Ruger Old Army

Are they any good? Hell yes they are. They are strong, accurate and worth a decent amount of money. Personally I like the way they look also.
They are however not a replica of any historical weapon. To me this matters none. To some people it means they will not own one.
Also- you will want to use .457 balls and mine likes treso nipples with #10 Rem caps.

Last edited:
Uh, yes.

Ruger Old Army is the best cap and ball revolver you can buy for less than $1000. They are no longer being made and good condition articles can command premium prices. They are not a replica of any historical gun, but rather are a modern revolver that uses percussion cap ignition.

The quality and accuracy are great just be careful they are addicting.I bought one just for kicks now I have twenty.

Eehhhh...

... heck yeah, they are a great shooter!

Post some pics, I'd like too see it. :cool:

Congrats, and welcome!

Birch

there are no better made bp pistols ......one of the four I have I bought in 1974....still looks and shoots like a new gun....

North East redneck

I have two variations I really like.The brass frame and the high polish stainless with the faux ivory grips.But there isn't any of them I don't like.

Dstarver, as already mentioned, that's the best black powder revolver there is (though non historical). Did you get one in stainless? Luv to see some pics.

Weak, unreliable,

notoriously inaccurate, send it to me before it disappoints you further and I'll wave my customary disposal fee... :cool:

Don't listen to these guys Dstarver. They've been coopted by the bright blue or stainless finish and inherent accuracy of the ROA and are merely spouting the party line. I picked up two blue fixed sight 5.5 inch barreled models to show that I could resist the allure and steadfastly maintain that they are only for investment purposes.

Now........... where is that tongue in cheek smiley?

i like my three pre-perfix SS ROA,s and shoot them. eastbank.

Attachments

• Picture 1399.jpg
    Picture 1399.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 1398.jpg
    Picture 1398.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 43
The Ruger Old Army is the best cap and ball revolver made, now or ever.
+1 .

I haven't shot my 5 1/2" SS fixed sight one yet as I bought it recently as NIB (I was getting info on it whether it is a true collectable or not --low serial #161 ... So far it appears ... not) .... But my other blued 7 1/2" adjustable sighted revolver gets used!

RugerOldArmySS14800161_1_zps5d5b325f.jpg

Last edited:
Lucky to own one !!!

I was getting info on it whether it is a true collectable or not --low serial #161 ... So far it appears ... not)
Not sure what you mean by "True" but by my measure, at this time, it is. Two years ago, I passed on one just like yours at $475.00. Been kicking myself in the rear, ever since. ...... :mad:

Even if Ruger decides to start making these again, the new price will be so high, that yours, will still be a collectable.. ...... ;)

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!

Not sure what you mean by "True" but by my measure, at this time, it is
When it was sold to me, I was told it was an 'executive' gun (owned/allocated to someone at Ruger) but the guy never did get the papers.... Anyway, I sent in a request for more information at Ruger and they would not tell anything other than manufacture date (which I knew anyway) in the returned letter. I did get more info over on the Ruger forums about how only 12,600 fixed sight revolvers were produced and the Fixed Sight SS 5 1/2" is the rarest of the four combinations (7 1/2" blued, 7 /12" SS, 5 1/2" Blued, 5 1/2" SS) among those 12,600. So yes it is rare ... but not a 'don't shoot it' gun ... in my mind.

Back