases not straight at all!

Great Customer Service...

(for returns) is more valuable these days than Quality Assurance of products going out the door. Sampling is the current QC method of choice (among most all large manufacturers), NOT 100% inspection.

I've seen some Rugers with a few of the finish issues listed. I think Ruger believes most of those things are acceptable at their product's price point. Not most of those issues on a single gun, but perhaps one or so on a particular gun. If you are unwilling to accept any of those fit/finish issues, you need to carefully inspect the gun before purchase.

As suggested, Ruger will likely correct those issues if the gun is returned to them for service. It's a hassle, but perhaps part of the process given their business model. If you want a flawless gun you are probably going to need to double or triple the price point of a Ruger.

People gripe about how Sig is using their customers to beta test p365. Imho the best customer service is the one you don’t have to use at all.

I have two Super Blackhawks that I am pleased with. Sorry about the issues with yours TxFlyFish, I always have to wonder how firearms with as many issues as yours leave the factory. I also wonder if the QC people are ever held accountable for letting blatant issues pass inspection, hell, sometimes I wonder if their actually even is an inspection lol.

To add to the injury ...I just noticed the hammer is striking the left edge of the frame above the firing pin and took out a wedge, sigh ruger

I've seen some Rugers with a few of the finish issues listed. I think Ruger believes most of those things are acceptable at their product's price point.

IMHO, Used to be folks accepted those flaws at Ruger's price point too. Thing is, MSRP on new Ruger revolvers is similar to new S&Ws. Folks have been whining about S&Ws decline in quality for years. Now, since Ruger is charging as much as S&W, it is being held to the same standards. Things is, I believe that stainless and the new powder coat finishes have given firearm makers a pass when it comes to finish. Hard to see minor imperfections in a brushed or matte finish as opposed to deep blue. Folks are more willing to look at those firearms as tools, as opposed to a work of art, especially when cosmetic issues do not impact the overall performance/accuracy of the firearm.

I agree, one needs to inspect a firearm much more closely now than in the past before taking it home, even with excellent customer service.

My new stainless bearcat had

a few tooling chatter marks on the spent shell rod housing and someplace else (underside of frame). A little 320 grit sandpaper and scotchbrite and it looks perfect. 10 minutes.

A few of the cylinders were a little tight (2 of em). I buffed em out to the same as the other using a spent shell casing and Flitz. Took 2 minutes.

The rosewood grip frames, although pretty, are uniformly undersized and the grip frame peeks through uniformly all around. Bah! I made new Black Micarta grip frames. This took about 4 days but I like making custom grips.

After shooting a few weeks at paper, I concluded every ammo in the world shot on average 2” to the left at 15 yards. It’s a fixed sight bearcat. Maybe I am being too fussy? Ruger customer service said “box it up, the ups guy will pick it up tomorrow.” I sent the gun and test target. 2 weeks or so later I got it back with a little note that says “Sights within spec. Moved front sight per request” and a test target. Off to the range and indeed it’s dead on now.

I figured I owed Ruger something for their excellent service so when I saw Dicks had 10/22s on sale for $199.98 I bought one. Fit and finish and operation have been astounding except when mounting the Ruger (Weaver) scope rail I found about a .003” casting flaw right near the underside of the rearmost mounting hole that might have made a less than perfect flush mount to the receiver. Honing the part to its place and the receiver to the rail took 15 minutes with 400 grit sandpaper and flitz. Rail is loc-tite blued and screwed to the receiver. The barrel channel was touching the barrel, as was the barrel band. Sandpaper, dowel and Dremel tool... group size dropped from 1.5” to 1” at 25 yards out of the box, no other mods at all.

That Bearcat is the 7th Ruger Single Action I’ve owned. A few Blackhawks had Aluminum grip frames have misfits up to .002” and the paint didnt match the bluing. And they were 4 ounces of weight saved. Triggers can always be improved easily by home gunsmithing (or shooting a sew thousand rounds). I have always looked at Rugers as “best tools for the money and more than good enough, and these will still be goin ‘boom’” in 100 years.

Fixed sights being off by 2” is the only operational flaw I’ve ever had.

I had a Freedom Arms model 83 Premier grade. It was in every way perfect, like gun jewelry that was scary accurate and 100.00000% reliable. When I bought it, it cost as much as 3 Blackhawks. I looked yesterday and they are still the same price- triple a Blackhawk.. I sold mine as for deer hunting and plinking and target shooting my stainless .45 Blackhawk vaquero shot 99 % as acurrate, same reliability and was 90% as much “elitist” factor but I never worried about getting it muddy, wet, holster worn or scratched up.

My perfect pistol now is a Bowen reworked Blackhawk. It matches the Freedom Arms gun, trigger is better and might have more snooty points.

Bottom line: HOW DID THEY SHOOT?

