Ruger Police Service Six

macsr01

I've been looking for a plain Jane 4 inch .357 magnum. Nothing fancy, a good reliable carry gun. I've always liked Ruger revolvers and when I Ran across this Jem for $250, I couldn't pass it up. A little holster wear but it's been carried more than it's been fired. Anyone know of a decent place to pick up parts since Ruger doesn't service them anymore ?

Attachments

• IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 370
I ordered a grip screw from Numrich for my Security Six and they have a list of parts you can order from them as well. Fast shipping and decent prices.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Does it need any parts? Pretty tough guns. I've had good luck at Gun Parts corp or eBay. Ruger won't repair them anymore.

I really like those.

If I ever needed a part, I'd try "Gun Parts" but I've never heard of a Ruger needing a part.

I'm a Smith & Wesson guy, but I like those of Speed/Security/Service-Six guns Ruger used to make. The GP's and SP's, not so much.

No repairs needed yet, I just like to know where to go in case. From what I know about this gun, my great grandchildren will probably be shooting this gun with no issues.

no support?

What? Ruger doesn't support the "Six" line anymore? Wow!

They sold a bunch of these to LE agencies and public alike, there's got to be a slew of them out there......hard to believe. One more reason for me to think poorly of the "New Ruger".

The Six line is typically tough as nails, you won't need many parts.

I would have paid $250 for it. I have a 6 inch Security Six Liberty Model I am real proud of. Great shooter! I would quickly buy another with 4 inch barrel if the right deal came along.

Yours probably spent years on the side of either law enforcement or armed security.

I put a Hogue Monogrip on mine. gives it a totally different look and feel. Monogrips fits my hand perfectly, maybe that is the reason I put them on 5 of my revolvers.

Enjoy a great firearm!

Last edited:
$250? Locks tight? No end shake? No crane shake? Shoots strait?

If so, and all for the price of a used Kel-Tec P3AT, well that's a heck of a deal.

I see blue speed six's here go for $400 or more.

Deaf

$250 is a really good price. I spent $400 on my Security Six about a month ago. Couldn't ask for a better shooting piece. It's older than I am but it is still a beauty.
8cb40e2b36bc8a9be08967b25131a4fb.jpg
e3e060def6d27b06c07d2e52d5b802de.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Think other than a really good cleaning, all I will do is put the Hogue grips on it. The stock grips are a bit to small for my hands. All the holster wear just gives it character.

We used to say when Ruger started making guns they bought one tree to use for making grips.

And they were still using it.

I got a security 6, five years ago for $300. It was made in 1979.

Attachments

• Ruger 1-13-2013.jpg
    Ruger 1-13-2013.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 137
Considering the $300+ Smiths I have seen, this is certainly a good $250 Ruger.

You can clean up the hammer and trigger, although I guess this disproves the Old Wives Tale that Ruger used stainless internals in blue guns so they would only have to stock one set of parts.

I wonder at the turn line on the cylinder. It has either been shot a lot or played with a lot.
Nothing to worry about, it has a lot of life left.

They sold a bunch of these to LE agencies and public alike, there's got to be a slew of them out there......hard to believe. One more reason for me to think poorly of the "New Ruger".

The Six series has not been manufactured since 1988...

As far as I understand it, they repaired them for 20 years after the last production run...

Not bad service IMNSHO...

I'm a Smith & Wesson guy but rhe Ruger Six series are fantastic and offer amazing value compared fo a Sith K frame..

Rugged, handsome and reliable...just like me :)

Back