Ruger Max9

BigPoppa

Purchased the new ruger max9 from a local gun show yesterday. Attached the Sightmark m3 aspec reflex red dot from shopruger.com.

Disclaimer: I am an admitted fan of Ruger firearms.

The Ruger Max-9 was on the cover of the "American Rifleman" and their impression of it was very favorable and they also said it was about $100 cheaper than its closest competitor.

Have you shot it yet? A question that might be asked today is do you have enough 9mm ammunition to give it a decent range test? Now that you have it home what's your thoughts on fit, finish, etc.?

On my list to purchase when obtainable at less than msrp. Planning on going the “Pro” route which doesn’t have thumb safety, and ships with 12 and 10 round mags.

Here's a video review on the Ruger Max 9.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql9tRDpZrwg

But look at the horrible muzzle rise in the photo from the video.
I noticed a whole bunch of people also commented on that issue.
Is it shooter or pistol ergonomics? Don't know but my Kahr pm9 has a ton less muzzle rise than that photo!:eek:
attachment.php

Attachments

• ruger max 9 recoil.jpg
    ruger max 9 recoil.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 1,432
Here's a video review on the Ruger Max 9.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql9tRDpZrwg

But look at the horrible muzzle rise in the photo from the video.
I noticed a whole bunch of people also commented on that issue.
Is it shooter or pistol ergonomics? Don't know but my Kahr pm9 has a ton less muzzle rise than that photo!:eek:
attachment.php

It’s hard to gauge recoil of two firearms by looking at stills of someone shooting one of the firearms and remembering back to your own shooting. It could be the person in the video simply isn’t doing a great job at controlling recoil. If you have stills of the same person shooting both pistols then you have a bit more to work with, but again it might not tel the whole story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you watch the video? He has 297k subscribers, so I assume he is supposed to be fairly skilled.

Him being skilled or not doesn’t negate the point about trying to make relative comparisons of recoil without seeing the same shooter shoot the two pistols in question. As for having a number of subscribers meaning you are a good shooter, that can be true but it’s not always a given.

Edit: that looks like an M&P not a Glock, but regardless that’s also a compact to full size pistol. That’s generally a lot easier to shoot well than a pistol as small as the Max.

Here’s another shooter with the Max. It does seem to have some recoil, which is to be expected given the size and weight, but it doesn’t seem that dramatic (shooting at the 39 sec mark):

https://youtu.be/uXeLplv2r1Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The price difference is insignificant and almost irrelevant.

The LC9 is a Kel Tec PF-9 copy that Ruger built up. Fine. They made the LC9 better, but now compare that to a P365. Total world of difference.

The ruger is a copy of the KELTEC P 11 .But a striker fired instead if a hammer .
Same frame and barrel .

The original was a copy/clone/knock-off/"homage to" the PF9. Then they changed the design completely, from a KT style hammer fired, to striker fired.

My LGS has them for $449. If I hadn't recently purchased a Ruger security 9 compact I would have brought it on the spot. It felt well balanced and fit my hand nicely. No sharp corners, easy to rack slide , decent sights and a very nice trigger. My son has a Sig 365, as well as a Ruger Security 9 compact. He shoots the Ruger better. Looks like an excellent value IMHO.

The price difference is insignificant and almost irrelevant.

The LC9 is a Kel Tec PF-9 copy that Ruger built up. Fine. They made the LC9 better, but now compare that to a P365. Total world of difference.
At my club we have a group of members that test out different firearms. We put our money in the ammo and will shoot a thousand rounds. All are very experienced shooters with a minimum of 10 years of EDC.
We tested the 365. Over all we thought it was a nice firearm. However, there were negatives as well. I will not go into all of the reviews are opinions.
But one thing was interesting was that some of us actually owned the LC9S and were very familiar with that firearm. We agreed the 365 shot very similar to the Ruger. Both snappy compared to some other Micro 9mm's. And the 365 was not a good fit for most of us other than one woman in the group who shoots competitively. She bought the 365. (Later sold it) The Narrow receiver to the grip caused some to ride the slide. We had to be conscious not to do this.
Given the Price, most of us agreed for the money the LC9S was a better value over all. For those that feel they need 10 rounds or more then I would consider the Ruger which just upped the anti to the Sig.
Personally I would shoot both side by side if possible.

Sig narrow receiver to grip.

MvAoNRI.jpg

Last edited:
What I’m seeing and hearing is that the new Ruger is similar to the Hellcat in terms of recoil. I don’t have the Ruger but do have the Hellcat and for what it is, it’s a snappy little bugger. Certainly perceived recoil is sharper than either the P365 or the 43X.

I’ve been shooting and carrying my LC9s since they first came out. I’ve tried a lot of guns to replace it to gain more rounds but they’ve all come and gone. The best thing I’ve ever done is put a grip sleeve on the LC9s and it makes a world of difference in my fairly good sized hands. It shoots as good as and better at 7yds than anything I’ve ever owned, but does take a good firm grip and regular practice. As soon as I can find one I’m sure going to take a good look at the Max9.

Carl...you attack the LCP frequently for being an aluminum frame and lack of stainless slide (which the P365 is)...but you are now saying the LC9 is better than the P365.

Which is it :)

I have never heard of someone riding the the slide on a P365?

LC9 slide is almost as tall as the entire P365 slide+grip.
https://www.handgunhero.com/tabletop/ruger-max-9/sig-sauer-p365
Handgun Hero is also not using the standard Max-9 mag base in their comparison, but the flat.

Look at the Max-9 vs Ruger's on Security. Eek. Almost the same, with the Security being shorter: https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/ruger-max-9-vs-ruger-security-9-compact

If it were $300, the Max is awesome. At nearly the same as the P365? No way. Currently listing $150 more than the P365 without night sights? Hm... good luck Ruger.

They really are different sized guns.

Last edited:
Back