Ruger M77 Hawkeye Or Browning BLR 7mm08

Vermonter

So,
After posting here previously about being left handed and not being able to find any decent hunting rifles I have found two. So here's the deal.....

Ruger M77 Hawkeye left handed. Caliber .270 win

Or

Browing BLR 7mm-08 (lightly used)

I can get both for within $50 of each other.

I know balistically I am really splitting hairs here but I was wandering about specific knowledge of either of these guns.

Planning to hunt deer, bear, yotes, and maybe someday a moose however if I was ever lucky enough to get a moose tag I would probably buy a gun for that hunt specifically.

Thanks, Vermonter

ruger 77 or Blr

I hear good things about both rifles. I would go blr for sure but 7mm08 is sometimes hard to find.

I am in a remote area and don't want to have to reload or order ammo. Plus the ruger bolt may be more accurate. Thoughts?

Well, you have sure thrown quite a dilemma at me with this one. Normally I would say the Ruger because I love Ruger hawkeyes. However, I am so against the .270 that I have to recommend the Browning. 7mm bullets are just so much more fun. But, if you don't reload and you want a lot of bullet options then the .270 is probably the winner.

Wouldn't matter, but, being a LHer, I'd get the Ruger. My LH is a M77 in 25-06. I just absolutely love it. Got a Bushnell Elite 5x15x15 on it. That is a Leupold 3x9, had it on last year. A .270 is fine, and will work on any deer, or bear. I saw a 700 lb moose killed with a 270, so nothing short about it there. Though, as you say, you'd probably want another gun, probably a heavier caliber. I'm not a moose hunter, except on the internet, lol, so, I couldn't tell you what you need.

7-08 will do anything the 270 will do. We all know that. BLR is as accurate as anything out there. I just like a good LH
bolty at a good price. Let us know what you decide. :)

2506122.jpg

250612.jpg

ruger lefty

Terminator,
I have never moose hunted either saw one fly fishing based on that big guy I think I would go with a cannon. Or a rifle from far far away.

Nice pics btw. I like the look of the ruger better. As for accuracy I had no idea about the blr no experience with one.

I know a woman, she regularly kills crows with her BLR in .243. Her husband talked to me about it for years, till I saw it, I always thought it was a bolty. BLR's are darn accurate. The 7-08 is one of the most accurate rounds ever sold. There is not enough difference between them to ever matter. Ultimately, it is just a matter of what you like.

Good luck. Finally, one thing that I don't like about a BLR, is that the box mag is right at the balancing point of the rifle, making prolonged one-handed carry, somewhat uncomfortable. Also, if you are going to reload, the bolty has better extraction capability. I'm anxious to see what you get.

choice made

Well terminator and the rest you will be happy to know I am the proud new owner of a Ruger M77 left handed bolt. Have not chosen a scope. Will do that tomorrow then post a range report.
Thanks for the help, Vermonter

congrats on your purchase.
I just purchased a grey laminate hawkeye in 300 win mag LH as well. I put a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 on it and am quite happy with it. It shoots well my only dislike is the action feels like the bolt is wrapped in sand paper. I was told on these forums to sit in front of the TV and just cycle the action which would clean it up. Anyway hope yours shoots as good as mine.

Congrats, I've got a 280 SS Hawkeye and a SS Compact 260. Only two rifles I've ever owned that didn't require a trigger job.

I was doing a little research, the Ruger is indeed a slightly modified Mauser action. Very strong, very rugged. Good extraction. I'd like to see some photos when you get the chance.

new toy

Terminator,
Just got back from scoping it. Went with a Bushnell trophy xt. Had just enough light for four shots. After one shot adjusted for windage and put a three shot group just a little high. Got a sling on it and I am loving life. I will take it out for much longer and post a full compliment of pics. Again t
hanks for the help.

Well, I like the 7-08 more than the .270 but I like the Hawkeye more than the BLR. I would go with the Hawkeye, in .270 if you must, but preferably in another caliber.

I like the rifle, like the caliber, and like the scope. I would rather have a Bushnell than a Leupold any day of the week. My Elite 3200 5x15x50 on my 25-06, M77 mk2, LH, is twice the quality that I enjoyed from the Leupold 3x9x40 that I took off of it.

Bushnells focus better at the ocular end of the scope, bringing the crosshairs into a sharp focus, for me. So, our rifles are not that much different, now, are they? :) I have a 24", medium, barrel. Likely the .270 is running a 22" barrel. Makes no difference in the world. Your rifle will kill any deer or black bear or hog on the planet. You can get ammo at any place, if you don't handload, now is a great time to start. Again, congratulation. You have a fine set up there.

caliber difference

I am no Bob Lee Swagger (movie reference anyone?) But I am a hunter. And as a hunter I wanted a bullet I could get anywhere. And as for the setup I may sleep with it later if the lady allows it lol.

I've got an m77 MK. II .270 that drives tacks.. So you can't go wrong with that route.. I recommend a leupold (I prefer the VX-ii or higher) or zeiss scope.. Like the caliber of the BLR, not a fan of how they look, but they are great guns..

Last edited:
Back