Ruger Mark IV, rear sight removal, DON'T!

If anyone is planning on trying to re-cut a dovetail with a hacksaw I suggest keeping some JB weld on hand.
There's a reason dovetails in steel are generally made with milling machines costing thousands of dollars rather than twenty dollar hacksaws.

LOL! No one was suggesting recutting the slide dovetail with a hacksaw. The suggestion was to use a hacksaw instead of a file to cut the old sight base stuck in the slide dovetail. You don't have to cut all the way through, just thin enough so that the base can be removed or thin enough that it has more give to slide out.

Since we were talking about hard to remove sights, this was revelant. Someday someone will find themselves in the same shoes I was in a couple of days ago, faced with the choice of finding a gunsmith, or sending off the slide for sight removal.
Here is a photo of the filed sight base after the blade broke off. The slide dovetail was in perfect condition after I removed the old broken sight base.
attachment.php

Attachments

• filed slide.jpg
    filed slide.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 3,876
Last edited:
I’m all for doing your own work on guns, I do it all the time. The time to get online about it is before you screw up your gun. To many videos out there to watch the whole process being done before you start on yours. Not only to keep you from screwing up your own gun but they are great time savers to.

Back