Ruger New Model Blackhawk

Eddiejoe

Several months ago, I ended up with 3 Blackhawks in .357. It was an auction, there was some bidding, I was distracted...:D
The two we have left are both 6.5" barrel, but one has the factory wood grips and the other has aftermarket rubber grips.
Anyway, we took them out to the range yesterday. My wife and I noticed the obvious difference in felt recoil between the two. I'm a rather stout man and my wife is the complete opposite.
I realize this is ancient news that the rubber grips reduce felt recoil, but I had never had the chance to compare wood and rubber side by side.
Our shot placement was much better with he rubber ones too!

Well, you're right...the rubber grips do tame recoil better than wood...but they're God-awful fugly. But on a lighter note, shooting full house .357 Magnums is not, IMHO, conducive to having a good time at the range. I've shot them for over 50 years now, and find that 1000 fps is about the top limit for a good time...and that's with 158 gr LSWC's.

But if you need them for whatever reason, no need, in my opinion, to justify their use. Best regards, Rod

You are right rodfac, they ain't pretty!
The wood grips are small for my hands as well. Maybe a larger set of wood grips...

@Eddiejoe: You may be able to have the best of both worlds. Altamont makes oversize wood grips with finger grooves for the Ruger single actions with the XR3-RED grip frame. Due to covid, altamont shows those grips as temporarily out of stock, but eventually they should come back in stock. I don't know how to post links here, but their web address is "altamontco.com".

I've been looking for similar oversize grips to fit the XR3 grip frame (new vaquero, flat tops), but haven't been able to locate any.

Last edited:
Assuming "plow handle" grip frames, and not Bisley, bird's head, etc...

If you're death-gripping the revolvers and trying a DA grip, the rubber grips will help.

But if you shoot them like proper single-action revolvers, the standard style grips will be even better - and the rubber terrible.

Those frames are designed to roll in your hand. If you resist or prevent such, they're less pleasant to shoot and transfer more recoil energy to your hand(s).

Rugaer SA

Have 357, 41 and 44 mags and do not like the feel of rubber grips.

It was my understanding that the gun should "roll" in the hand when firing which reduces felt recoil.

Give it a try and see how it feels.

They were designed to roll n the hand SHOOTING IN ONE HAND, so if you are shooting two handed with a combat grips, the theory is entirely different.

Roll in one hand and cock on the rise vs. combat grip and cock with support hand thumb.

I was using the two-handed DA grip.
I had no idea about the "roll!"
I guess we have to go to the range again. Darn it!

I’ve got blackhawks in .41 Mag (factory wood grips), and .45 Auto/.45 Colt (factory plastic) and using the let-it-roll technique, very much prefer the wood grips.

I’ve swapped the grips around on both guns, to make sure it was the grips and not the cartridge, but I just find the plastic grips to be a tad on the skinny side and not as comfortable to shoot as the wood.

The "plowhandle" type grips on Single actions were designed for one handed use. Particularly when mounted on a horse. It was assumed your other hand would be busy with the reins or possibly a saber. (or another gun if you're Rooster Cogburn :D)

It works pretty well, until you reach beyond the recoil level of the .45 Colt. It positively was meant to "roll" in your hand, Putting the hammer spur closer to your thumb for cocking "on the way back down".

But if you shoot them like proper single-action revolvers, the standard style grips will be even better - and the rubber terrible.

Good or terrible is a personal matter, I think. For me, the rubber pachmayr grips work better, and I much prefer them to the smaller stock wood, on anything with significant recoil.

And I require them on SA guns with heavy recoil. First, they're bigger, which fits MY hand better, and they fill in behind the trigger guard, which keeps my middle finger from being painfully bashed shooting heavy loads.

They do roll in MY hand, but a bit less than wood, turning what could be 110 degree muzzle rise into 70-80 degrees or so, which still allows me to thumb cock the gun one handed without any difficulty.

Additionally, I don't know if the rubber actually absorbs any recoil, but it feels like it does. I put rubber on my DA revolvers for the same reason.

My Blackhawks and Super Blackhawk all wear pachmayr grips. 6.5" barrel on the .357, 7.5" on the .44 and .45 Colts. My Super Single Six wears stock Ruger wood. No problem on that gun. But, on heavier recoiling guns, I want the size and feel of the rubber I have on them.

I don't care if someone else thinks they are ugly, or if they don't like the feel, on their gun, its their choice. On mine I want them to feel and work the best they can in MY hand, and for ME, wood is worse than rubber.

The Bisley grip shape doesn't roll in the hand like the plowhandle, it was designed for (dismounted) target shooting. The fact that many people find it handles heavy recoil better than the plowhandle shape is serendipity. At the time of its design, the heaviest recoil was the .45 Colt throwing a 250gr up to about 900fps or so.

If you expect to hold on to a SA revolver "rock solid" the way you should a DA for fast shooting, you're not going to be very happy with the SA. The very shape of the gun works against that. Let it recoil, and haul it back down to line up for the next shot. It's a repeater, not a machinegun. :rolleyes:

When fire restrictions are lifted here, I'm going to have to try the Roster Cogburn thing. Now I guess I have to get a horse. And a horse trailer. And some land with a barn and a corral and a new truck....
Owning firearms can be expensive!

When fire restrictions are lifted here, I'm going to have to try the Roster Cogburn thing. Now I guess I have to get a horse. And a horse trailer. And some land with a barn and a corral and a new truck....
Owning firearms can be expensive!

LOL

I once asked a cowboy if 'these' horses were gunbroke. He answered.. you can shoot off any horse... once.

Since the days of mounted warfare are long gone, there is no real need to shoot from horseback, or even very close to the horse. As far as I know, they don't make earplugs for horses. You want to blaze away from horseback? Then don't you wear any hearing protection either, so you can get the full effect of what the horse is subjected to. That way, you can both go deaf together. I would never do it to my horses.
However, I suppose that no one was actually being serious about it. Still, I thought it was worth mentioning.

I once asked a cowboy if 'these' horses were gunbroke. He answered.. you can shoot off any horse... once.

That reminds me of something a Navy sailor told me. Any ship can be a minesweeper.....once. :rolleyes:

And, yes the days of horse mounted warfare are long gone (except on the "silver screen"), so there's no real need to shoot from horseback, today.

However, the single action revolver was designed during the age of mounted warfare, when there was sometimes the need to shoot from horseback, and understanding how that was intended to be done does no harm to shooting from your own feet, and may even give some benefit.

I don't play the cowboy games, and I'm no slave to "historically accurate" or "period correct". I've even committed the heresy of putting a scope on a lever action rifle...:eek::rolleyes:

I love my Blackhawks, and I don't want them to be Colt SAAs. They're BETTER!! For me.

Blackhawk in .38-40 + 10MM is fine with wood grips.
Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag is a beast with factory wood grips. Pachmyer grips help with recoil but are too big. Haven't found the right combo yet.

I've shot them for over 50 years now, and find that 1000 fps is about the top limit for a good time...and that's with 158 gr LSWC's.
Yep. Me too. Although I am a bit behind you at 30 years of shooting (longer if you back the .22LR youngster days) .... My current .357 load is a 1071fps 158g SWC load.

Yes, rubber grips do reduce recoil, but if you keep your loads in the light-medium range and the wood/bone grips are pleasant to shoot with... and look good on Single Actions.

Back