Ruger light revolver in 22 mag?

Short bbl rob it off and maybe I should concentrate on post-stroke stregthing thing and forget the 22 mag?

That would be my advice. The 22 Mag from a short revolver barrel will be roughly equal to a 22 from a rifle. Better than nothing, but not nearly as good as something bigger.

It's not clear from the original post if your limitation is hand strength to pull the trigger or dealing with recoil.

If you must go 22 Mag, get some of the new ammo designed for handguns. 22 Mag rifle ammo is loud and has amazing flash when fired from a short barrel.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...ster-magnum-rimfire-wmr-40-grain-hollow-point

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...-grain-bonded-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-50

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/9...ire-wmr-45-grain-flex-tip-expanding-box-of-50

.22 Magnum is fine for self defense. It has light recoil and excellent penetration. Out of a 2" barrel .22 Mag is approximately equal to .22lr out of an 18" rifle barrel.

Fourteen years ago, my youngest daughter was staying alone in an apartment house in an urban area adjacent to a somewhat sketchy neighborhood in terms of criminal activity, while she was attending law school. Unlike her older sister, although she liked shooting "twenty-twos", the youngest one detested shooting anything with recoil and no amount of "coaching" was able to change her aversion to it.
Because I wanted her to have some modicum of home protection, I bought her a 9-shot Taurus Model 94 revolver, chambered in .22 Magnum. Today, I no doubt would have opted for a Ruger LCR, chambered in .327 Magnum but loaded with .32 S&W Longs, but I did what I could for what seemed best at the time.
Though I never felt completely comfortable with the little Taurus, I consoled myself with the reality that nine .22 Magnum bullets would be a better self-defense strategy than harsh words or waving poison ivy at an intruder.

The casual "perp" will lose all interest in his misguided ways as soon as the first bullet hits him regardless of caliber. As others have stated above, use what you can. You're not going to stop anyone unless they're hit in the central nervous system. In that case, even a .22lr will stop the action. Stopping a game animal and stopping a miscreant are two different scenarios.

I would not like it if some one shot me with a 22mag and I think 10 rounds would stop most people that would as good as 6 rounds of a 32

I have killed enough coyotes with a 22 magnum rifle (with Winchester 40 gr hp, the only true jacketed rounds back in the 90's), to know it works well. I also owned a 22 magnum handgun, and it was way too loud for me, it sounded like a 357 magnum.

There's plenty of .22 Magnum ammo, including Speer Gold Dots, on the auction sites. I think I paid $18 a box for it with shipping.

There's plenty of .22 Magnum ammo, including Speer Gold Dots, on the auction sites. I think I paid $18 a box for it with shipping.
What auction website was this and what year was this? On GB, I'm not finding any Speer .22 Magnum Gold Dots.

A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .50 cal.

This is true enough as cliches go, but it wrongly supposes that these are the only two alternatives. A hit with a 50 cal is best of all.

You should always shoot the most powerful gun / cartridge that you can hit with.

Unless there are some unusual physical restrictions, that's not going to be a 22 mag revolver.

Back