Ruger option of .357 or 9mm

I have an Old Model, lots of fun. Muzzle Velocity ? Jacketed vs. cast bullets, barrel wear all affect it. Mine shoots very well with 9MM lead bullets and so easy to retrieve the brass.

If you reload there is no reason for reloading the 9mm as cost is going to be a wash. I just stick with .357 brass and load to the velocity/accuracy I am looking for. Same goes for my .45 covertibles.

If you reload there is no reason for reloading the 9mm as cost is going to be a wash. I just stick with .357 brass and load to the velocity/accuracy I am looking for. Same goes for my .45 covertibles.
Careful Clark, you don't want to trigger the 9mm reloaders who find that reloading is a relaxing and enjoyable experience and they do it just for that.

Course, I've always found it strange it's 9mm that they only get that relaxation from reloading and not .45 or .32 or almost any other more expensive and easy to load cartridge.

I believe that reloading 9mm if fine... so long as 9mm is the only caliber you shoot.

you don't want to trigger the 9mm reloaders who find that reloading is a relaxing and enjoyable experience and they do it just for that.
Reloading is relaxing and enjoyable experience! Yes indeed :) . 9mm too. My point was the revolver cartridge .357 can be loaded to easily mimic the 9mm or .38 special or .38SP +P... up to .357 power levels. There is no need for loading the 9mm (or .38 Special) at all for the convertible. That's why my 9mm cylinder sits in the box. FYI, I don't even own a semi-auto in 9mm..... It is kind of funny that I did buy 9mm dies and a shell holder thinking I might load some up for fun.... But then, common sense got a hold of me and the dies are gathering dust too.

However if you not a reloader, then cheap auto 9mm ammo may make much more sense for plinking and dispatching small varmints.

If you reload there is no reason for reloading the 9mm as cost is going to be a wash.

If ALL you look at is cost, then pretty much yes. However only looking at cost overlooks the reason some of us reload, which is NOT to produce ammo cheaper than factory, or even as cheap, but to produce ammo that the factories do not.

Or the ability to make ammo when the store shelves are bare.....

I will admit I was a bit foolish not getting the convertible .357/9mm I thought I wanted, settling for a standard .357 (at a really good price) and before I got a serious jones for a non-semi auto 9mm, I got a 9mm Luger barrel for my Contender, and problem solved. :D

I don't think I would ever bother with a DA 9mm Luger revolver, I don't see the point to a 9mm Luger only revolver. But, that's just me.

IME the auto cartridges have appeared to be less accurate when fired in both a 357/9 and 45 Auto/45 Colt. I always suspected the long bullet jump of the auto cartridges might be a factor.

I shoot handloads almost exclusively so I load them with 357 and 45 Colt. Cost difference of plinking handloads between the respective auto and revolver rounds is very little.

Back