Ruger New Model Blackhawk

I don't recall where I got these grips, but I hated the original wood grips on the Super Blackhawk, so I tried these out. I think it looks good too.

It handles nicely with 44 special. Full power mags drive straight back into my strong hand palm before it starts to rotate. A couple of cylinders of that and I'm more than ready to call it a day.

Attachments

• IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    894.4 KB · Views: 59
Try a set of Sambar Stag .
They may not reduce felt recoil and they may not improve accuracy but ...
they sure do look like a million bucks on a Blackhawk and have me totally convinced I'm a better shooter with them in place !
Gary

My 3 screw BH .357 was always comfortable to shoot with several factory loads.

Attachments

• 6E9260B2-FF9A-486A-A270-413FB7DC1422.jpeg
    6E9260B2-FF9A-486A-A270-413FB7DC1422.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 47
Eddiejoe, if you have access to a drill press or even a hand drill with sanding drums, files, and a little patience, you can make up single action grips to your liking. I've used poplar fencing, walnut from our farm, crab apple from the wood pile and a few exotic cutoffs from a cousin's bow making operation to stock my Rugers and a cpl of Colts.

I make mine thicker at the top to better handle recoil and have had good results from the get go. In practice, you shape to the grip outline, establish the top ~90 degree angle, then drill for the bottom locator pin. I use both a drill press and a stationary belt sander to do mine and it's a long morning's effort down in the shop...not counting the finish coats of tung oil.

CaryC tipped me on establishing the top angle first, fitting it tightly, then drilling the bottom pin hole....thanks Cary...

It's a fun project and I'll bet you don't make just one pair either! Here's a cpl I made up over the past year, (fiddle back maple on the Single Six, and spalted poplar on the 3-screw BH .41) ...holsters too....it's not that hard. A good discussion thread by Bob Wright came up in the last six months or so...and is a good, pictured, tutorial!

Best Regards, Rod

Since the days of mounted warfare are long gone, there is no real need to shoot from horseback, or even very close to the horse. As far as I know, they don't make earplugs for horses. You want to blaze away from horseback? Then don't you wear any hearing protection either, so you can get the full effect of what the horse is subjected to. That way, you can both go deaf together. I would never do it to my horses.
However, I suppose that no one was actually being serious about it. Still, I thought it was worth mentioning.
You may be surprised to find out how many police departments still have mounted elements.

I've lived in two towns where the local mounted police would bring their horses to fighter practice of the local Society for Creative Anachronism, a group that has done the "medieval martial arts" since 1966. The noise, crashing and bashing that occurs helps the horses get used to people doing such activities.

Life is too short to have ugly rubber grips on any gun. While my 44 Mag Vaquero can be a handful, allowing it to roll in your hand certainly helps manage recoil.

Life is too short for me to worry or care what other people think about what grips I put on my guns. :D

I like the rubber grips I use, and I've stated why. IF you don't, fine, don't use them. You're not wrong, and neither am I.

New member here. Lots of great information. I was gifted a New Blackhawk 45 a few months ago and now I'm hooked on the single actions. I'm also looking for alternatives for the stock wood grips. Might have to try making my own now. Really impressed with Rod's grips.

Welcome to tfl!

I love my Blackhawks. Get (or make) grips that fit your hand. I prefer pachmayr rubber but the material doesn't matter as much as the fit.

You can get grips that are really pretty or plain and utilitarian (aka "ugly), all up to you, its your gun. New Model Blackhawk is the best gun for the money I know of, and I've always thought it would have been the gun Colt built, if only he'd known how at the time...:D

Good or terrible is a personal matter, I think. For me, the rubber pachmayr grips work better, and I much prefer them to the smaller stock wood, on anything with significant recoil.
Agreed. My SBH in .44 is much more pleasant with the Pachmayr grips.

I have medium size hands and have owned just about every Ruger single action except The real oddball ones like 32-20 Single Six. I shoot them all single handed, including .44 magnum and .45 Colt (hot Ruger Only loads) and a Freedom Arms .454 Casull with beautiful wood grips. I like the Bisley style grips best, other people hate them.

The rubber grips universally gave me blisters or abrasions unless I used a shooting glove. I really don’t like them. The only problem I have ever had is with the old dragoon “knuckle buster” trigger guard and there... yes, a grip that fills in the gap so you don’t forget not to hold up there is very nice. Rubber or wood custom, that trigger guard ... okay, I got a new grip frame and problem solved forever. I know other guys that love those grips, they work for them.

As for making your own grips- absolutely! You don’t need one single power tool.
First step- get on eBay and buy some old beat up grips unless your grips are already old and beat up. Keep your pretty grips pretty for resale value.

Slow and steady, use sandpaper to fit your beater grips to frame. Then slow and steady to fit the grips so you get a “natural point.”

Natural point: pick up your gun. Put it in your hand firmly so it “feels right” to fire. Take a proper stance and raise your gun to target. Without moving your arm or hand left to right, you only need adjust up/down to put the sights on target.

“Proper stance”: stand ready to aim. Close your eyes then “aim” your gun by memory- eyes closed. You will be off left/right. Adjust your back foot to rotate your hips and bring target to bear. When new at this it may take three Or 4 passes. Under recoil, your gun arm rotates up then back down but with proper stance it’s aligned l/r automatically, making follow up shots less effort and more consistent. After a while, you just know your natural stance and only need one little adjust at most.

Short version- you hold your pistol, look at a target, bring up to aim and the sights are right where they should be with very little adjustment needed.

After working on a couple of cheap eBay second hand grips, you might want to take a try at making your own. I recommend laminating wood or micarta as the lamination lines make shaping by eye easy. I use a coping saw and a little Dremel tool rotating drum for roughing but use rasps, files and sandpaper for all but the coarsest shaping. A band saw or power jigsaw would be nice but ... only so much room at my house. I don’t care too much that my grips don’t look artist grade as hey... my pistols are tools. It might take me 2 weeks to make a set of grips or more, with how I fuss, look at them and come back later and decide I need more off, shoot, adjust more, etc. I am a hobbyist.

There are fellas that make grips professionally. They have the tools and skills to make fantastic grips out of very difficult rare materials, they can do it right the first time and time efficiently too. The results are works of art. I’m not talking about that.

I’m saying... every hand is different, and with a little patience and sandpaper, you can make grips that are a better fit than factory. They won’t be as pretty, most likely, until you’ve made quite a few. If pachmayer grips work for you, use em! First and foremost, guns is for shooting! Not no beauty contest until the good shooting part is covered. Just be aware they plain don’t work for me and lots of other fellas just as they are the bees knees for others.

Last edited:
I can’t stand rubber grips. I only have one pistol with Pachs, a FN HP competition model that came factory that way. Half the S&Ws I buy have Pachs because the #@$&&# took the wood grips off to sell separately. So I have to buy S&W factory grips off another @$&$# that is doing the same thing. People who do this should be arrested for rape, or at least pistol molesting.

All three of my Ruger singe action pistols, Super Blackhawk .44, Blackhawk .357, Single Six are wearing are wearing pachmayr presentation pistol grips. The Ruger grip frames are a mite to small for my hands. Those grips tame the magnums recoil very well, and fit my hand much better. hdbiker

Back