Ruger MKIV ves Browning Buckmark .22lr

Shot this 10 shot group (holes marked with marker) today off of a sandbag at 25 yards with Remington Thunderbolt bulk. It's not on center, but that's what adjustable sights are for. I'm looking forward to tightening that up and working at longer ranges. I really like shooting this pistol. I have a TK hammer bushing on order to simplify the takedown process and allow mags to eject freely.

Attachments

• rps20190323_184753_539.jpg
    rps20190323_184753_539.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 36
I was trying to decide between the Mark IV and a Browning.
I really like the idea of the easy break down. Ideally I would have got the Mark IV stainless target model and added a fiber optic front sight, Volquartsen trigger, and wood target grips.
Then I saw this and bought it.
rAbkg2Fl.jpg

I've been shooting Rugers for about five years now. Picked up a Mk iii Target just after I began target shooting after an almost 60 year absence. Then picked up a BuckMark Micro Target. Later, I bought another BuckMark, can't remember which model. Decided I liked Ruger better. Now own a Mkiii Competition Target, the Mkiii Target, a Mkii Government Target and a Mkiii TALO Hunter which have all been modified with Volquartsen Accurizing Kits. Those kits made all the difference. I've always found the Rugers to be easier to disassemble and reassemble than the BuckMarks. Also found the Rugers to be more accurate. But, that's me, a personal thing. I suggest getting the one that appeals to you, practice and if necessary (in your own mind) modify it. I shot the Mkiii Competition Target last week. At 25 yards, using a sandbag and a Simmons scope, the groups were mostly one inch. Found I'm getting shaky so I'm going to readjust to 15 yards. Probably won't help much, can't hurt. I do shoot slightly smaller groups at 15 yards using red dots.

An aside, I own a couple of S&W Models 41. They are more accurate than the Rugers, at any range. Also have a Hammerli Xesse Sport which is even more accurate. Also picked up a couple of S&W Models 422 to use for plinking. Nice little pistols, about as accurate as the Rugers. They're all easier to service than the Rugers. However, they all more expensive than the modified Rugers, except the used S&W Models 422; they were less expensive than the stock Rugers.

Again, my advice is buy what appeals to you, practice and if you feel it necessary modify to get what you want. Basically any of the models you're considering will get the job done.

"...how big a PITA they are to strip & clean..." There's no need to fully strip a Ruger .22 for normal cleaning. A PITA is being polite though. Ruger did not want anybody doing it anyway. So they used a press fit.
Anyway, they're both entry level pistols. You can buy strictly on price. Then you'll have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo that particular pistol shoots best. Cycling usually isn't an issue, but that is done by the ammo too.

There's no need to fully strip a Ruger .22 for normal cleaning. A PITA is being polite though. Ruger did not want anybody doing it anyway. So they used a press fit.

Huh? The Ruger manual (at least for MK II & Mk III pistols) explicitly shows how to field strip these pistols.

If they are tight when new, it even recommends using a rubber mallet.

>>Buckmark are simplicity itself to strip & clean<<

Seriously? And yet Browning advises not to do so. Go figure....

Back