Ruger manufacturing?

badtheba

Inactive
My wife and I took CPL classes a couple weeks ago, and our NRA instructor gave a lot of pointers and advice on what to buy and not buy. Some I already knew was marketing, some sounded legit, and some I kind of wondered if he knew what he was talking about. He definitely had his favorite brands, and talked bad about whatever he didn't like.

So he was pretty patriotic, and definitely pushed American made firearms. He talked up S&W and Colt, and really put down Glock, Sig Sauer, and others that I know to be quality manufacturers (I own a Glock, and it has been flawless). He generalized with statements like "yeah, they're all somewhere in Europe."

When he listed reputable American/USA made companies that we should consider, I noticed he omitted Ruger. I have owned a 10/22 for almost 20 years, and I was always under the impression that they were American made, even if not 100%. When I asked him about it, he addressed the whole room and said "well, Ruger isn't really made in the USA... they're imports. They get almost all their parts from Japan. They are just "assembled" here." After our range time, I privately asked him again to clarify, because one of the models we were interested in for my wife was a Ruger. At that time, without the rest of the class present, he suddenly couldn't say for sure what country they got parts from...

So me being naturally suspicious, I wondered if he was intentionally trying to tarnish their reputation, or if there was some merit to it. I'm sure every company at some point imports some components, but are Ruger firearms primarily USA made, or no? Was He trolling me hoping I would just believe him and buy a S&W (which I did, but not based on our conversation)?

Sounds like he has some "vulnerability" issues. You'd do best to do your research and buy firearms that suit your needs - regardless of how many parts are made in the US vs overseas.

Thanks, but I am really looking for definitive info specifically on Ruger. Not just to satisfy my curiosity about what the instructor said, but because I am interested in the history of it too. Wikipedia and about pages list multiple facilities in the U.S. and don't ever say much about Ruger currently being an import brand. However I haven't been able to find anything definitive that they are actually still manufactured in the U.S.

Folks should not talk about things when they do not know the facts. It makes them look ignorant and I would question their knowledge on the course they are teaching. Spreading false information is why their are such a number of uniformed anti gun folks.

FWIW, a number of Sigs are made in the USA as well as some Glocks. I would buy the gun that you like. If it happens to be made in the US, then it would be a bonus if you like to buy US only products. Most manufacturers will source globally but their are guidelines by how much a percentage needs to be in the product to be labeled made in ____.

Yes, they are American made. From the Ruger website: "Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. is one of the nation's leading manufacturers of rugged, reliable firearms for the commercial sporting market. As a full-line manufacturer of American-made firearms, Ruger offers consumers over 400 variations of more than 30 product lines...."

Your instructor does all of his students a disservice when he trashes any of the major brands. His job is to teach you to safely carry a handgun. Explaining the different systems, e.g., SA, DA/SA, DAO, various striker fired systems, is fine if done professionally and objectively. He is clearly not a pro, and I would have had to tell him that.

Thanks for the info guys. You're right, I do remember seeing a video on Glocks made in the USA. Didn't know about Sig.

K Mac "He is clearly not a pro, and I would have had to tell him that." I lol'd at that one, because I'm not a pro either and I wouldn't see myself telling him off. :p But my BS meter did kick in anyway. Thanks!

Just because a person is standing in front of a group does not mean they know everthing. The posts above give the best advice--and your BSometer means you should apply a 100% discount on everything that guy said.

I've worked with people who worked in the Ruger production facilities and the major parts like barrels, frames, cylinders, etc. are not made in Japan or overseas. Stuff like pins, springs, and screws/bolts might be, but I don't know for sure.

Your instructor was a fool, which calls into question anything else he may have told you.
Rugers are, as others above have said, US made.
Denis

You really have to take people's opinion with a grain of salt, some you should just disregard all together. I know a number of people go on about how poor something is yet have absolutely no experience with what they are running their mouths about. If I had taken to much stock in others opinion I wouldn't have my Rossi Plinker, R92, or the laughed at Phoenix Arms HP22a. All three probably see the most range time out of the firearms I have.

I carried a Ruger LC9 for a couple of years. Shot it a good bit too. I found it to be an reliable gun that was so-so in being rugged. I dropped it once and the front sight came loose - nothing that couldn't be fixed with some locktite. I found the plastic takedown button to be cheap, hard to work and mine broke, but it is easily replaceable.

