Ruger Mark IV styles -- thoughts? Opinions?

"Is there a way to improve the balance on that polymer lower? Metal grips, etc?"
If it's a grip frame with the 1911 style panels, then any 1911 grip panels should fit. There are weighted panels for specific uses IIRC.
I agree that adding a long, heavy barrel to a 22/45 makes it muzzle heavy. Many precision shooters prefer this as I do. I no longer do much off-hand pistol shooting so it's no much of an issue for me. One of my go to field positions is sitting using crossed sticks with the barrel/muffler junction in the X. With elbows on knees, this is a very stable position.

FWIW, I find my 22/45 Lite does not have the accuracy of the 22/45 Target. The lower upper weight will let the Lite balance better though.

As a whole, the 22/45s balance better with a loaded mag.

I have to make a rather embarrassing correction. All this time, I've been saying that I got Mrs. McGee a "22/45 Target." I looked at Ruger's website and could find no such beast. Apparently, I got her a plain old Mk IV 22/45. There is no "22/45 Target." :o

That said, the only differences I can see between the Mk IV Target and the 22/45 are: (1) the grip frame; (2) the stamping of the word "Target" on the Target model; and (3) price.

I have a Mark IV 22/45 Target (model 40107).

From the git go and after approximately 1,000 rounds I have been extremely impressed. Not a single failure (except a CCI mini mag that had ?wax? where the case and bullet are together). It has been extremely accurate and a fantastic training pistol for my other semiautomatics and cheaper, of course.

I am getting old and since I have added the 22/45 my shooting with all of my handguns has gotten better. I am learning to mostly overcome the vagaries of aging by being able to shoot the 22/45 more and without failures.

I also have an SR22 and a GSG 1911-22 but they are inconsistent in their performance and that breaks the concentration. The 22/45 has eaten any High Velocity or Standard Velocity ammo I have tried.

So far I have not even wanted to entertain putting any type of scope on the Mark IV 22/45.

Spats,

Not on the weapon itself, but on the box it has the words "Catalog No: Target".

The pistol has Ruger Mark IV on one side (left) and 22/45 just above the trigger on the other side.

Has the bull barrel and I did put a High Viz green front sight on it and I added a slide racker which helps my old hands tremendously.

Got the gun from GrabAGum and with shipping and insurance was less than 290.00. But I noticed that their price on the same model has increased a lot. Mine was made this year.

I found that looking through the Ruger website and the models of 22/45 therein it was quite confusing at first as to which one to get and I am quite pleased with the one I got.

Thanks, dontcatchmany. I'll have to take a look at the box that came with Mrs McGee's. I looked at the pistol this morning, but didn't think about the box.

This is what Ruger designates as a "Competition Target". Not for weak wristed 'newbies' though:

82uX6Qyl.jpg

The laminated grip panels suck as far as decent wood is concerned. These are now in the works:

0n5hQQtl.jpg

Back