Ruger No. 1 30-06

An alternative might be a #1 Varmint in 25-06 (my personal choice). It comes with a 24" bull barrel and the scope mounts are on the barrel, not straddling the barrel and receiver.

It is impossible to learn much about velocity when comparing different guns. I've compared a lot of guns velocities over the years and even with the SAME barrel length 25-50 fps difference is the norm. And I've seen as much as 130 fps difference. I've seen some 22" barrels shoot faster than some 24" barrels. And I've seen some 24" barrels be significantly faster than some 22" barrels. Many barrels, for a variety of reasons just shoot slower than they should.

The only number that means anything if you want to know for sure is to buy the 26" barrel, measure velocity at 26" and again as you cut it shorter. Of course you probably don't want to do that.

A 30-06 class cartridge's sweet spot is around 22"-24". You still continue to pick up speed with longer barrels, but in smaller increments beyond about 24". Going shorter than 22" and you start seeing speed drop off in larger and larger increments as you go shorter.

I think the biggest difference between having a 22" vs 26" barrel on the #1 is primarily aesthetics and balance. For me, 22" on a bolt gun is what looks and balances best. It moves easier through brush and the 30-50 fps I'd gain from a 24" barrel just isn't worth it to me. Going to 26" on a bolt gun would be completely unacceptable for me.

But on the #1, the way the receiver is made a 26" barrel would give about the same overall length and balance as a bolt gun with a 22" barrel. All things being equal you would probably be 50-75 fps faster too, but there is no way to say for sure. A 22" barrel on the #1 would result in a very short rifle that would balance and look much differently.

To my eyes, a 26" barrel on the #1 looks and feels better. But that is personal preference.

I know that perceived recoil is subjective but my 30-06 #1's kick is on par with my 03A3 with its steel butt-plate. I'd love to find one in 6.5x55 Swede.

Well, I did win that auction. My 26" 30-06 No. 1 is on the way. If I had lost, CDNN still has one in 9.3x74R for $999. I'd have needed another set of dies and some fairly expensive brass, but I already have a good supply of 9.3 mm bullets for my 9.3x62 Sauer. Rather have this one, but from my good experiences with the 9.3 bore, I suggest that one of you No. 1 fans jump on that rifle. It would be interesting to see what could be done with that big case in the Ruger action.

Really looking forward to the '06 Ruger, as my only rifle in that caliber is a sporterized 1917 with aperture sights. Great gun, but my eyes aren't what they used to be. My "new" one has a decent Leupold. I have some 165 SGK that might work. Pictures and range report to follow.

Picked up the Ruger this afternoon and took her straight to the range along with my 1917 and some random ammo. That old Remington is tight. Even with the 26" barrel, the Ruger is a little slower. But a very nice shooter. I had to remount the scope, but I got it pretty close with the 165 SGK. Now to tailor a load. The wood on this rifle is very nice. Trigger is not my best, but it's pretty good. I think this will do.

Attachments

• Ruger No. 1.jpg
    Ruger No. 1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 22
I have two one 25.06- 26" barrel, one in 243- 22" barrel the 25.06 needs the 26"barrel to be at its best, the 243 the 22" barrel is fine !!!

Back