I have a Ruger AC556 - full-auto mini-14. It is a rock-solid reliable .223 carbine, and has been since before 1986 when it was manufactured.

I owned a Ruger 10-22 - rock-solid reliable little .22 carbine.

I also owned a Ruger GP199 .357 revolver. I didn't shoot it much, but it was reliable and accurate. The trigger was no where near as good as some of the Colt or even S&W higher quality revolver triggers.

I have a Ruger Mark II .22lr pistol - It's rock-solid reliable and accurate; never breaks, but it is a PITA to take apart and clean.

I also have a Ruger Single Ten .22lr revolver. - Nicely made and finished, nice trigger, good balance - I eventually plan to use it to teach my kid how to shoot handguns.

If you want my opinion on Ruger as a company, I'd say they make good mass produced guns that work. There's nothing all that special about any of my Rugers. Their designs are not cutting edge and they are not particularly "high-end". But, Rugers work well and are meant to be shot a lot.

I would also agree the instructor imparted absolutely no useful knowledge about the quality of various firearms and firearms manufactures based on what the OP said he said.

I wonder if the instructor might have an affiliation with a local guns store that does not carry the brands he trashed.

I once visited a gun shop looking for a SIG and the owner told me they were “crap” and I should buy a CZ. Not being familiar with the CZ brand at the time and really wanting a SIG I went somewhere else. Then a few months later after researching CZ I decided to go back and take a look. When I went back apparently he had sold all his CZs. He then told me I didn’t want a CZ because they were “junk” and I should buy a – wait for it – SIG. Needless to say I didn’t buy anything or go back to that shop.

Bottom line gun shops and their affiliates push whatever they have in stock and regrettably will sometimes bad mouth other brands.

Your instructor was a fool, which calls into question anything else he may have told you.
Rugers are, as others above have said, US made.
Denis

+1

BTW, Sigs are made in the US as well.

Buicks are made in China.
My Ford was made in Spain.
Springfields are from Croatia and Brazil.
Toyotas are made in Alabama.
BMWs in Carolina.
Beretta has manufacturing facilities in MD, TN, Italy and Australia.
What does it matter where stuff is made anymore.
As long as it's good stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your great answers.

Skans, I don't know how to quote posts on this forum, but you said "I have a Ruger Mark II .22lr pistol - It's rock-solid reliable and accurate; never breaks, but it is a PITA to take apart and clean."

I was recently in a gun shop that had several model variations of the Mark III heavily discounted. Because I had shot my brother in law's Mark II several times and thought it was fun to shoot and well made, I was interested. Until the employee told me that the reason they were discounted is that the Mark IVs are flying off the shelves as soon as they get them in because of the improved tear down procedure. He described the tear down on the Mark II and III as being 5-10 minutes. On the Mark IV I guess they put a lever toward the back of the grip that reduced tear down to seconds? Of course since what he said was supposedly true about not being able to keep them in stock, I didn't see one in person. Maybe I'll check YouTube.

He described the tear down on the Mark II and III as being 5-10 minutes.

Only if you don't know what you are doing.

Detailed disassembly and reassembly can done, with practice, in less than 2 minutes (120 seconds).

Ruger is as 100% American made as it gets and actually one of my favorite companies. I like most of their products, but other than the GP and SP line of revolvers and the Hawkeye rifles don't consider anything they make top tier. Even with those examples I have a personal preference for S&W revolvers and Winchester rifles. But I'll acknowledge their are are probably just as good, simply preference on my part. The 10/22 is the closest thing they make to being "best in field".

While usually good, I can find BETTER products that compare to everything else they make. The difference isn't huge, I'd still carry most anything they offer as a 2nd or 3rd choice especially if money were tight. But when it comes to SD style handguns I find S&W, Glock, Sig, Beretta, etc. to be enough better to pay the difference.

Ruger CQ is often spotty. Their philosophy seems to run production as fast as possible and let the customer do the final inspection. Over the years myself, and family, have had to return more Rugers or Ruger parts to the factory than all other brands combined. By a wide margin. To their credit they've always promptly made things right. But still, it makes one wonder.

Detailed disassembly and reassembly can done, with practice, in less than 2 minutes

Including trigger parts? I just can't believe this. Granted there is a learning curve to disassembling and reassembling a Mark II, but I will be impressed if someone can completely disassemble and reassemble a Mark II in less than 15 minutes.

Back