I bet they went “boom”, functioned reliably, and were decently accurate. If you want S&W fit and finish, you have to pay s&w prices. Many of the issues listed can be polished out at home or simply ignored by dropping it in a holster and shooting for a few years. My only S&W experience was a beautiful airweight kit gun that had the barrel so crooked the sights didn’t have enough travel to even get poi on the paper. How did it leave the factory that way? It shot like a .410 from a sandbag an S&W denied it had accuracy issues. I was terribly disappointed and although I would like an old model 10, I won’t buy anything new from them. Sort of like eating a bad clam. I paid top dollar and this gun couldn’t hold a candle to a little Rossi other than it weighed a lot less.

Sometimes a fella can save six hundred bucks or more with some sand paper, scotch brite, a diamond hone, some files from Harbor Freight, and a couple of Wolf springs.

I’m a Ruger fan. They send me the base gun and how much you want to do for cosmetics is up to me.

Last edited:
So let’s be honest here how is the fit and finish on your new ruger revolver?

How about my 357 Ruger Blackhawk stainless from 1976? Bought used in remarkably great condition. During the first range visit the gun would not go bang half the time.

Back home I discover when the hammer is fully resting on the transfer bar the firing pin protrusion is far less than my other 357 revolvers. The hammer did not contact evenly on the frame above the transfer bar. I put the gun in safe for long while and shot other guns that worked.

Finally resolved that issue by smoothing out the casting imperfections at the frame contact area of the hammer.

Then after firing a few full cylinders I notice the spent casing take extreme effort to eject on 5 of the 6 chambers. One was so difficult I waited to get home and removed the cylinder and punched it out. So looks like I have another "fix it" project.

I did own a late 1980s version of the same gun that worked - I really wish I had that one back.

Lack of quality control is wide spread, I've had examples from Ruger, S&W, Kimber, Browning, DW as well as Citadel and Taurus. I'm rather surprised when I get one that has nothing wrong with it. The CD is only cosmetic and it shoot so well I didn't complain. Some I repaired my self, one was replaced with a gun I had to return on warranty, others returned and repaired. Sad, considering this day of modern machines and materials. The older S&W revolvers are much better made than the new ones.

I can understand wanting new things that are purchased to be in tip top shape. I lean more towards buying "new" when purchasing, even if I could save myself 10-20 % by buying "used". I tend not to want to inherit someone elses problem. I cant tell you how many threads I have read that depict an owner having a problem with a firearm or optic, getting it straightened out ( either professionally, by the manufacturer, or an uncle jim...) and then peddled it right away to move on to something else.
With that said, I really have no expectation in todays modern manufacturing era that any product I buy will be perfect. If buying a collectible, then yes, look for absolute perfection, bring it home and hang it on the wall. If buying to use it, put the magnifying glass away along with the white gloves.
Its like complaining to the truck salesman that there is a tiny chip in the lower panel of the new truck your picking up. Go through all the bull-CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- to make it perfect before you leave the lot, and 5 miles down the road a piece of pea gravel does more damage than you just had taken care of.
Most firearms will retain a certain amount of value. No more than if you absolutely baby the thing. So if you bought it to shoot, go shoot it, if you bought it to stare at, then critique it better before signing your name on the sales slip and leaving with it.
Just my opinion.
C.

I agree with better inspection when buying a weapon. I also believe it is buyer beware when it come to buying or trading a used firearm. I have ended up with a couple of lemons, one fixed by the manufacturer and one buy a gunsmith. Maybe I don't look at my guns close enough but I have never seen one of my guns with the number of problems listed in the original post. I hope the OP gets it straighten out.

A few Blackhawks had Aluminum grip frames have misfits up to .002” and the paint didnt match the bluing.

Every Ruger I have with an aluminum frame does not fit as well as I would like. They are a little tall on the ears were it meets the steel frame and everyone of them is a little proud on the left side of the gun. I guess thats just the way ruger cast them and they have done this for years. I pointed it out to my bud on his 32 mag single six and he was sorta mad at for doing so, he said he would have never noticed it. I guess thats what Ruger is counting on.

The one exception is the made in 1961 single six my grandad bought new back then. The grip frame is a perfect fit to the main frame. Moral of the story, buy older guns. They did them right.;)

Targa said:
I have two Super Blackhawks that I am pleased with. Sorry about the issues with yours TxFlyFish, I always have to wonder how firearms with as many issues as yours leave the factory. I also wonder if the QC people are ever held accountable for letting blatant issues pass inspection, hell, sometimes I wonder if their actually even is an inspection lol.
I worked with a guy at a job a few years ago who had been a production employee for Ruger for two years on 2nd shift and this was post Sandy Hook. Back then demand was off the charts. His supervisor would tell the shift what amount they needed to ship tomorrow and let everything go through, whether it was in spec or not.

