Ruger Max9

Yes, You are right and I away's wondered why the LC9s did not crack a frame like the LCP's. I do not think I ever saw one that did. I do not know if more rounds would do the same. But yes, I do advocate the steel frames.
I agree as well, at the Price Ruger wants for the Max9 I would go with the Sig. Hard to tell what a real street price is any more. And one thing I forgot to mention, forget it at that price without night sight which Sig comes with.
If Ruger had a MSRP of around $350 I would consider it.

Last edited:
I was at my lgs yesterday and was able to handle (but not shoot) the Ruger MAX 9, the Springfield Arms Hellcat, the S&W 1.0 Plus and the SIG models 365 and 365 XL. I did not care for the feel of the Hellcat (I have xl hands but not xxl size hands) and the SIG 365 felt "smallish" but I liked the way the Ruger MAX 9, the Smith Plus and the SIG XL version of the model 365 felt and handled in my hand about equally.

Tomorrow I have plans to return and buy the Ruger. Why the MAX 9 in lieu of the otherwise fine SIG and Smith offerings? At $399.99, it is considerably cheaper; it comes with two magazines and night sights, along with Ruger's hard-earned reputation for having great customer service. Now for an iwb holster. :)

It doesn't come with night sights. Those are fiber optic sights on the Max-9. Difference of about $100.

Agreed though. A person might not like the P365 if they have XL grip hands. . The P365 is unique in that it is the smallest functioning 9mm (sorry Diamondback DB9) with 10rnds. Same reason a Shield in my fit build and medium hands makes me think it's huge for carry.

My ideal weight would be about 10 lb. less than it is, but I've always been on the thin side and I'm not tipping any scales. I also have medium sized palms with stubby fingers. I don't find the Shield huge for carry. About the closest thing I carry to the Shield currently is the P365XL and there are times where I think the grip is actually a bit small. By small I mean that the pistol can squirm more in my hands than with other pistols. At the same time I'm admittedly used to carrying larger pistols. Fit of a handgun to different individuals has always seemed to me to be very subjective.

And purpose too, agreed.

Meaning, I have no interest in actually carrying. None at all. I hate it. I think a lot of people carry a gun based on how it feels.

Smallest/lightest and functional is my top priority. Anything bigger than the LCP is going to get intense hatred. Nice that my P365 has a PPQ like trigger and shoots (for me) like a full size. Acceptably bigger than the LCP.

Don't disagree with anything you said.

Just, don't buy the Max-9 thinking you're getting night sights :D

It doesn't come with night sights. Those are fiber optic sights on the Max-9. Difference of about $100.

In the April issue of the American Rifleman, Mark A. Keefe reviewed the MAX 9 and, regarding the sights, said: "...What Ruger did was concentrate on the front sight, and what the pistol uses there is a Hi-Viz green fiber-optic that has a tritium circle as well. This makes it a good sight for daylight use, but you can also find that tritium circle in the dark."

Maybe the tritium sight is an option (I have no idea) but the one I'm interested in at my lgs has them at the aforementioned price of $399.99.

Back