Ruger or CZ?

Well I won't have a chance to get it until next year, that issue of funding and all. If it's gone before I can get it, then I guess it really is tough luck. Though the CZ website scroll has it up, so I guess they haven't stopped producing them yet

Two years ago when I was doing a Kindle book on CZ products that included the 550, I was told by CZ that they'd be phasing the 550s out as the 557s replaced them.

The 557 I had for testing in that book was a good shooter, but I prefer a controlled-round feeder.

I don't know how long the 550s will be produced.
If the FS versions are still actually available, you'd better work out the financing now, somehow.
Denis

Since you are not in a hurry, then do yourself a favor and promise yourself not to buy either until you have taken the opportunity to handle the Winchester model 70 Featherweight and the full-size model 70 Sporter, both in Walnut, of course. 270 Winchester is the preferred caliber, but here are some Featherweights out there in 6.5x55 Swedish that are worthy of consideration. If you really need a 30-'06, consider the model 70 Alaskan. Stainless is alright, but I feel that it's over-rated.

If you do not want any regrets get the CZ. Mine is highly accurate and as far as recoil I've been shooting 30-06 for 50 years there just ain't no recoil...just a love tap.

I'll do that pathfinder, I'll see if the local Cabelas has them in stock. If not, I'm in Dallas, there's sure to be somebody that carries them. Unless the Winchester changes my mind (the walnut would help a lot) or the CZ is long gone, I'll probably go for the CZ

You're thinking of the rimfire, which IS backwards.

I have one of those in full stock form, too.
I can live with the reversed safety on a plinking rimfire.

Whereas the CZ Model 550 does have the "American" style safety (forward to fire; rearward to safe), it is interesting to note that there is at least one centerfire CZ rifle that has the "backward" safety, their Model 527 "American".

I have the 550FS in 6.5x55 and it's a great shooter. The full stock DOES NOT negatively affect the accuracy of the gun. A properly bedded barrel shoots just fine, despite the insistence of the internet.

The 6.5 creed is a great hunting rifle so are the 6mm family of cartridges. Savage, Ruger and CZ are all very good rifles. Just pick one that you like and go for it.

Back