Ruger M77 or Rem 700

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I suppose a unanimous vote pretty much seals that deal. I do handload so I was considering the .270 for brass cost/lifespan already but you have all been a big help. Now I suppose its time to move on and talk scopes... I have a spare bushnell banner (6-18x50) laying around ($38 on clearance was hard to argue with), does anyone have any objections to that matched up with my soon to be M77? I think its a good place to start considering no extra cost but I def want reliability first and foremost. With the budget I usually have, I'm thinking under $350 is a must, maybe when I win the lottery, someone can talk to me about moving up ;)

LOL That's funny haters buying rem oil and lube LMFAO That must be some good koolaid Sheep

well, you're talking about a product that costs hundreds of dollars versus cheap oil and lube that only costs a couple of dollars. who gives a flying ****?

I have a 270, Remington 700 and love it, But I also recently had a major overpressure in a Ruger:(.........I'll take the Ruger any day of the week after seeing how it held together.

Look into vortex scopes vortexoptics.comI have a vortex viper 4-12x40 that I love. Clear bright and repeatable adjustments for long range shooting. The viper is about $400 but the vortex diamondback series is retailing at around $200. I also have a pair of their binoculars and just ordered another scope. They have the best warranty I have seen, forever for any reason free repair or replacement. And it is transferable. They stand behind their product. Look at the thread from a few days ago about the bushnell problems. Avoid that hassle and get a good warranty!

MoShooter, that was a pretty big stretch to classify us as haters for buying remington gun care products but not their guns. Most everyone is recommending the ruger because it is chambered in 270. If the remington were also chambered in 270 it would be garnering a lot more "yes" votes. Remington makes fine rifles but you have to understand their internal turmoil coupled with the safety issue will turn some people away....possibly permanently. Hell, ruger is still shaking off negative press earned twenty & thirty years ago because it is perpetuated by lazy misinformed internet experts.

I doubt i'd buy anything with Remington's name stamped on it with the exception of the gun lubes/oils/QUOTE]

This statement really makes me laugh ROTFLMAO... If you're going to bad mouth and half a$$ boycott why don't you do it right,buy a different brand if you hate remington so much???

mdd post #17 makes no sense wouldn't buy anything with remington on it yet buy their oils and lubes??? My post was directed to post #17

I grew up on Remingtons I have been hunting and shooting Rems over 40 years now,shotguns,rimfire,centerfire.We always hunted hard sun up to sundown,I am not sure how many miles I packed a Rem 1100 quail and pheasant hunting with good reliable service from those shotguns.
When it comes to the Remington centerfire rifles started shooting my Dads rem 721 280rem he purchased in 1959 that old rifle will still shoot a a one hole group today.I have 4 different 700's all very accurate and never a fail to fire,fail to eject,or any safety problems ever?
The way I see it if it's good enough for military and LE (remington) it's good enough for me the past 40 plus years

Guess I have a dog in this fight!

keep on dreamin' :D....bought my dad a new ruger 22-250 target 10 years ago and he took it back cause he couldn't get it to group,that rem 700 varmint 22-250 put that ruger target to shame :barf: lol

Ive owned Remington products before and was well pleased with them, My first rifle was a .308 in model 788 Remington. I cut grass all summer saving for that rifle and looking back I wish I still had it . I just prefer the Mauser-ish action and the fit and finish of a Ruger m77 MKII. But I still wouldnt kick a Remington Model 700 out of bed either ..................LOUD

bought my dad a new ruger 22-250 target 10 years ago and he took it back cause he couldn't get it to group,that rem 700 varmint 22-250 put that ruger target to shame

That was 10 years ago. Today, the general consensus is that ruger has gone up in quality and remington has gone down.

I agree 100%. I bought a Ruger P95 pistol around 1997 and it looked and shot like it was made in a cave in Waziristan.

Last year, after shopping for months for a new hunting rifle I chose a Ruger Hawkeye. I was so impressed with the rifle that I have since bought a 10/22 and a Mini-30. I really like modern Rugers, they are a much better company than when Bill tried to run them into the ground.

I like both companies.My last Remingtons are good rifles.I have one that would not shoot and it is the first Remington I have ever had that has that problem. Remington has it and said they would make it right.My old Ruger M77 Tang safety is a great gun as well. I had a new Hawkeye it shot well but the bolt was as rough as a cob. I sent it back twice and they got it smoothed out but it was a loose fitting bolt and it never was any where near as smooth as my old Ruger or my Remington XCR. My XCR and my ADL cheapo shoot extremely well.The XCR is as smooth as butter the smoothest action I have on any rifle and I have several and different brands. The Remingtons and my Savages are the best shooters.
roc1

The basic question was in comparing .270 vs. 7mm RemMag, for his uses.

Since this has degenerated mostly into a squabble of Remington vs. Ruger, it's pointless to keep on wasting bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back