So, at that time was their any inspection at all? IDK, but I can tell you it's not inspection who's making the call as to what ships and what doesn't. They'll tell their management what the situation is and managers will decide what goes out the doors and what doesn't.

I can't say this with any certainty, but being in manufacturing I can tell you that there is no 100% inspection when it comes to mass production. When a tolerance is very tight, it's up to the operator to do 100% inspection, not inspection/QC. Do all operators do that? I can tell you there are times where I've skipped mandatory inspections because I have other work to do to keep production numbers up, but I know that if the last 10 pcs haven't had an issue, then the machine is good and I can skip an inspection on a piece or two as needed.

That's in small companies where people don't care about numbers, but go to Ruger where they probably have supervisors whose job is only to question employees about their production rate.

Personally I have two Ruger revolvers, an SP101 and a Redhawk. Both have burrs inside the ejector rod housing and inside the frame where the crane goes. Looking at my SP101 a bit closer, there's spots that are unpolished and it looks like the barrel shroud is a bit cocked.

Have I bought my last Ruger revolver? No, a 9mm LCR will be bought someday and I'm sure I'll grab a used GP100 in the future, but I'm not gung ho anymore about buying Ruger revolvers like I was years ago. If I want to roll the dice on a .22, I'd rather buy a Heritage with the dorky safety cuz at least then I know whatever I get was worth what I paid for.

I’ve owned 4 Ruger double action revolvers, one Ruger single action revolver, and a 10/22 carbine. All purchased new, except for the carbine, between 2005-2014. Only one had any issues (2007 SP101) and those were cosmetic. The others were perfectly fine, including cosmetics. I believe it can happen, but my experience with Ruger has been good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My experience with Ruger's revolver frames is that they have always been warped in some manner .

I recently bought their .357 Match Champion and It's the first Ruger revolver that I have owned with a nice flat frame like a S&W. The only problems I have with it are the god awful Hogue grips and the brushed finish. Please Ruger, I can do a brushed finish better than you can. At least my brush marks all go in the same direction. Much cheaper Taurus revolvers from BRAZIL (!) are looking pretty darn good.

Last edited:
I went out again to look for a good example of revolver, really anything as I need a small carry piece as well. I went thru prob 15 examples of various Rugers, S&W, Kimber, Colt. I’ve come to the conclusion that I will no longer buy or commit to ordering any revolver sight unseen. I was serious about finding a good example and out of the 15 or so, I would not been confident to take any of them home.

Some of the most glaring issues were crooked rear sight channels, canted barrels, crooked hammer, rough crowns, excessive cylinder play, and inconsistent polishing from gun to gun. That last part was just baffling to me. The workers just polish whatever they feel like polishing. The crane to frame were sometimes blended sometimes not. The loading gate edge was sometimes polished sometimes not, and sometimes just a short section, and sometimes two short sections and nothing in between. It drives me nuts!!

Oh and don’t get me started on the trigger guard grind marks. There’s no two Blackhawks that look alike

Last edited:
What do we expect from a “cheap” gun?

I had a theory, so I browsed the interwebs and found an article in Marketwatch by John Ittner about inflation. He says

In 1873 a Colt SAA cost $17.50 or about a $20 Double Eagle which was .967 oz of gold.
In 2009, you could order a Colt SAA from the custom shop for about $1500 and an ounce of gold was $1090.

While comparing inflation in America over the past 100 or more years, the author is following a traders axiom that “a damn good handgun is worth more than an ounce of gold.”

Right now, the price of gold is $1315.
I looked on Gunbroker and found several Freedom Arms field model 83s for $1800.
If I were to sell my Bowen Blackhawk, I reckon I would ask $1450.

Anything from FA is perfect. It just is, that’s my experience at least.
Anything from Bowen has been made perfect, at least mine is.

My point is that if we want the quality that the old guns had we should be prepared to pay the price the old guns cost. In fact, we are getting much more for our money.

Comparing to those old SAA’s we get much more power and reliability commonly for less than half price.

The “golden age” for factory revolvers might be argued to be the late 1950’s in the model 19 era. I see super clean early model 19s selling for about $1200.

Maybe the golden age is around the Model 29 early days. Those go for around $2,000 now and adjusted for inflation, that’s a little bit more than what they cost new as it seems “damned good guns are worth more than an ounce of gold.”

My point: if I spent $1700 on a handgun and it was not flawless, I would feel wronged.

If I spend a third of that and they run perfectly... I can polish the stainless with 400 grit and scotch brite and spend a few evenings in the shop making custom grips to fit my unique ruger grip frame because you are sure right: it seems like Ruger gave up on decent wood grips that fit pretty. Seems like they just make em all too small now, just so none poke over the frame.

(Hey cowboys, if you are getting custom grips and the maker doesn’t have your grip frame... it’s just some guy with a belt sander)

Back