Ruger No 1 Optics

Looks like a nice setup. Glad the low rings worked. Like you mentioned, higher mounts tend to pull me off the stock of most guns, and I think a gun just looks better when the optics are snugged up closer to the barrel/receiver.

You'll have to give a range report once you've done some shooting. More pictures are also encouraged. ;)

Last edited:
I guess everyone has his preferences, but I have found that lower magnification is just fine, assuming the glass is good. I cannot imagine a 16 power scope on a 45-70. I have failing vision also, but peeps work just fine for me. While OP has no use for black powder loads, I find I get the best accuracy with that propellant, and the recoil is less severe.

Good luck OP.

Bongo Boy, Glad things worked out. I have couple #1 and you also have to leave enough room that you can feed the #1. I got one that I hunt elk with and I'm little higher rings than I use if I was just bench shooting or PD's.

Here's what it looks like with the low rings:

This is a 6x, not a 16x...just in case there was any confusion or in case I made a typo above somewhere.

While OP has no use for black powder loads, I find I get the best accuracy with that propellant, and the recoil is less severe.

Let me retract my "no interest in" black powder loads. It wasn't that appealing to me, but I do love the smell of black powder, I guess it sure could be fun, and I think you've changed my mind. I just checked, and have 4 lbs of DuPont FFg, 1 lb of Fg, and 1 lb of Hodgdon Pyrodex--all of which is likely to be at least 20 years old in unopened cans. While I've never considered using it in anything but my mortars (I have quite a few scale models), I'd definitely consider it now. Heck it would be worth it to me just to fill the air with that wonderful aroma that can't be matched by anything I can think of. The original price tags are still on two of the cans: $2.75 for the Fg, $2.99 for the FFg. Those were the good old days, I guess.

It's been stored in those original cans and those cans have been inside a steel ammo can (I know, shame on me), and in the arid environment of Colorado since maybe 2000 or so. Any reason to think age has made it sluggish in any way? I'm thinking it's like new unless it deteriorates even without exposure to air.

I'd certainly have to change my gun cleaning habits drastically, that's for sure. A hundred rounds per pound for basically free...and I've never fired black powder except from cannons, mortars and other..uh, 'improvised' devices. Time to get that experience.

Last edited:
A low power 1.5 x 5 should help

I second that. I wouldn't put too much of a scope on a ruger nr1

just for looks a 1.5-6x42 is probably max, makes it more sleek

1,5 is good if you want to touch of a watermelon and catch the juices:D

and you say you don't want to hunt but it is never wrong to be prepared

Yes, it's a 6x36 now, for better or worse that's what we got to work with.

Anyway, this chapter in this No 1's transformation is sort of closed for now. Unfortunately, it will be weeks at least before I'm able to wring this thing out at a range. Just casted some 420 and 325 gr slugs tonight, but won't be able to size lube and load for quite some time. Not quite retired yet. Dambit.

Last edited:
* * * Not going to hunt hogs, black bear, rabbits or elk. Going to shoot paper. What are the options? Red dots, scopes, open sights are all just fine suggestions. I ask about optics because my eyes aren't all that great these days--I'm 60.

Were you going to hunt with it, I would've suggested a low-mounted, low-power variable, like the old Weaver 1-3x. That would be a perfect set-up for hog- or deer-busting. Compact, lightweight, and 3x is enough magnification for any critter you'd likely shoot with a 45-70Gommit - hardly a prairie dog or varmint cartridge.

That said, for just punching holes in paper @ 100yds off the bench, choose anything that will help you see the target clearly.

Back