Ruger Police Service Six

I wouldnt worry too much about Ruger not stocking parts because chances are, you won't need any. Plus there are plenty available for now from 3rd party sources. Im a Smith & Wesson guy but rhe Ruger Six series are fantastic and offer amazing value compared fo a Sith K frame..

Rugged, handsome and reliable...just like me :D

Bought my SS new in 1975 - still going strong:

Guns082.jpg

Thanks - some of the guys on the Ruger forum refer to that as "plum" color.

It has to do with the early factory blue process not taking well with the steel used? Or something like that.

I plumb don't care - the gun is as tight as new and shoots just fine. The Sixes were a great series.

I was hoping to find one at the gun show last weekend... no joy.

Found a fairly nice, not great, Smith model 13 for a measly $525....

I put it down gently and walked away....

Saw lots of Smith model 10's for $400-500....

A 3" Six, or Model 64/65 is on my short list.

Buy a second parts donor gun, maybe beat and cheap but mechanically adequate. I needed a 4" replacement barrel for Service Six 4" stamped 38 Special and never did find one. The gun was traded in and retired to get a Match Champion direct from Ruger at their gun replacement price. The second attempt at buying a nice Service Six 38 turned out better.

Ruger discontinued the S.S. series when they brought out the GP series.
One of their more bone-headed moves.

The S.S. guns were some of the best mid frame gun ever made in history.
They would be wise to bring them back.

I'm loving this one so far. About to drop the hammer on a new set of grips. I think I'm about to settle on a nice set of stag grips - I really like the look of them

I have two security six guns with 4" barrels. Both are the blued versions. One is a first year run made in late 1972 with the 150 prefix in the number. The second was made in 1986 with a 151 prefix in the number. The later gun has a heavier barrel and the latch pivot screw is thicker than the earlier model. Someone managed to bend the latch pivot so I replaced it and the latch also.

I also have two GP-100s and they have even thicker pivots than the six series of guns. I know it is fashionable to bash the GP in preference to the six series of guns but the GP is a stronger gun. Not that the sixs are weak just that the GP is stronger still.

But that being said I would love to find a 3-4" speed six in decent shape. It would be mine.

Deaf it ain't nice to make people jealous. Nice collection. I have a model 65 but with a 4" barrel. Shoots right to the sights too.

I tried to identify your guns but couldn't. My screen kept fogging up.:D

Well ratshooter,

From the top...

Ruger SP101 DAO .357
S&W 66-3 2 1/2 Combat Magnum .357
Ruger GP-100 .357
S&W 60 .38
S&W 686 .357
S&W 64 .38
Ruger Speed Six Factory DAO .357
S&W 640 .38
Ruger Security Six (modifed to Round butt) .357
S&W 65 'LadySmith' bead blasted with Clark Custom Guns red insert

But now I can add (not on this photo) a
S&W 64 3 inch DAO .38
3 inch 686 CS-1 .357
S&W 66-1 2 1/2 Combat Magnum .357
S&W 65 3 inch .357
Colt 2nd Gen Detective Special (factory nickle) .38
Dan Wesson Lil' Dan stainless .38
S&W 638 Bodyguard .38

And actually some N frames like my S&W 625 .45 ACP 3 incher and Lew Horton S&W 24 3 inch .44 Special! Maybe a wheel surrounding the wheel.

What I'd love to do is add a 2 1/2 Stainless PYTHON .357 in the middle of the wheel but man, $4000, no... no way.

Deaf

The gun is sound enough most likely, but it looks like it's been buried under a rock for the past ten years! You may want to consider having it hard chromed. This Beretta 70S was blued, but I had it hard chromed by Mahovsky's Metalife for a very reasonable price.

It will give your old gun a nice "stainless" look. It also virtually stops wear and tear. If you want to round your grips first, then have it hard chromed, you can use round butt Pachmayr Compacs.

Last edited:
I wish I had all my Six series revolvers back .. I have only a SS Security Six 357 mag now ... I picked up a GP100 in 357 mag .. which is a larger frame .. Great revolver in a great cartridge.

Buckeye: Maybe you can get someone to swap you a perfectly good 6-series gun of your choice for your GP. If you're a good enough salesman you might get a few bucks on the side. After my first Security-Six, a 4-incher, I remember getting a 6-incher. It was great having both and that 6-inch was a powerhouse and light weight for a 6-inch .357!

I once shot a 6" blued Security Six .357 at the shooting range on Vogelweh near Ramstein AFB, Germany. What a peach! Wanted one ever since.

$250 is a really good price. I spent $400 on my Security Six about a month ago. Couldn't ask for a better shooting piece. It's older than I am but it is still a beauty.

Yeah that is a deal! - and a steal these days. Congrats. :cool:

About 4-years ago I paid $400 for a little-shot blue police Service Six. This one has the 3" barrel but otherwise looks like the one in Armybrat's picture. Mine had just one owner, a long-retired cop who took it with him when he retired from the force in a small city. I really don't think he shot it at all after retiring. It cleaned up real nice and is a handy, accurate shooter.

Accuracy-wise, it seems to prefer the 158gn magnum loads to anything else.

I've been looking for a plain Jane 4 inch .357 magnum. Nothing fancy, a good reliable carry gun.

That's a very accurate description of Ruger's Security and Service Six wheelguns.

Last edited:
Back