Ruger Magnum Hand Guns

There two things I am missing out on by putting rubber grips on my SBH. The beautiful look of the wood grips and the irritating knuckle slap do to those little plow handle wood grips in my comically large hands. As for my Bisley .454, no need to change those pretty wood grips do to the design and size of them.
.357’s, not even hot ones, recoil as hard as a .44 mag in a similarly sized firearm.

Last edited:
Here's how much I like Ruger factory grips:

First, a 1979 vintage Security Six:

Second, a 1984 vintage RH in 357:

The factory grips were the first to go.

Bayou

Last edited:
I now own 2 Ruger magnum revolvers. A Ruger .357 Police service six and a .44 magnum Super Blackhawk. Both of these revolvers seem to have small size grips from the factory. I've replaced the grips on the 357 with Hogue Rubber 1 piece grips and it is a pleasure to shoot mag loads. I just got the Blackhawk and just ordered new rubber hand grips for it. I hope for the same results for the Blackhawk. Anyone else have a problem with the factory grips on Ruger magnum revolvers? I also own a Ruger Mark lll 22/45 it's not a magnum but the grips are perfect for me and I can shoot that all day long
I have not read the following 23 posts. I will say YES, exactly my experience. I use the Pachmayr grips. Discontinued but; still available NOS can be found. Much better attachment and very comfortable.

IIRC, the factory grips on my FiL's newish GP100 were Pachmayr-like and work fine for both of us. Either that or he replaced them and I just don't remember.

I have XXL hands, and the factory grips on my SP101 absolutely didn't work for me. I got the largest Thai exotic hardwood grips I could fine, and they work fine (plus they look great). The Hogue mongrip I bought as an interim measure was still too small for me, but I gave it to my smaller-handed friend and he loves it.

Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks are a different story. I tuck my pinky under the grip and hold it a little looser than my other handguns. I was taught that as the "proper" method for shooting SA revolvers, and it has always worked well for me. In general I still prefer shooting my Ruger SA's to any of my other revolvers.

My father-in-law gave me his Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum back in 1987. I was excited to shoot it the first time out, each time I shot it though, I couldn't keep the small factory wooden grips from sliding around and hurting my hand. I only shot six rounds thru it and I was done. I hated the grip on that gun so much, I put it up the day after I shot it the first time and didn't shoot it again for 31 years. I gave thought to selling it or trading it for something I would like better, but six months ago, I put a one piece Hogue grip on it and I couldn't believe the difference it made. I'm ashamed to admit it, since I let that gun sit all those years, but now that Blackhawk is my favorite revolver to shoot!

20180704_124437_zps9xf6rhm9.jpg
[/URL

Back