Ruger, Marlin, Savage .17HMR: Which Would You Pick?

Have had a few Marlin rimfires, but all before the 17hmr was introduced, so I can't speak to the newer ones. The older bolt guns have served me very well. I do have a Savage Mako in 17hmr, with a SS scope on it, and it's a blast to shoot.
I've read where a few folks don't like the accu-trigger, but I must have got a good one...smooth as silk. Brother is taking this one to Texas for ground hogs and yotes in the near future. As long as you aren't shooting in high winds, it's very accurate. I've been pleased with it.

SavageMako1-1.jpg

Rifle choice

I would choose Savage:
also Ford
also vanilla
also medium-rare
IMHO all of these choices are very similar based on individual experience.

I bought a CZ in 17 HMR If you can not do your own trigger job and heat and bend the guide in the clip so it will feed and do your own bedding then figgure on another $200.00 for a gun smith to fix them, after i did all that on mine it is a very good acc rifle, but for the cost of them a person should not have to do all that stuff to a new rifle to get it to shoot acc.

If you had to do all that to get your CZ to shoot accurately, then you obviously got a lemon and made a mistake by not sending it back for repairs.

Regarding the OP's question, IMO the best combination of price and accuracy would probably be Savage.

I have 3 of the Marlin 917V rifles and one 917VS (stainless). One of those gave me a 200 yard match score of 499/500 from prone. The next month, I shot a 500/500 at 200 yards from prone. That rifle is right in its stride at 200 yards!

The Marlin company was sold and I must admit, the appearance of the stocks went downhill. I ordered some Marlin factory replacement stocks for the VS models. They are laminated gray stocks and very nice for about $85.

Flash

Marlin 917VS all you need .5" at 100

I know this thread is old but... I just acquired a new 917VS at wall world for $208. Shot well I previously had a Savage. Then I see the new A17 ammo.
Long story short consistent groups of .5" at 100 with no mods to rifle other than adjusting factory trigger to a lighter setting.
Been a shooter for 56 years, I may never pick up my 22 again

I bought one too and have experienced consistent sub-MOA with any ammo I've shot through it. Makes me feel like I'm actually a good shooter. LOL

The CZ would get my money. I know its not on your short list, but it should be. I dropped a Timney trigger in my CZ 452 Varmint and never looked back. Shooting off of a Harris Bipod with a Leupold scope it is spot on accurate and on of my favorite varmint rifles out to 150 yards. I prefer shooting it over my Winchester 17WSM. While they no longer make the 452 its replacement is every bit as good if not better.

If you care about aesthetics, the Ruger 77-17 is the only choice. We have a pair of them and they are by far the most pleasant to look at of the lot. No slouch on accuracy either.
I also have a RAR 17HMR. Not nearly as happy with it due to the weak extractor system and tinker toy stock but it's about the only game in town if you want a factory lightweight 16" threaded barrel.
I fail to understand the need for a heavy barrel 17. The bore is so tiny that even a sporter profile is fairly thick. Adding weight to a rimfire seems illogical unless you're match shooter.

I fail to understand the need for a heavy barrel 17. The bore is so tiny that even a sporter profile is fairly thick. Adding weight to a rimfire seems illogical unless you're match shooter.
It helps prevent muzzle flip from heavy recoil. ;)

I am very happy with my Ruger American. It is an excellent new design with all steel where it counts and all weather plastic for the stock. The weight and carbine length are ideal for the woods. Mine, in 22mag, with Hornady Vmax 30gr will put 5 shots in one inch at 100 yards. I expect similar from a 17 mag. Some may shoot better and other worse. I should be pretty typical if you try enough ammo and shoot off a good rest with a good scope. A simple spring swap will make an excellent (for factory gun) trigger even better. The barrel floats and action is bedded with two steel blocks, so; the flimsy stock is a light weight plus. I find the action is smooth and been 100% reliable.

My old marlin micro groove was accurate but; the action was IMHO kinda cheezy and not nearly so smooth to operate. The CZ Is a class act for double money of the Ruger American and IMHO double the gun. Probably not what the OP wants in price. Old thread anyway - right? I chose a CZ 453 over the Ruger 77, as a better gun (looks, function, accuracy) for less money than a 77. I think the CZ rimfires are more accurate that the Rugers on average across the line. I am not aware of any reports that claim the Ruger 77 are any more accurate than Ruger Americans. The 77 is nice, I dont see the value- but nice. I may try a 77/44 some time.

I forgot the 77 triggers are the pits. The CZ or Ruger American are fine right out of the box and both can EASILY be improved for those who play that game.

I have a CZ 455FS .17hmr and it is a great little gun. Amazingly smooth action. I do not have a scope on the gun but am impressed with the open sights accuracy. It has made me a big CZ fan. Know it wasn't on the OPs list, but still worth a good look.

Back