Ruger M77 Mark II accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servo77

The local gunstore has a Ruger .270 M77 at a blowout price. I would love to pick it up, as it ia beautiful walnut stock and blued action, but I have heard bad things about their accuracy. Also, their triggers seem to be really heavy. Any thoughts on the model?

I have owned several Rugers over the years. In 1991 I bought a Ruger 77 Mark II in 243 that shot 5/8" consistently. Rugers used to be pretty bad in the 80s'. In the early 90's they switched to hammer-forged barrels and the accuracy improved dramatically. Still no match for a Remington, but the price and appearance are very nice.
You will probably need to have the trigger worked on or replaced ($50-60). I guess Ruger believes in lawyer-proofing the triggers on their guns.

Ruger M77

Servo--I have a Ruger M77 Mk II Target, in .243. Love it. It shoots better than I can. Trigger is very decent for a factory trigger; I wouldn't call it junk.

So, if yr in the market for a .270Win, snap 'er up, sez I!

Ruger Mark ll accuracy

I have several M77 Mark 2's and don't have a bad shooter in the bunch.
My M77/22 in Target Grey and Laminated is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot.
My M77 Stainless in 30-06 is exceptional also and the rest are just great shooters. Never had a bad Ruger out of the 30+ that I own!!! :)

Mine's in .223. Half-MOA from the giit-go, for three-shot groups, even before I put the Timney on it. Now it's really easy to keep tight groups.

I've shot mostly 52-grain to blunt-nose 70-grain. All tight group.

Art

I have never had a problem with accuracy with a M77. The two that I have will hold their own against Rem and Win. The trigger can be fixed just as it can on Rems and Wins.

I just recently purchased a Ruger M77 it is the target rifle 26 in. SS in .223. I have nothing but praise. It is under 1" groups at 100 yards when it comes to accuracy. I of course was using a scope to achieve these results. I currently am using an optronic scope. It is under a hundred dollars(At midwayusa.com), but it is dead accurate and holds its zero after a long day at the range. I really have no major complaints about the gun. I don't know if it because I have the target model, but mine came with a two stage trigger and I have no intent of ever replacing or having work done on it. The pull is light and crisp ideal for most target shooters. I have a savage in .30-06 and a Remington in .308 that are accumulating dust because I have not shot them since this rifle has become my primary rifle.

I also believe the scope rings come free with all M77s so that is another bonus.

Srvo, a gunsmith with experience with those triggers can polish the sear engagement a bit, and lighten the trigger spring a bit. Sort of a cost comparison deal. $?? for a nice trigger, or around $70 for a really good trigger.

The installation of a Timney is very easy. A little grinding of the safety lug for proper fit and that's it. I did two passes with the bench grinder and a minute or so cleanup with a stone and that was it. Ten minutes?

Art

Ruger M77 MKII

I too, own one of these .223s with a very fine scope and it will do to ride the river with! I cannot compliment the late Mr. Bill Ruger enough for the fine firearms he designed or had his Engineers design and made available to us,

most of the examples talked about here are heavy barreled models. The one I am inquiring about is a sporter barrel.

I have one in a sporter barrel,no irons.no complaints at all, cept replacing the aluminum floorplate.why on earth an aluminum plate on such a fine rifle?

put a 6-24x on it, cheekrest,harris long bipod and it will do its job as long as I do mine.mines in 223 remington,I found a good load and it is very consistant and accurate.it uses a modified mauser action, very smooth.the scope rings are steel and they fit snug in the receiver.the scope and rings have remained zeroed for over 15 years.

I think ruger makes a great bolt action rifle.most rifles will have a pet load that performs exceptionally well and often handloading will even greatly improve a guns potential too.check ballistics charts to see where you wanna go and go from there.

I have a .308 sporter model M77 MkII in stainless. It's the standard sporter barrel-not the newer lightweight carbine or the heavy barrel. When originally purchased in the 1990s, it had extractor problems (this was one of the non-controlled feed claw extractor M77MkIIs-they have since made it a controlled feed model). The factory repaired it by bending the extractor some. Accuracy was quite iffy and deteriorated as it got hotter. I recently removed the stock's upward pressure on the barrel by relieving the forend tip where it bore heavily on the barrel. I also changed out the stock trigger spring and added a trigger stop to reduce overtravel. Now it does 1.5" at 100yds with good handloads.

I own both Ruger Mk IIs and Remington 700s. I shot a one hole 2/3" group yesterday @ 100yds with my Ruger Mk II in .280 using 150 gr. Branes Triple Shocks. If you can get the Ruger for a deal, I wouldn't spend more just to buy a Remington.

Got one in .308. Similar experience as others have mentioned. Very accurate for a sporter. I'm kicking around picking up one in .223 to go with it.

accurate for a sporter

when you say "accurate for a sporter" implies you are giving something up. I have never had 20" barrel and am concerned about how compares?

When I say "very accurate for a sporter," I mean 1.5MOA or better. The trigger is heavy compared to a target rifle, but you have to remember that these were intended to be used for hunting. I don't like a trigger that only takes a sneeze to trip when I'm in the brush leaning on a tree branch to take a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back